[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ like Thinkpads so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1449182019827.jpg (445 KB, 850x599) Image search: [Google]
1449182019827.jpg
445 KB, 850x599
Why does /g/ like Thinkpads so much?
>>
>>52089638
Because it's a major brand they can worship while still maintaining absolute hate for Apple and all its products.
>>
It's a meme
>>
>>52089638
very cheap, sturdy, simple maintenance + upgrades, hassle free linux support.
>>
Because why bother bitching and moaning about how much ram a web browser add on uses unless you use some antiquated shitty laptop that doesn't have enough power?
>>
>>52089638
its a 200 dollar computer with an i5 and decent integrated graphics.
>>
>>52089638
Good keyboards. Even the recent ones, which are worse than the old 7-row boards on the T520 and earlier, are much nicer to type on than anything Apple's ever made.
Easy to find and inexpensive, since business upgrade cycles dump lots of them on the used market.
Repairable, you get full teardown guides, which other manufacturers don't always like to provide, especially for consumer models.
If you hate modern flat design and minimalist styling like Apple exemplifies, a boxy black Thinkpad with a bunch of ports is as close to its exact opposite as you can get.
Good Linux support.

>>52089701
Also this
>>
>>52089638
It's because /g/ likes to pride themselves as the "anti-consumer".

They like to take basic hardware and use it to it's potential without spending an arm and a leg. Is /g/ frugal or just full of NEETs? Who knows? Any product /g/ recommends though is going to be the same way. That's why people on /g/ shill the Moto G all the time. It's like the Thinkpad of the smartphone world.

Thinkpads aren't necessarily bad computers. I have an x220 myself and it runs fine and only costed me $200 for the computer itself and $50 for the IPS display.
>>
File: x200.jpg (307 KB, 617x349) Image search: [Google]
x200.jpg
307 KB, 617x349
Got a x200 mostly because the keyboard layout. Also easy to change parts and Libreboot master race. Must say I like the appearance too.
>>
>>52089638
because they're a good balance between expansion and performance. Also they're keyboards are consistently not shit
>>
File: thinkopad.jpg (73 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
thinkopad.jpg
73 KB, 500x450
>not owning a thinkopad

Come on guys, it's almost 2016.
>>
>>52090399
>>52090399
Autistic prick
>>
They are cheap and easy to repair. Personally I'd love to have one but with the chiclet keyboard. t450
for example

t430 and t440 gets uncomfortably hot.
>>
File: giphy.gif (470 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
470 KB, 500x283
>>52090442
not him but why u mad?
>>
>>52089638
why does /g/ shitpost so much?
>>
Hipster faggots.

Owning a thinkpad, putting linux on it and overloading it with preteen chink child cartoons is probably the most pathetic thing I've seen anyone do with computing equipment.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.