[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I go to find old thrown out PCs? I'd like to know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1449944246966.png (745 KB, 630x508) Image search: [Google]
1449944246966.png
745 KB, 630x508
Where do I go to find old thrown out PCs?

I'd like to know what the best spot is for hitting the jackpot. Share your experiences.
>>
>>52086587
The dumpster behind any computer repair shop
>>
>>52086587
Windows 95 was shit though
>>
>>52086587
Africa
>>
I only had luck buying stuff from flea markets. Not that it's too expensive, but I hate having to pick when I could just take everything of interest and then judge if they are worth keeping.
>>
>>52086587
What can you do with old shit computers? I've thrown away a couple over the years because I have not found a use for them
>>
>>52087996
Lan parties! It's super fun to play a classic like CS 1.6 or Quake with friends.
>>
>>52088648
>friends

kek
>>
>>52088782
Yeah I forgot I was talking to neckbeards
>>
>>52088648
>implying any hardware under the sun from 2004 and up cant run those games anyway

what would be fun would be to snoop around and see if you can recover any valuable data
>>
File: d4174088_SAM_5936.jpg (458 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
d4174088_SAM_5936.jpg
458 KB, 1024x768
>>52088648
All of the non useful parts I use for the following:

CPU - Drill hole and use as keychain
Mobo - Hang on wall and use as art
Power supply - These are always useful. Use them in future projects to power AMPS and such
RAM - Can be used in other systems or also keychains if really old
GPU - Also can hang these on the wall
Fans - Make a fan with switch to use during summer or make an air powered vehicle
Heatsink - Use to cool microwaved dinners (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dmX3rQvw5M)
HDD - Use in home servers or put in your own system
Case - Use for scrap metal
>>
>>52088947
>HDD - Use in home servers or put in your own system

I would *never* use a refurbished or trash picked HDD.
>>
>>52088855
But you need a ton of different systems if you want to play with multiple people...
>>
>>52086724
If you can find one of those anymore.
The only places around me that "repair" PCs are chain stores/franchises.

There was one guy who attempted to open his own PC repair store not even a mile away from me.
Closed down about two months later.
>>
>>52088976
You don't have to put any sensitive data on it... Or just put in a reliable raid setup
>>
bump for interest
>>
Is recommendable go to a PC graveyard to look for some mech keyboards?
>>
>>52091752
no. all youll find are dell rubber domed
>>
Bumperino
>>
>>52088989
There are a few established places that are still going. A lot the other ones have either closed or converted to phone and tablet repair as their main business.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.