[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i am in way over my head on a project right now. i watched
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Intel_xeon_logo.jpg (374 KB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
Intel_xeon_logo.jpg
374 KB, 3000x2250
i am in way over my head on a project right now.
i watched a linus tech tips video and took on a project in an area i'm unfamiliar with and bought a server mobo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIlB49SNTI
before anyone flames me i have a gaming rig and a laptop already this is just a project to see if i can make this and see its performance. and see if i can get windows 7 running on it.

its a dual 1133 socket supermicro board.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-Dual-Socket-LGA1366-Motherboard-X8DTT-F-SG007-Rev-2-/361450812379?
now i fucked up and bought the wrong cpus for it at first but its time to fix that.
so my cpus have to be arc architecture cpus. would there be anything wrong with these cpus for that board?
http://www.amazon.com/2-8GHz-Intel-Socket-LGA1366-SLBF4/dp/B003EI1ZG8/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451249084&sr=1-3&keywords=X5680

or should use these. they cost a bit more but give a little more performance. worth the extra 20 a core?
http://www.amazon.com/SLBVA-Intel-Processor-X5667-Cache/dp/B0072OP2JQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1451249576&sr=1-8&keywords=xeon+lga1366

and someone told me supermicro takes a certain type of ram but my google foo fails me.
>>
You were told last time, don't fucking bother. You've already wasted enough money, instead of wasting any more just save up for a single CPU configuration that will give you the performance you need.
>>
>>52088351
its my money i already have a couple of rigs. thought people might understand better and not be so pessimistic if i made it known this is just a project. as far as wasting money im only goig to be in this a couple of hundred dollars.

this board seems pretty anti fun on this. im not saying ill even succeed but you have to have knowledge and research to do this. i went in too hot and spent money on parts that dont work. i am only trying to find parts that will and continue on a personal project for fun and everyone screams HURR DURR BETTER WAYS TO DO IT. i have computers this is for fun and to see what i can make on the cheap. just too see if i CAN do it.
>TL;DR i have rigs this is for fun get off muh nuts.
>>
>>52088351
oh and i was also told supermicros cant be turned into pcs and i found people on forums with this same mobo running windows 7 and operating as a desktop without issue. i may not know what i need to know to do this but thats why im here and on forums looking for info.
>>
File: sdfaaa.jpg (98 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
sdfaaa.jpg
98 KB, 640x640
>>52088511
>im not saying ill even succeed but you have to have knowledge and research to do this
I know, I've done it. It's not easy or straight forward and in my opinion you are likely to fail (well, you already have).

Now, I have the knowledge to help you, but that would mean me wasting time helping someone with a stupid project. If you really want a project try something more practical that you haven't done before and a bit simpler, something like a small MITX build.

>>52088546
This is what I'm talking about, there are certain boards that won't work well and shouldn't be used. That one you bought is fucking terrible for example. There are however more typical boards, I've used both Super Micro and Intel ones in the past.
>>
>>52088683
so i shouldn't attempt a project that cost me a very small amount of money because its hard?

this is how you learn. you try fuck up figure out why and try again. im not throwing 1000s at this im just giving it a shot. i know there are way better board options out there but this one CAN work i've seen it. now its going to take some doing and modification and fucking up to get it done but worst case scenario i order a new board when i give up. the board is already here so why not at least try?

im just not understanding the attitude of everyone on this has noone ever built something for fun here?

im not saying i bought the best option im saying i bought the cheapest and with some work they CAN work not that they are the best for this.
and i get it you do this but then you come to my threads tell me to give up instead of helping. you could help me faster than anyone else here and instead you say give up noob. so no dude fuck you. there is no reason for me to at least try when the parts are this cheap and worst case scenario i buy a new board that will take the same chip set they arnt fucking that expensive.

im sorry bro but people like you piss me right off. if someone is over their head but they know it you try to help. you dont scream at them to quit. this isnt the first time i've taken on projects out of my leauge and it wont be the last. you learn more from fucking up prjects like this than you successfully assembling a pc out of plug and play lego parts.
>>
File: IMG_20141125_205719.jpg (327 KB, 810x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141125_205719.jpg
327 KB, 810x1080
>>52088837
For a decent board and two CPUs it's probably going to cost you $200 at least, then you've got the cost of RAM (and the potentially difficulty in finding stuff that will be compatible), a decent PSU that has two EPS connectors, a case that will take an EATX board (and if you get an SSI EEB board, modifying it to fit), a storage drive, and finally two CPU coolers (which can also be a pain in the arse to get to fit).

So, in the end you'll end up spending a fairly significant amount of money and likely running into quite a few problems (some of which will require you to spend even more money) for a system that really isn't anything special. And, this is all assuming that you keep at it and don't end up giving up.

> if someone is over their head but they know it you try to help. you dont scream at them to quit.
Me telling you to quit is me helping. When I built mine I didn't know half the stuff I knew now, but I did my research before buying so I didn't end up with a shitty board and knew the problems I'd have to overcome, and I didn't make such a stupid mistake as to buy CPUs that won't even work in a dual socket board.

Sorry, but I really don't think you're cut out to build this sort of thing. I don't mean that as an insult and there are a lot of people just like you that I wouldn't expect to know about this stuff.
>>
>>52089041
whats so bad about the board other than shape and access to the pci slot? i have a ribbon for my gpu and building a case is nothing for me. i may not be amazing with computers but i am handy. building a custom case is not an issue at all.
>>
>>52089041
lets just assume money is no object. i mean i do have a budget but throwing a few hundred at this isnt going to break me bro. im not rich or anything but i have a couple of hundred i can throw at this and not cry.

i WILL admit i jumped into this unprepared though. half a bottle of silver rum and some dabs make impulse buys a thing pretty quick.
>>
>>52089188
yeah brah u kno half a bottle of rum and a dab later u know dude ahaha i was just makin them impulse buys hahaha im not rich or anything brah but a couple hundred bucks aint shit to me u kno i wont cry bruh huehuehue ahaha brah u kno.
tl;dr you sound like a fag
>>
>>52089274
im honest. i mean yeah a couple of hundred dollars would suck to lose but this is my hobby i build shit i wont be mad if i spend a couple of hundred dollars on it. and i was both drunk and stoned when i bought this. im not trying to be a swagbro or anything but dropping a couple of hundred on a project is not unreasonable for me and i wont be mad if it fucks off. everyone seems so worried about where im spending my money when i just want technical advice for the most part.
>>
>>52089147
If you want to build a case for that thing then go ahead, that's probably you're only option. You'll also need to rig up two PSUs to power the thing (assuming those 20 pin connectors have the standard pinout, the manual says it requires a proprietary PSU so you may have to rewire them if you can even find the pinout).. Then you only have a single expansion slot so no option to add SATA III or USB 3.0 or a sound card, speaking of which that board has no audio outputs so you'll need a USB DAC.

No matter what this build is going to have some problems that need working out, by buying a shitty board you've just given yourself a shit load more.

>>52089188
It's going to be more than a couple hundred (you do know that word means 2, right?), but if that ain't shit to you then fuck it, you might as well do a dual 2011 build. At least then you'll get performance you couldn't otherwise get from a single CPU.
>>
>xeon image
>Linus mentioned on the second time

Yep.. pleb posting..

You're a retard OP, even stupider than the people who buy AMD for its core count.

You're throwing good money away on a build centered around hardware that will be 6 years old soon.
>>
>>52089350
this is the kind info i needed thank you im not scared of this i just needed to know what i need. wouldnt a gpu with hdmi out handle the sound? i am fine with this work load i just need info like this. also i just checked the power supplies from the company they arnt bad on price and there are used psus on ebay for them you helped a lot with that post. any other info i need to know?

>>52089388
oj yes i am a super pleb when it comes to pcs thats why im here. this isnt my only pc i just really like the idea of building this.for fun. people here seem so serious but i am doing this for the fun and the experience of building it.
>>
>>52089511
HDMI audio would work, if that's adequate for you.

The other main concerns are getting CPUs that are actually capable of running on dual socket boards (either beginning with an X, or most E and L, but no W's), getting compatible RAM (I think Super Micro has compatibility lists, if you can't find it your best chance of success is going to be 2-4GB ECC sticks), and getting some coolers that fit. For the latter you can either buy shitty heatsinks designed for threaded 1366 backplates and make sure the case you build has really good airflow (and keep the CPU TDP low) or modify the backplates to take regular heatsinks (the Hyper 212 works well, as shown in my previous photo).
>>
>>52089729
i checked and basically as long as they are arc they should work as long as they are the same model right?
i found an arc compatibility list and this was the best cpu i could find after running through the list.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EI1ZG8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A1HNM1NMUEAGQ

and those do support the turbo boost feature up to 3.2ghz.

the power supply is looking tricky. it says the psu has to be ssi compliant but i cant even figure out what that means. it also claims to have a proprietary plug but then im reading where people are saying their 24 pin connectors are working. more research to be done but im feeling good about this if those processors work.
>>
>>52089729
also yeah hdmi audio is plenty. again this isnt my main pc its not getting hooked up to a sound system just a 24inch tv.
>>
>>52088243
Why would do that shit just to put crap CPUs in it?
Go dual 6-core or go home.
>>
>>52090179
actually you can get 8 cores if you drop a lot of cash. but yeah this is more proof of concept i may ramp up the specs over time if i get it set up and fall in love with it. and the cheapest 6 cores are over 150 a piece.
>>
>>52090199
There isn't an 8 core LGA 1366 CPU.
>>
>>52090220
open foot insert mouth. my bad.
>>
>>52090147
I don't know what you mean by arc, never heard that before. The only thing close to that is Intel's ARK site, which is basically a database of all their products (mostly CPUs of course). On that site it will tell you on each models page whether it supports 1 or 2 CPU configurations, and you can also find the info on Wikipedia.

That CPU will work though, I ran two of them.

>ssi compliant
That's basically an alternative to ATX, it's a specification for motherboards and I'm guessing PSUs too (my SSI EEB was ATX PSU compliant).
>>
>>52090284
sweet then yeah it just takes a 24 pin psu. i may get a noise filter too because everything says they are weird about their power and dont like noisy lines.
>>
>>52090284
i feel bad calling you an asshat now you have actually pointed me in a lot of directions at this point once yu decided to give me info instead of telling me to quit lol.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.