[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is the "leaving ur laptop plugged for too long kills the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: meme.png (2 KB, 262x130) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
2 KB, 262x130
is the "leaving ur laptop plugged for too long kills the battery" meme real?
also, memes thread
>pic related
>>
>>52086586
No.
Its all bs.
>>
Its fake. Maybe for old nimh batteries, but not on modern liions with a proper charging circuit.
>>
Depends on the battery type.
Li-Ion batteries LOVE THE SHIT out of being charged all the time, the less recharge cycles you give them , the better.

Old Ni-MH batteries (or your typical AA one) need to be fully discharged before you charge them again or this happens :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect
>>
>>52086586
If your Laptop is plugged in the battery will be charged to 100% all the time. However, the best way to store Li-Ion batteries is to have them charged somewhere between 50 and 70%. So the battery will lose its capacity a bit faster if your laptop is plugged in all the time, but it's far better to have the battery charged up to 100% than to have it near to 0%, because a deep discharge can kill a Li-Ion battery really quick.
I would just leave the battery in the laptop and replace the battery maybe after 4-5 years, because the effort to keep it at a level that is good for it is far too big. If you can't remove the battery from the laptop there is nothing you can do anyways, because the extra cycles probably hurt the battery more than beeing charged to 100% all the time. Only if you don't use the notebook for some month it may be a good idea to discharge it to about 70%.
>>
No, what does kill the battery is recharging it too many times. Most lithium ion batteries are kill after around 400 recharge cycles. However, some high quality lithium ion batteries can last more than 1,000 recharge cycles but most laptop manufacturers use cheap ones so people will keep buying more laptops.
>>
>>52086706
>>52086706
>Li-Ion batteries LOVE THE SHIT out of being charged all the time, the less recharge cycles you give them , the better.
Nope, lead-acid battery love to be fully charged all the time, Li-Ion batteries however love to be charged at 50-70%. But yes, it's probably better to have them charged at 100% than to make extra cycles. The only really bad thing one can do is to discharge them really deep or let them lying around discharged.
>>
>>52086779
>Deep discharge
What do you mean by this, like letting it discharge to sub 10%?

>Leaving it discharged is bad
How?
>>
>battery of my laptop advertised as 10hr
>its really 3.8 hr
i fucking hate these memes
>>
>>52086827
0%, under 2.5 volts a cell
>>
>>52086586
The charge circuit cuts off the battery and sends power it to your laptop directly at 100%
>>
>>52087089
This is misleading. It's true the battery will no longer be charged but the laptop will only pull from the wall what it needs. It could be pulling 0.5 amps or 2 amps for all you know. The only limitation is the laptop charger itself, most can only give your laptop 2-4 amps of current max.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.