[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got a new Asus Zenbook UX303UA-5DH1T ultrabook. So far
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: mycomputerpic.jpg (18 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
mycomputerpic.jpg
18 KB, 360x360
Just got a new Asus Zenbook UX303UA-5DH1T ultrabook.

So far so good. Only downside is the left click is loud, but I guess I can get used to double tapping the trackpad like a modern person.

Otherwise it seems fine so far. I mainly bought this because although I wanted the Dell XPS13 or 15, I couldn't get it with the specs I wanted without spending like 1500 bucks.

The zenbook allows me to have 256GB SSD, 8GB ram, touch screen (not that I really care about that) for about $840 which is much cheaper than what I wanted in the XPS.

I have time to return it though, and I was also thinking about the Toshiba Satellite S55 with i7 processor, 1TB HDD, 8 or 12GB RAM, 4k output, bigger keyboard, 15inch screen.

I really liked the Toshiba, it's specs were better than the zenbook although I really liked the idea of the SSD and the battery life and quietness of this device. Previous laptop was a 19inch screen Acer Aspire and it was great but the battery life was shit and it seemed the Toshiba would be similar.

Also I don't really game on my laptop or do any rendering or serious computer stuff, so all that power seemed a bit unnecessary for me although I did like it.

I have til Jan 15 to return this and get something else so just seeing what /g/ recommends.

Also this is my first computer with windows 10. Not sure how I feel about it, seems like a lot of extra and useless stuff that I don't need. Curious to see what /g/ has to say. I kind of want to use another OS but I've always used Windows and I don't know if something like Linux would be too steep of a learning curve. Like, I don't get this "edge" stuff, there's so many features with windows 10 that I don't think I'll need to use. I like the basic point and click interface of previous windows operating systems.
>>
>>52091238
if you want some serious performance go for the 13 inch retina macbook pro, it has a 27W CPU, not the 15W ULV ultrabook bullshit, it also has iris graphics while 99,99% of ultrabooks has Intel HD. you will pay a little more but it's worth it if you seek for quality. you can always bootcamp and run windows jusy fine on it.
>>
File: shatted-hinge.jpg (83 KB, 1200x495) Image search: [Google]
shatted-hinge.jpg
83 KB, 1200x495
>>52091238
i suggest returning not because of left click is loud but because you have a model which has almost 100% chance for hinge to break, google it up.

they have not been giving a fuck about this hinge problem since intel i5-i7 4000 series and Asus Zenbooks are currently on skylake 6000 series ones with same exact problem.
>>
>>52091334

Thank you, I'm not really a mac guy but would consider that. It's just the price that I'm really hung up about. I don't make a lot of money so this is a huge purchase for me.

>>52091443

Thank you for posting, I did not know about the hinge issue.

Is there any particular laptop/ultrabook you would recommend that is around the $800-$900 price range.

I was going to get the base model XPS13 which is $799 but it only had 128GB SSD and only 4GB RAM whereas the zenbook is double that.
>>
>>52091560
I use rMBP myself.

base model XPS13 is fine, just add bigger ssd and more ram later on. Asus might have double the specs but it has cheap build quality, mediocre trackpad,mediocre speakers and nasty breaking hinge.
>>
>>52091676

I just looked it up, it looks like SSD could be upgrade-able but RAM is soldered on so it's not really.

I may return and get the XPS13. Is the hinge problem really that bad with the asus? If so that's a big problem as I wanted something that was going to be durable.
>>
>>52091676
even the worst con of machine is getting/has gotten fix

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9869/dell-issues-patch-for-content-adaptive-brightness-control-on-the-xps-13

http://www.t3.com/news/you-can-now-disable-the-dell-xps-13s-annoying-contrast-feature
>>
>>52091806
I would just save up and get model with more ram then.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-UX303-13-Inch-Laptop-model/product-reviews/B00KTL21RA

Asus particularly doesn't give a fuck about quality control on their devices and they have repeated this mistake for 3 intel gens already. I'd avoid Asus like plague. sorry.
>>
>>52091334
Literally the only thing stopping me from purchasing an apple product is the fucking logo slapped everywhere
>>
>>52091238
>buying laptops this thin
i hope it breaks like this anons >>52091443
>>
>>52092331
it has literally no logo on its front, and you can just put a sticker on its back
>>
>>52093024
I guess.
>>
>>52091915
>http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-UX303-13-Inch-Laptop-model/product-reviews/B00KTL21RA

I might but the XPS I want is so expensive relative to the ASUS which is about half the price.

Basically buying the XPS 13 with all the whistles and bells I want would be about a month's wages.
>>
File: CZfyoYP.jpg (529 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
CZfyoYP.jpg
529 KB, 2448x3264
>>52091443
Another broken hinge here. I babied the shit out of this laptop and got screwed after one year.
>>
>>52094237

motherfuck, I wish I did more research before buying this today. I mean, I knew I wanted the xps but couldnt really afford it. This really seemed like the next best thing.

The hinge issue really seems to be the only downside here, unfortunately it seems pretty serious. I wanted a durable device.

And we're sure that they haven't updated or rectified this issue for 2015 models?
>>
>>52094348
I have no idea if anything has changed. Didn't even know this was a known problem until this thread, although I suspected it. I contacted them last week to complain but I don't expect they'll do anything for me.

I was also considering the XPS 13 but went with the UX303LA due to price.

>ANUS

Not even once.
>>
>>52091334
>>52091238
UX303LN/LB have nvidia 840m/940m
>>
>>52094426

This seems to be a common problem. I think I might just return this and blow my money on the XPS13.

I just want a laptop that will last me for years. And right now it seems the XPS13 will do this better than the ASUS.
>>
>tfw I just ordered an ASUS laptop
It's not a memebook though and it just needs to mostly sit at home, so I'm not all that concerned about build quality as long as it isn't completely fucked. I'll be rough with it in the first week or so to see if there are some glaring build issues.
>>
>>52094980
I was really careful with mine. It mostly sat on my desk but I'd take it other places sometimes. The hinge broke when I opened it one day. Two screw mounts broke free of the lid as shown in >>52094237
>>
>>52095330
what kind of laptop?
>>
>>52095344
Zenbook UX303, like OP. Mine is a 2014 model, but I'm not sure if that matters.
>>
>>52095459
oh, that's what I meant by not a memebook (ultrabook). I got a normal laptop from them.
>>
>>52095466
Maybe you'll have better luck. IDK, this is my first ASUS. Before that I had a 2008 Toshiba Satellite and that thing was a tank. Build quality was great but it just got too outdated.
>>
>>52095498
I have an old lenovo that I'm replacing. Ordered a new Lenovo thinking "how bad could they really have gotten". Fucking thing died from trying to add an SSD. Sent back, giving ASUS a shot.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.