[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I play games on my pc and im looking for a usb controller. Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
I play games on my pc and im looking for a usb controller. Is this any good /g/? Any other suggestions?
>>
>>52087411
>/g/ - Gaming hardware
>>
>>52087411
>>>/v/, not even memeing. It's not about which technology is best, it's about what feels better when gayming. Ask the gaymers.
>>
No it's shite
>>
Op here. My bad...
>>
>>52087411
Its pretty good for everything, even shitposting on 4chan. I even used it to type this
>>
>>52087612
also just get a Xbox 360 controller. They're cheap and there's native support in Windows.

But if you're hellbend on your steam gaymen controller go for it. Most of these threads are not about wanting suggestions but just confirmation.
>>
Its OK but the problem with the Steam Controller is that you need to use Big Picture Mode with it. For pirated games you need to add them to the Steam library and them launch from there. Everything can be binded in any way if you can get crafty enough so that's a plus. Its not a stand alone controller, I would recommend 360 controller to go with it.
>>
>>52087746
>pirated games
nigga just pay for the game if you really want to play it
>>
>>52087777
Nice quads.
I've rather die than give money to Ubisoft.
>>
>>52087411
The conundrum with this controller is that it's supposed to be best when you want to play proper PC games but on your couch instead but also capable of being a console game or controller game controller.

But...Touchpads are not good at controlling PC games. You would be better off with a wireless trackball and keyboard. A wireless trackball is every bit as comfy as a gamepad and with a keyboard in your lap you don't lose any functionality. Trackballs are by nature much smoother and more precise at tracking than a touchpad due to a touchpad needing to read angular differences in touch to interpret input. Trackball is as mouse like as you are going to get without using a mouse.

Then the other part, of it being a proper controller, well, it's not. The ABXY button placement is not very comfortable, making it better for infrequent PC game hot key switching rather than proper controller game use. There's no real dpad and the touchpad dpad works it's not as good as a proper dpad. The analog stick is nice and functional but it would be more comfortable if they swapped positions with the left touchpad but then the touchpad wouldn't fit properly.

Configuring the thing is also annoying. One of the features I was most interested in was the community configs but the community configs feature is horribly implemented at this time because anyone who knows what they're doing will be on the beta client because it has better features, except the community configs don't seem to show on beta. So the whole controller seems very beta right now, not ready for official release.

It also sucks having to configure through BPM. I would never use BPM normally but if you already use it by default, this wouldn't be an issue.

I think its best feature is its on screen keyboard it is way the fuck better than anything else on windows.

I think the average person would be much happier with an x360 pad and a trackball than with this thing.
>>
>>52087854
if you would rather die than give money to Ubisoft why in the ever living fuck would you want to play their games? are you autistic?
>>
I've tried it. Its for manlets.

Tiny buttons. The placement between buttons and analog stick is too close. The backplate is too clicky.

This is a technolgy demonstrator. Its not bad per-se, but its got faults that shows that its a new controller. Future hardware revision should look into these.
>>
>>52087964
Why couldn't have someone told me this before I bought this shit.

Goddamit I ask all around 4chan except for /g/ and everyone gives me shit for an opinion so I just get it.
>>
>>52088025
I think normies are generally happy with it. It works well enough for them. I am extremely autistic about precision and ergonomics.
>>
>>52088051
I am too because I dont play normie games, just my autistic military stuff.
>>
Seems completely impractical for 2D platformers and such.

You know, half the catalog of steam.

If I wanted to use a stick instead of a d-pad I would use the 360 controller.
>>
I think the USB Xbox 360 is the best PC controller to date.
>>
>>52088067
There's also the motion controller which really makes this controller a feature filled controller but it drifts too frequently because they cheaped out on the motion control chip. The Wii U controller and most flagship smartphones these days include both an accelerometer and gyro AND a compass/magnet to correct drift. This lacks the ability to use the earth's magnetic field like the Wii U controller so it suffers from some extra drift that needs not exist. Again, normies seem more than thrilled about using the steamtroller motion control in shooters so I dunno. I guess my standards are just too high.
>>
xbone controller has usurped 360 controller

so if you're in the market, just get an xbone controller
>>
>>52088067
this is way better for e.g. ARMA as infantry but not as good as the 360 controller if you're driving or piloting.

It's a catch-all system and is loaded with tech and a bright future if valve get their shit together and release the drivers.

I'm not super keen on the ergonomics of the touchpads though. I think you'd need large hands to be really comfortable with how distant they are from the grips
>>
>>52088247
I don't think game stop will take this shit back knowing how they operate though
>>
>>52088762
I'd be surprised if they didn't it's not a video game. I am keeping mine but I probably should have returned it. I probably will never use it again but someday maybe I will, once the software for it is far more advanced.
>>
>>52087411
Just get an Xbox controller.

Got one recently to play MGRR which i got for like 3 euro, feels awkward man.
>>
>not buying the steam controller for collector value alone
you know this thing is gonna have like a hundred revisions a be the defacto standard game controller someday, don't you?

Man, what I would have given for one of those trackball gamepads right now. I'd like to meet the shitlord who decided touchpads were better.
>>
>>52089450
Oh, you mean the guy who decided that it's totally expensive to design a trackball controller that's easy to clean? Touchpads don't require cleaning and require far less engineering to do.
>>
>>52089503
I'm really amazed at how trackballs need no cleaning whatsoever. I've had this m570 trackball since I got my steam controller from preorder and haven't needed to clean it once. It's not like those old ball mice where the rollers would get gunked up. It uses a laser to track instead and the bearings roll perfectly. I use this thing for like 8+ hours every day.

Touchpads are just fucking awful. You would need a pinpoint instead of a thumb to make them any kind of precise compared to a trackball. The smoothing needed is very noticeable and awful.
>>
>>52087981
>are you autistic?
Do you really need to ask?
>>
>>52089450
On the first one... is that tape?
>>
>>52087645
360pad is a piece of shit, the dpad sucks, bad l2 and r2 triggers. Get the ps3 or ps4 pad.
>>
>>52089630
You need two fingers to make tracking precise on a touchpad. The software will calculate the difference which results in a small movement that means it's possible to do both fine control and course control with touchpads..
>>
>>52087411
The Steam Controller is great. Yes it takes time to get used to, but that's true for any new kind of input device. Watch Woodsie's videos on YouTube, he shows the basics of how to configure the controller for comfy play is basically every genre.
>>
>>52090367
>You need two fingers to make tracking precise on a touchpad. The software will calculate the difference which results in a small movement that means it's possible to do both fine control and course control with touchpads..
You obviously have not used a Steam Controller. I can play fucking Osu! on this thing using Mouse-Region mode. Plus for FPS, the pad works well for faster aiming while using the gyro makes accurate aiming even easier.
>>
>>52090367
*coarse control
>>
>>52087964
You haven't used the Steam Controller touchpad. They are smooth and accurate as fuck (obviously sensitivity/accuracy is a tradeoff, but that's where the gyro comes in), plus they're super configurable.
>>
Got one for Christmas and I'm happy.
>>
>>52089503
I would have paid the premium just so it could be a working controller that way
>>
So why wouldn't anyone not get a 360 controller?
>>
>>52090305
Playstaion remotes aren't as fluid to use on PCs tho
>>
>>52087411
I like mine a lot. It shines in FPS games, but works well for all games that don't require the claw. The ability to customize inputs and use it in games that don't support controllers is really nice too

>>52087746
You need to launch in Big Picture Mode to customize your inputs. You don't need BPM to actually use it
>>
File: vXhOZG5h.jpg (132 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
vXhOZG5h.jpg
132 KB, 1024x683
>>52087411
I have a question for you why don't you have your own performance for a controller you can literately play games on pc with just about any controller people modify these game console controllers to play on pc
>what are you 12
>>
File: DualShockController.jpg (197 KB, 550x359) Image search: [Google]
DualShockController.jpg
197 KB, 550x359
>>52091304
I prefer Dual Shock.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (233 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
233 KB, 1280x720
PS4 is the best if you're going to do USB only. You can control the mouse cursor with the center touchpad, which is really nice to have. However, in my experience, and from what i've been reading recently, the bluetooth performance is shit on PC. I lose signal completely at more than 10 feet away, and even at less than 2 feet away, there are signal drops. Use a loooong cable if you want to game from the couch.

If you want to run wireless AND you have windows 10, get the Xbone + dongle.
>>
>>52091304
inevitable stick drift
>>
No i had one and returned it. Get an xbox one controller
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.