[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
audio general

i want to add an active sub with adjustable crossover to my system. right now i have a 50W class D amp + a USB DAC/headphone amp. the DAC line out is connected to the amp, which is powering a couple of passive shelf speakers.

would it work on my system? i understand i would not have volume control over the sub this way, but i don't have any other line outputs to connect it to.
>>
/g/ why does everyone use MAC for music production? do i need an audio interface if i am not recording anything external?
>>
Do you need an amp? Or can you plug your speakers in the dac if you're just using 2.0? Does it affect the sound quality enough to be noticeable to someone who doesn't listen to lossless audio or whatever.
>>
>>52084512
A dac won't power speakers, if they were monitors yeah it'd work like that.
>>
>>52082605
> why does everyone use MAC for music production
I never have and I had a few small releases when the "dubstep bubble" was at it's peak in about 2010.

>do i need an audio interface if i am not recording anything external?
in short, yes, you'll need it so that you can use monitors if you plan on taking the craft of audio production seriously. i'd get one with maybe just 1 input too, so perhaps down the line, if you need to record a vocal, then you have the means
>>
>>52082526
For a start, the sub's active so put the amp between it and the speakers.

I'm not sure if the high level input is just passed through to the output or whether it actually feeds a signal to the sub. When I tried my active sub with active speakers using the inputs and outputs on the sub I still used the other input on the sub (just used a simple 3.5mm splitter to duplicate the output from my computer).

Perhaps try and find the manual for the sub you're after and see how they recommend hooking it all up, or just do some experimenting yourself once you've got the sub.
>>
Whats a decent cheap 2.0 sound bar? For a 32" tv, under $100. Literally any of them?
>>
>>52084635
I can't imagine that a sub $100 sound bar will be any better than the speakers built into most TVs. Either save up some money or get more conventional speakers.
>>
>>52084538
They have an external power connection, I was just asking if an amp is needed to get better sound.
>>
>>52082605
>why does everyone use MAC for music production?
most don't, actually. but a lot do, because a mac is somewhat more idiot proof and just werks out of the box.

>do i need an audio interface if i am not recording anything external?
no, you don't.
>>
Yes OP that's how you wire up an active sub using hi-level inputs. And yes, you will have control over how loud the sub is. If your amp is at 0 then your sub won't make any noise. Think of the ''volume'' meter on your sub as a equalizer or gain.
>>
What's a decent amp along the lines of the one in OP's picture? I care more about value than absolute cost.
>>
What speakers does /g/ cum over?
>>
>>52086085
Miccas
>>
>>52084981
>>52084610
thanks guise. does it make sense to have a sub under the desk? or would it need more space to sound correctly? i heard it doesn't matter where the sub is placed since the brain can't position very low frequencies, but i suspect that's bullshit.
>>
>>52086722
Yeah the thing about position is true. But the sound depends on how big or small your room is. If you have a small room you will never get proper bass unless you spend a lot of money on bass traps in the corners. I have my sub under my desk very close to me in a very small room and it's not the best. It gives some lows but it doesn't get as low as it should.
If you can make the space I recommend not putting the sub under the desk, since there's a lot of reflections there.
>>
>>52082526
Dont use high level inputs if possible, if you have any soldering experience you can easily open the amp and add a set of pre amps for the sub.
>>
>>52086886
What's wrong with hi-level inputs?
>>
File: 1451224746207.jpg (211 KB, 1280x727) Image search: [Google]
1451224746207.jpg
211 KB, 1280x727
>>52082526
Forgive my awful squiggles but this is more what you want. High level inputs are okay, but since it's active, use what's built in.

>>52082605
From what I understand, the audio pipeline in MAC OS was built for the lowest latency possible. As usual, Windows is a mess in that regard because there are several different paths audio can take. This is one area I've heard Linux actually suffers because of there being buffers everywhere that can really add up in a recording environment.

P.S. This is second hand info I've heard from a few people that make music, and since it doesn't apply to me, I haven't bothered to look deep into it. It's incorrect, pls lemme know.

>>52086722
>>52086808

In response to both, placement matters, but there is no set rule for anything. Corners are best for small subs because of boundary gain, but you also may get peaky response because you also excite all the room modes(bass traps fight this). There will be no reflections under your desk from a sub, the wavelength 100hz is roughly 10 feet, and sound doesn't care about any objects less than half its wavelength in size. And no, small rooms are far better than large rooms for bass. When playing low frequencies, the room gets so small by comparison you start getting room gain, which depending on your room can be as much as 12dB/octave. In my case, I have a sealed sub in my room, and it measures flat to 5Hz, despite its -3dB point being at 35Hz or so. I'm guessing you have a vented sub, and below port tuning they drop off at 24dB/octave, which is more than room gain can make up for. Hope this wall of text was useful.
>>
>>52087954
>As usual, Windows is a mess in that regard because there are several different paths audio can take

right clicking on your audio icon in yout tray and then selecting the relevant audio device solves this. it's the same with any DAW, selecting two audio drivers sends your audio to 2 destinations and cuases major latency. Not being an idiot and selecting your interface's driver is something even babby producers know how to do.
>>
>>52088085
Nono, not devices, I mean actual paths through the audio pipeline depending on what libraries the software calls. This is why ASIO exists, to bypass all the silliness.
>>
>>52087954
>>52088085
you're both kinda clueless t.b.h.
windows and linux are both capable of low latency audio, but it doesn't work out of the box.
you need to be a "nerd" and do "nerdy shit" like install special drivers. no hipster worth his salt got time for that.
on a mac it just werks by default and with onboard audio. (actual performance is worse than windows with asio, but who cares about benchmarks that's too nerdy.)
windows is making some baby steps to make it more just werks with wasapi, but it's not quite there yet.
>>
>>52082526
Looking for a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers for under $100 for my computer. I know nothing about speakers, any recommendations?
>>
Hey, so I got mackie cr3 monitors as a gift, pretty good bu lack bass, is it possible to add subwoofer to it and would I need to get an amp to control it?
>>
>>52086908
It goes through amplification which can distort it, especially if you push it to clipping. Itll be ok for regular use, but just know if you send the sub a distorted signal, itll reproduce a distorted signal.
>>
>>52088260
Tanks for the info, good to know.
>>
File: Dolby-Pro-Logic-IIx.svg.png (25 KB, 1280x464) Image search: [Google]
Dolby-Pro-Logic-IIx.svg.png
25 KB, 1280x464
I have a 5.1 receiver with the Pro Logic II codec and I love the L/R surround sound when I watch movies, sport event etc. Should I upgrade for Pro Logic IIx (7.1)? In other word, the Back rear speaker sound well like a 5.1 system?
>>
>>52090954
Why not get something that actually has real surround sound?
>>
>>52087954
>>>52082526 (OP)
>Forgive my awful squiggles but this is more what you want. High level inputs are okay, but since it's active, use what's built in.
thanks a bunch! would i also be able to control the whole system volume from the amp using this setup?

also, i heard that most prestigious brands like REL recommend using the hi level in/outs. i have no clue why that is though, since your explanation makes perfect sense.
>>
>>52084635
>sound bar
Literally meme aesthetic device only.

Get a regular sets of speaker and used amplifier from goodwill store and you'll be set.
>>
>>52091409
I don't get it
>>
>>52091618
Not via the amp sadly, you'd have to adjust with the DAC or system volume with the setup i posted. The small amp will only control the volume of the main speakers and the sub will control only itself.

The problem with high level inputs is they pick up any extra noise/distortion that the previous amplifier may have produced, and having to deal with the huge dynamic range. No idea why companies would suggest high level in/outs honestly. None of the gear I have even has them, but I don't have an active sub....
>>
>>52091409
it does both
>>
>>52091714
Pro Logic was made when things could only have a left and right out. While it's okay at surround, if you're gonna get something new, move to an HDMI audio setup in stead of using that super old standard.
>>
>>52091990
> if you're gonna get something new, move to an HDMI audio setup in stead of using that super old standard

I agree, but not all the tv show use a true discrete 5.1/7.1 via the HDMI, it's mostly a stereo output. If I need a true 5.1/7.1 sound, I will use the Dolby Digital if it's possible like what you say.

My point is Pro Logic IIx is a big improvement vs Pro Logic II
>>
>>52092120

In other words, 7.1 is relevant or not?
>>
>>52092151
Ohhhhh, depends on you really. I'm perfectly happy with the 5.1 setup I have, mostly because no dedicated room for audio. The next big step is actually 3d sound field systems(auro, dolby atmos, DTS:X), which is what I'm waiting for. To me, 7.1 always seemed like an unnecessary step.
>>
>>52092275
thanks
>>
There's nothing wrong with OP image. It'll work. You'll have control over sub volume this way. Dunno why you think you won't.

If you don't have LFE out or a preamp... using high level input/output is not a big deal.
>>
>>52092830
>You'll have control over sub volume this way
this
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.