[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: Qfo8JXC.jpg (175 KB, 1024x572) Image search: [Google]
Qfo8JXC.jpg
175 KB, 1024x572
Previous: >>52065233

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
Ok so basically I want to drop binaries of gcc into my system alongside nodejs because I run puppy linux and nodejs binaries work but no idea where to get gcc ones.

Any places to start?
>>
>>52080109
I installed mint and need to use unity for one specific site. I installed pipelight, I followed every set of directions I could find, I changed the user agent everything. Still no worky. Unity starts but won't load anything. I sitting here looking at the unity logo with and empty progress bar. If I go to

http://unity3d.com/webplayer_setup/setup-3x

it loads the cache but there's noting there. I've tried disabling caching as well. Help?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (11 KB, 262x72) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
11 KB, 262x72
so i tried installing opensuse via imageusb and it didnt work so i tried formatting my USB, its usually 4gb but now its only formatting to 4mb and i cant fix it

what do /flt/ i want to install opensoos
>>
Got a brand new laptop with 250GB SSD.

What combo of OS's do you recommend and how do I split the partitions?

I was using Windows 7 on my old machine, and have used Backtrack in it's era.

I'm thinking of trying a pirated Win10 + Kali, but what does /g/ think?
>>
Is there any desktop environment better than XFCE?
>>
>>52080336
>"using kali" as if it's an OS you're supposed to use, and not the tools when the job requires
confirmed pleb
>>
>>52080412
KDE
>>
>>52080431
I wanna be edgy.
>>
>>52080299
Windows can't see ext4. Go to computer management > partitioning if you want to fix it.
>>
>>52080336
Debian and wangblows. Kali is insecure as a daily driver.
>>
who here /Deepin15RC/ ? They improved it quite a lot from 2014.3
>>
>>52080336
Arch by itself is my recommendation.

I recommend making two partitions, one for root and one for home. If you'd like SWAP space I recommend using a SWAP file instead of a SWAP partition.
>>
>>52080412
Desktop environments are mostly catering to those with baby duck syndrome by cloning existing visual styles, they are also quite bloated.

To give you a direct answer, I think a lot of the software XFCE comes with is okay and that LXDE may be better, however I wouldn't ever use either of them.
>>
>Linux Mint
>tiling WM
Does this work well?
>>
>>52080412
>>52080551
Speaking of DEs, what decides default configs for DEs and WMs and such?

I was thinking about this the other day when I saw how ugly the default configs for openbox and tint2 were. I think crunchbang had pretty good defaults.
>>
>>52080580
i don't see why not
>>
File: ominous music.png (269 KB, 696x696) Image search: [Google]
ominous music.png
269 KB, 696x696
>>52080551
so I understand you're exclusively using the command line then aren't you, richard?
>>
>>52080525
chink shill take your gobbeldy gook os out of here
>>
>>52080616
Guess I didnt know how "integrated" the DE is with the rest of Mint's stuff, if that even matters. I'll just go ahead and try
>>
>>52080625
>a product is shit just because a team of gooks made it
It doesn't seem like a good argument to me.

Deepin 15 changed a lot from Deepin 2014.3 (which was good anyway).
It's now based on Debian and not Ubuntu
And their DE is based on Qt and not html5
>>
File: 1450648590364-g.png (871 KB, 650x4377) Image search: [Google]
1450648590364-g.png
871 KB, 650x4377
>>52080542
>arch
>for a noob
>>
>>52080542

Why swap file instead of a swap partition ?
>>
>>52080109
>Gnu ocean
>Android
fail
>>
>>52080663
here again, any way to see terminal commands for the default mint stuff? if i want to access shit from terminal or dmenu, like system settings is "cinnamon-settings"
>>
Hi, I've just installed Arch following the wiki to a t, but my Thinkpad L430 does not detect the drive as bootable. If I try to 'boot existing OS' from the Arch installer, the system just goes back to the installer..

Please help /g/, I installed Arch on a vm and it worked but it's all going fucking wrong...
>>
>>52080961
Oh I should mention I'm using an msdos label and ext4. I also did set 1 boot on in parted to it should be bootable.
>>
>>52080976
Just use antergos
>>
>>52080672
It's DE are shit, btw.
>>
does "ls" use the colors defined in my .Xresources file?
If yes, which one does it take?
>>
>install i3 on mint
>logout
>change session to i3
>log in
>still cinnamon
wat why, only way I know around it with my limited linux experience is removing the login manager and using exec i3 in xinit

am I missing something or shouldnt sudo apt-get install i3 and then chosing the session be enough?
>>
>>52080299
use unetbootin next time.

>use gparted
delete the known partition
format the disk from unknown to fat 32
>use unetbootin
put your image onto the disk

done.
>>
>>52081520
To clearify my problem a bit more..
As you can see, the "ls" command doe use color wich arent even in my color scheme defined.
>>
>>52081520
>>52081668
it takes them from the LS_COLORS variable
>>
Is there spyware on xubuntu, and what is the difference between xubuntu and debian?
>>
any bspwm users here?
I'm trying to get it to work in arch and my problem for a while was that sxhkd wasn't running
Now however, when I use pidof sxhkd I get a number, which should mean it is running, only that my keybindings in bspwm don't seem to work

I have my .xinitrc set up as:
sxhkd &
urxvt &
exec bspwm

so when I use startx the urxvt window opens
anyone know how to fix the keybindings?
>>
>>52081865
the ubuntu amazon spyware? no, it's only in unity.
xubuntu uses a complete and themed xfce setup. debian doesn't have a default DE and if you install xfce (which is easy), it's gonna be a very basic install where you will have to add and configure additional things to make it work/look as good as xubuntu.
they're quite similar under the hood because the *buntus are based on debian. debian is more stable, but has older packages.
>>
>>52081886
urxvt &
sxhkd &
exec bspwm
>>
>>52081886
What's your sxhkd config?
>>
>>52081916
cheers if this works I'll be kicking myself
>>
Any idea why my .conky folder might be missing a weather_now file or any weather files for that matter? I installed a weather widget but it doesn't update icons for some reason and the tutorial told me to edit ~/.conky/weather_now but it's nowhere to be found
>>
>>52081928
I'm running arch on a mac and I wasn't sure if Super translated to the cmd key so my sxhkdrc is the default but with all Super changed to Alt
>>
File: Matey.webm (461 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Matey.webm
461 KB, 1024x768
I was installing a copy of Ubuntu MATE in a VM as practice for when I actually install it alongside Win 8 for my dual boot setup.

I did the partitioning myself, setup a 500MB ESP as sda1, 20GB / as sda3 and a 2GB swap as sda2

First boot after installation was successful and I popped this in the terminal to check whether I was running in EFI or BIOS mode, test returned a positive result.

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Installed in UEFI mode" || echo "Installed in Legacy mode" 

Now couple hours later, I'd powered down the VM and rebooted my PC and I tried booting the VM again and I get what happens in the webm here. What's gone wrong? I mean if I borked the efi partition it wouldn't have even booted the first time right?
>>
>>52082021
VirtualBox has a shit UEFI loader.
>>
>>52081916
>>52081933
I'm afraid it didn't work
>>
>>52082038
So it's literally just Virtual box fucking up? Nothing seemingly wrong with my setup as I've described it?

What hypervisor would you recommend for Windows then for UEFI testing purposes?
>>
>>52082044
The problem lies in your Mac, I think.
>>
>>52082044
>>52082063
>Your Mac
sorry, should've been specific
The problem lies in the super-key, I think.
>>
>>52082063
ok, should use xfce in the meantime until I figure out the bigger issue?
>>
>>52082060
If you insists in VirtualBox (which is simpler anyway) you can type exit in UEFI shell and make your way to make the UEFI boot into Ubuntu by default.

>>52082063
>>52082075
Try to revert back your super key into the command key.
>>
>>52082097
s/insists/insist
>>
>>52080109
is there a preferred, standard way of using SSDs as cache for writes to other drives?
>>
>>52082097
I trried calling super key "Meta" but it hasn't helped
>>
>>52082129
Super and Meta is different. When you go into bspwm, maybe sxhkd still recognizes your command key as Super.
>>
File: tf_huh.jpg (53 KB, 829x719) Image search: [Google]
tf_huh.jpg
53 KB, 829x719
I just installed Manjaro (dualboot with Windows 10)

my bootloader is broken now i guess (instantly boots into Windows 10, no boot options in BIOS)

Now i want to repair it using boot-repair (ubuntu program), but my Windows pc won't recognize the USB-stick i used for installing Linux anymore.

It's there in Hardware management, but not in explorer.

what do>?
>>
>>52082097
>If you insists in VirtualBox (which is simpler anyway) you can type exit in UEFI shell and make your way to make the UEFI boot into Ubuntu by default.
I attempted what you suggested but it just caused some kind of fatal error, where the webm ends VB pops an error message and the VM hangs seemingly infinitely.
>>
>>52082213
>manjaro
your fault
>>
>>52082237
Ah, that problem, I know it since my Arch VM was affected by it too. It is a VirtualBox problem indeed.
>>
>>52082275
What a load of shit, thanks for your help anyway anon.
>>
>>52081570
>try doing console login
>gpu drivers fuck up
>probably due to optimus as mint handles that in the display manager
JUST
>>
>>52081570
>>52082382
>mint
your fault
>>
>>52082412
tried arch, didnt work out due to non supported software i need and didnt have time to troubleshoot it for however long
will retry in summer
>>
File: trolley problem 1.jpg (89 KB, 959x573) Image search: [Google]
trolley problem 1.jpg
89 KB, 959x573
What are the partition types
Linux root (x86-64)
and
Linux home
good for?
Any forum I look this stuff up at, people say it's sufficient to make your root and home partition a Linux filesystem.
>>
>>52082672
probably types that aren't used anymore. do you have the IDs?
>>
>>52082672
probably some legacy purpose, i use nothing but "linux filesystem" and "linux swap" (for swap)
>>
>>52080109
the /vtard embassy
>>
File: confused slav.jpg (15 KB, 410x278) Image search: [Google]
confused slav.jpg
15 KB, 410x278
>>52082704
cfdisk says
Linux root (x86-64) is 4F68BCE3-E8CD-4DB1-96E7-FBCAF984B709
and
Linux home is 933AC7E1-2EB4-4F13-B844-0E14E2AEF915

cgdisk says
Linux x86-64 root is 8304
and
Linux /home is 8302
>>
>>52080109
Fedora is a protectorate.
>>
>>52082743
wrong IDs. run fdisk /dev/sdx, use the p command. there should be a column with the ID.
q to quit.
>>
>>52082789
when I print all available types in fdisk, the first 35 are cut off because it prints too many. I can't navigate with up or down.
>>
http://opensuse-community.org/

Since 1 click community codecs is down, are there any way to make audio work for MPV? I tried with this website http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php, but it only works for VLC codecs.
>>
How to install Firefox Developer Edition in Ubuntu? (Yes, i'm that stupid)
>>
I finished installing Arch on my 15inches laptop.
Problem is, it has a 4K screen, and CLI is small as fuck, and a small part of the screen doesn't fit in the said screen (around one or two lines, enough for not to be able to see what command you enter in vim).

Could someone please help me?
>>
>>52082772
More like a member of the Commonwealth, just like Canada and Britain.
>>
I have a message for /flt/.

https://ptpb.pw/cZCs.webm
>>
>>52082979
Then pipe the command to more and it will scroll by page.
>>
File: Gold.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Gold.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>52083586
>>
>>52083245
get the ppa (google it)
i also suggest to use nightly instead
>>
Just removed and swapped my laptop's HDD for SSD, 240GB.

About to dual boot Windows 7 + Xubuntu.

What do I need to know before I proceed? Need tips on partition allocation and swap partitions etc.
>>
>>52083712
Install Wind0ze first, leaving the space you want for Xubuntu unallocated. Then install Xubuntu and have it use the existing unallocated space.
>>
I was wondering if I should try elementary OS
is this a good idea? i like how it looks and that it's based off of Ubuntu, so it should just werk, right?
>>
>>52083789
Doowutchyalike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fbHOAbOcNI
>>
>>52083786
How much does Xubuntu need?

How big does the swap partition need to be on 8GB ram?
>>
What's a good, simple audio player that supports global hotkeys ?
>>
>>52083868
>How much does Xubuntu need?
Not nearly as much as wind0ze. It's entirely dependent on what you are going to install, etc. You could get away with the below config, but it is all a matter of personal preference:
/boot = 500MB
/home = 25GB
/ = 50GB

>How big does the swap partition need to be on 8GB ram?
I doubt you will ever begin paging while using 8GB of RAM. However, if you want to play it safe you could do a 2GB swap partition.
>>
>>52083932
Is google not working for you, or something?
>>
>>52084032
Seems down senpai
>>
File: owQ5a.gif (2 MB, 369x271) Image search: [Google]
owQ5a.gif
2 MB, 369x271
>>52084043
>>
File: 1451230786278.jpg (180 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1451230786278.jpg
180 KB, 600x600
First time using the latest Wine and while everything works fine if I look around too fast I get frame skips on the transistion.

Game is from 2003 (Chaser) so performance is the same on highest and lowest with solid fps unless I look around too fast, in which case I don't see any frames in between looking from a to b.

Anyone know what I can do for this?
>>
For Linux mint, cinnamon or MATE? Which one do you guys prefer? It's for a quite high end laptop so performance is not an issue.
>>
I'm new to linux, so this is probably something very obvious.

This application that I use has inbuilt ads, and I'd like to disable them. I've googled already, but could only come up with blocking site's IP, which makes the application unusable. How could I block a specific address to an image, while letting all other traffic from that IP come through?

Using debian wheezy btw
>>
>>52085340
What kind of weird app is that?
>>
>>52085340
Capture the address with something like Wireshark, and then add it to the firewall would be how I would do such a thing.
>>
This might not be exactly on topic, but is there anyway to make the eye cancer font rendering of Windows more like the one Linux (more specifically Mint) has?

(mactype is outdated, buggy crap.)
>>
>>52085340
>>52085500
Bot client for a mmorpg. I'm also using socks5 proxies, so I don't think IP blocking would do any good here.

I'd need something that would filter all traffic, and if some http request contained the url of the image, block it.
>>
>>52085548
If it's for blocking adds, a DNS block would work perfectly. I have a Pi-Hole setup, and I can play things like Runescape with no adds on the top.
>>
File: 1442659315938.jpg (177 KB, 960x926) Image search: [Google]
1442659315938.jpg
177 KB, 960x926
From an user perspective systemd is better than init?
>>
Thoughts on opensuse tumbleweed?

I like the idea of rolling releases but don't have time to go full Arch. But barely see opensuse mentioned ever, how come?
>>
>>52080867
Arch is for users who has just a little bit of knowledge of bash and is able to read wiki.
It's not even a distro for expert users.
Slackware, Gentoo is much harder to deal with
>>
>>52085340
use an application that is free as in freedom
>>
>>52085936
>Arch is for users who has just a little bit of knowledge of bash and is able to read wiki.
and users who can afford shit fucking up every once in a while and enjoy tracing the error/learning about why it happened/fixing it
>>
File: 1446769466459.png (239 KB, 814x1685) Image search: [Google]
1446769466459.png
239 KB, 814x1685
friendly reminder
>>
>>52086151
This. Software is complex enough without having to fight with your OS to get your computer to function properly.

Seriously, if arch is so great and the community so smart, why don't they release a simple GUI installer?
>>
>>52086240
Epic shilling, kid. So which one applies for you?
>>
>>52086151
>users who can afford shit fucking up every once in a while
Being careful of the packages you install is the only way to prevent this. Although I really don't like how faggots in the Arch dev team don't care for system stability.
These days I'm using manjaro, at least don't have to worry about insane updates
>>52086247
It doesn't have an installer because it probably wants to make sure you are comfortable with the terminal
>>
>>52086247
>GUI installer
For what purpose?
>>
I just did a fresh install of Fedora 23 on my T60 Thinkpad. After a while it starts to just freeze up. I did the install via USB. The DE is xfce as well. Halp pls.
>>
>>52086425
Hey you.
I'm not the guy you're responding to.
I read his post, though, and a lot of it seemed true about my experience in Linux.

Then, I read your reply, and not only was the image written in memespeak, but none of it applied to me either, as a Windows user of 7+ years.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... you make Linux look bad.

>...what your referring to as Linux, is in fact...
>>
>>52086503
>Being careful of the packages you install is the only way to prevent this
Yeah but let's face it, which Arch user is that careful? Most get careful 'enough' by fucking shit up and fixing it a couple of times. Not even saying this is strictly negative, it's a really hands on way to learn the (or some) ins and outs of Linux. I'd run Arch if I could afford the extra time it potentially takes, just can't at the moment
>>
>>52086240
whydebian.png
>>
>>52086597
GUIs provide information to the user that they might not otherwise know and allows them to interact visually, only using commands that the GUI allows and leaving very little room for error.
>>
>>52086240
this retard got proper rekt when posting this on arch's reddit
>>
Alright, so I installed Gentoo. I'm trying to put a DE and firefox on before I do anything else. How do I fix Portage masking the dependencies I need to install them?
>>
>>52082213
Dual boot is IMO evil. I run a host OS then add guest VMs.
>>
>>52087313
You're doing something wrong if it's masking dependencies.
What exactly are you installing and what is being masked?
>>
>>52087339
I was trying to install cinnamon and firefox, but it masks something like media-libs/harfbuzz-(version numbers) and lib-gcrypt for firefox
>>
>>52087375
can you paste the output from emerge?
>>
To make my volume hotkeys work, I need to run this command with sudo
cp /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_all_mask /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_mask
I wished to run this command automatically at startx so I added it to my xinitrc. However, it does not seem to work unless I run it manually with sudo. Any suggestions to make it run automatically???
>>
Hi /g/.
Is there any benefit using a LVM on a single HDD ?
Or an extended/logical partitioning is enough ?
>>
>>52081899
>debian has old packages meme
Debian testing is the one you should use on a desktop, stable is for servers and companies. Testing is on kernel version 4.3.
>>
>>52082632
>trying 2 extremes instead of something sane
You want to fail don't you?
>>
Can someone tell me why my conky isn't updating the custom images? Everything else works fine.
For example, if I leave my laptop running for 10 hours the widget will update the temperature, but it will still show the icon from 10 hours ago. I found out that relaunching conky updates the icon.

##Weather
${image .jelly-weather-icons/conky_icons/circle2.png -s 190x190}
${texeci 1300 curl -s "http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?w=12761347&u=c" -o ~/.cache/weather.xml}
${voffset -110}${offset 425}${font ITC Avant Garde Gothic Pro:bold:size=20}${execi 1300 grep "yweather:condition" ~/.cache/weather.xml | grep -o "temp=\"[^\"]*\"" | grep -o "\"[^\"]*\"" | grep -o "[^\"]*"}${font ITC Avant Garde Gothic Pro:bold:size=8}${voffset -16}o${voffset 14}${font}${color1}
${execi 1300 cp -f .weather-icons/$(grep "yweather:condition" ~/.cache/weather.xml | grep -o "code=\"[^\"]*\"" | grep -o "\"[^\"]*\"" | grep -o "[^\"]*").png ~/.cache/weather.png}${image ~/.cache/weather.png -p 425,23 -s 35x35}
${offset 420}${voffset -105}${font ITC Avant Garde Gothic Pro:size=14} New York
>>
>>52083245
Download it from the website, use executable. It will update itself. Don't add a ppa.
>>
When will Linux be usable with AMD cards?
>>
>>52087872
few months ago. the open drivers have gotten considerably better and are far more stable than the proprietary ones and the nvidia drivers. nothing compared to intel drivers though.
>>
>>52087872
Works fine for me
>>
>>52087546
LVM on LUKS is the way to go desu senpai
>>
>>52086690
>Windows user of 7+ years.
Yes but what activator did you use to patch windows?
>>
What smallest linux distro that can run windows programs(wine)?
I want to run (fulltilt poker) in a VB.
Windows would be a huge waste of space sine I only want to run one program, right?
>>
>>52088060
>LVM on LUKS
Is it the only advantage of LVM in this case ?
I don't need encryption and my CPU (Intel i5-430M) does not support AES anyway.
>>
>>52088105
The smallest VM that I know is Linux Tiny VM.
>>
>>52087718
older and old aren't the same thing.
>>
>>52088301
debian testings packages are newer than the ones on *buntu.
>>
>>52088199
You don't need LVM anyway.
>>
>>52088575
Thank you Annon.
I'll stick with extended/logical partitioning.
>>
>preparing to install slackware form salix
>1.5 years without any issues
since i've got the chance, any reasons why i should switch to other distros?
>>
Ha /g/uys what will you recommend for first time Linux user
>>
>>52088942
xubuntu or debian, see https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>>
>>52088953
debian is for intermediate tier users
>>
I am thinking of installing elementary OS or arch as a first timer
>>
>>52088942
It's literally in the OP
>>
>>52088991
Why?
>>
>>52088991
i think debian is good for people that want to learn a bit but still have a usable system without too much effort. it just werks but gives you the option to make it yours.
>>
>>52088993
that's a shitty idea.
>>
Are there any notable differences between MATE and Cinnamon? Both appear to be nearly the same thing.
>>
>>52089081
As a winbabby that started with Debian, either I'm a retard or it's too much for a first timer. I'm actually considering Arch in its place though, because the documentation strikes me as much more thorough and systematic.
>>
>>52089148
Cinnamon is based on GNOME3 but with extensions to make it look and behave more like GNOME2. MATE is just GNOME2.

Cinnamon really doesn't look that similar to MATE when you actually use it it's flashier but it also has some bugs(in my experience with it) and it uses somewhat more memory on average.
>>
>>52080474
Don't try to be edgy, just try to learn using a regular distro.
>>
>>52089243
What about customization? I've heard GNOME3 is very much against it. Also I'm coming from XFCE where I was annoyed by how clunky pure keyboard controls were on a fresh install, is either of the Gnome derivatives better in this regard?
>>
>>52089223
i started with mint and moved to debian after testing arch, fedora, opensuse and *buntu. i personally didn't like arch. it's your choice.
>>
>>52089285
Why do you prefer Mint over *buntu?
>>
>>52089303
mint has basically everything preinstalled. this is great for beginners. also LMDE is neat.
>>
>>52089148
The new Cinnamon is prettier and Mint feels less bloaty now, but maybe that's just me and the fact that I did a fresh install recently

>>52089281
I honestly have no problem customizing Cinnamon other than the panel, which for some reason I always end up hating no matter how much I try to change it
>>
>>52089337
Wait, weren't Debian and Ubuntu packages mostly the same?
>>
>>52089281
In GNOME3 the devs basically removed all the customization options and just left all of that up to the community to deal with. It's very inflexible by default.

Cinnamon is much more flexible you can resize most things and change the theme and icons and things like that. It does have little extensions for more functionality though.

GNOME2/MATE is pretty close to XFCE as far as customization, you can do most things(change the theme, icons, color scheme,etc) but panels cannot be resized I think. They always use 100% width of whatever side they're anchored to.

MATE will probably be pretty familiar for you. Cinnamon is more designed for familiarity with windows users.
>>
File: snapshot1.png (198 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
snapshot1.png
198 KB, 1280x1024
>>52080109
ok i love the look and feel of openjews
but how the fuck do i get a taskbar that doesnt look like absolute fucking trash
im a beginner
>>
If I already have Windows installed on hard drive 1 can I install Linux on hard drive 2 and how does it affect booting?
>>
>>52087255
Can you link to that or prove (without using memes) which of his arguments are wrong?
>>
>>52089448
it should install grub with it, it just gives you a menu to pick between either os
>>
>>52089448
You'll be fine, just don't format the windows drive by accident. Once installation is done and you restart PC, you'll be able to pick either windows or Linux
>>
>>52080299
press windows key, type partition, enter

allocate unallocated space, etc.
>>
>>52088086
what? legit copy, man.
>>
>>52089400
Actually Cinnamon sounds more appealing right now that you say it. I've actually liked the resizable panels quite a bit; though all I'd require is to have a bunch of quick launch icons on the bottom half of a vertical taskbar.

Also what about the controls - response and navigation logic? Or is it more dependant on an app-to-app basis? Synaptic in XFCE Debian in particular kinda pisses me off.
>>
File: snapshot2.png (186 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
snapshot2.png
186 KB, 1280x1024
>>52089424
ok now this is more like it but how can i make it not look flat and retarded
>>
>>52089481
>>52089489
cool, thanks, already run Linux on my laptop and want it on my desktop too but can't abandon windows completely because of muh gaymes
>>
>>52089533
Cinnamon is *the* proper continuation of GNOME imo. It's very responsive and looks quite nice my only problem with Cinnamon is that it has been a bit buggy when I've used it in the past. Nothing serious but sometimes the panels may crash and disappear for a few seconds and then reappear with a message about it. They'll eventually work these things out I'm sure.
>>
>>52089379
repo=/=preinstalled software
the repos are similar though. canonical takes debians unstable repo and changes it for *buntu.
>>
>>52089610
I actually haven't had that problem since updating to 17.3

And since you guys are talking about Cinnamon and customization and panels, does anyone have an actual example of good looking panel in Cinnamon? Mine just looks so bad and I got no idea what to change.
>>
>>52089610
>>52089533
Although I cannot remember if Cinnamon lets you make panels less than 100% width. It might be possible but again I cannot remember.
>>
>>52089448
Assuming you use a typical installer (as you didn't specify distro)
When it ask you where to install click manual partitioning.
There you can select exactly how you want it.
I would suggest that you take your windows installation and make two partitions, one for system/applications and one for data.
Then do the same for linux. System is mounted at / and data is mounted at /home
Then you can mount your windows at /home/user/data or something so it is easy to access on both systems.
Install grub on the same partition as / is mounted.

When you reboot, you will see a splash screen where you can either go straight to linux (that would be the default choice since that's how you installed grub) or you can press down to select windows.

When you boot into linux, find and install a program called grub-customizer or something (kde has their own) and use that to modify how grub works.
The default gives you like 15 seconds and more options than you might want so the GUI is really great for finding those things.
A nice setting is setting default boot option into last booted OS as that would make reboot work as normal.
If you feel like you understand the config file well enough to risk breaking boot, you can do without the application, but it is basically just a frontend for the config file and you can remove it and the changes you made is still there.
>>
>>52080109
Was Linux the first big FOSS collaborative project? Or was there anything notable before Linux?
>>
>>52089766
Read up on GNU
>>
>>52089457
>without using memes
We're talking about arch here

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/3ya67j/install_arch_infographic/
>>
>>52089871
that's the shitty-apps guy isn't it?
>>
>>52089956
Sure is. Disgusting.
>>
>>52089766
Early versions of UNIX would be considered "free" in a sense. When you paid for a UNIX licenses you also got the source code and the right to use it for whatever. UNIX ended up being split into several branches including the BSDs because of that permissive use license.
>>
>>52089956
Yeap
>>
>>52090044
>>52089766
I want to emphasize the "collaborative" part.
>>
can someone help me setup xfce4 on arch? why am i missing all of my icons and why doesn't the "desktop settings" manager do nothing?

I'm thinking about just switching to Xubuntu. In that case, what is the difference between xubuntu LTS and normal xubuntu? Why would I chose one over the other?
>>
>>52089706
thanks for the detailed answer, very useful
most of my data is on hard drive 3 so that's not an issue
>>
>>52089766
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software#History
>>
>>52080624
No, I just think a wm and panel + nitrogen or feh and such is plenty.
>>
>>52090107
did you try arch as a first distro? if yes, switch immediately.
>>
>>52090124
nope. being using arch w/ awesome for about a year. looking to get a more "just werks" distro as I've thought that I've learned enough about how a linux system works that I will accept some "hand-holding" if you will
>>
>>52086151
that doesn't happen please don't fall for memes
>>
>>52090081
BSD was a pretty large collaborative project in its time, probably among the first if not the first of its size. It wasn't really open source in the sense that its descendants are though, you needed a unix license to legally use it and if you made a derivative of it you had to credit all the previous contributors.
>>
>>52088886
if you've mastered the basics of Linux, consider installing a "just works" distro like Xubuntu so you can experience the other side of the coin
>>
>>52086240
Worth paying hundreds of dollars, right?
>>
File: 1451179508163.jpg (33 KB, 1008x720) Image search: [Google]
1451179508163.jpg
33 KB, 1008x720
How do I configure libdvdcss to work with vlc?

It wasn't available for Fedora so I compiled it and installed to /usr/local/lib

Any alternatives I could use?
>>
Whats the difference between Xubuntu LTS and normal Xubuntu
>>
>>52090415
The LTS part.
>>
>>52090415
one is long term support and the other is presumably a bit newer. LTS aims to be more stable where as newer will/may be less stable.
>>
how do I tell my terminal to reboot directly from my flashdrive? Every "solution" I've seen so far is to reboot and it'll just use the usb stick.
In my case it boots directly into my semi functional Arch install
>>
>>52090444
What does Long-term-support mean? If I go non-LTS does that mean I will have to reinstall my operating system every 6 months?
>>
>>52080542
Is it frowned upon to only have a root partition and only have/use the root user?
>>
>>52080596
Well WMs usually have their config files in ~/..config/<wmname>/config or something along those lines. A lot of configuration also happens in .bashrc / .zshrc and .Xresources when you use urxvt.
>>
>>52090507
it's stupid
>>
>>52090473
it receives updates for 5 years (I think it's 5) so you could not reinstall for that long in theory. As far as I remember the ones inbetween LTS are only supported for 6 months.
>>
>>52087801
Anyone?
>>
>>52090507
yes. having restricting options on what you can and cannot modify is not for the user's sake but for the security involving programs you run. If "rm -rf /" was slipped into a binary you could wreck your system if you we're always root
>>
Any opinions about MATE or Cinnamon desktop for Linux Mint?
>>
>>52090792
Read above, it's been asked recently
>>
>>52090792
Try Cinnamon. MATE is good for older computers that cannot handle cinnamon.
>>
>>52090704
Would this be a problem when you only use programs from official repos?
>>
>>52090816
>>52090820
Yeah I asked earlier and got no reaction. I kept reading through the thread every once in a while and I must have missed it.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>52090826
Running as root is bad for a number of reasons.
>>
File: rip.gif (3 MB, 300x148) Image search: [Google]
rip.gif
3 MB, 300x148
>>52090462
a-anyone?
>>
>>52090826
There's pretty much never a reason to log in as root. If you need root for a command use sudo, if you need root for a couple of commands use su.
>>
>>52090857
reboot and press F12 or whatever your bios uses
>>
File: 1380981174556.png (30 KB, 240x322) Image search: [Google]
1380981174556.png
30 KB, 240x322
What is the best email client for linux, with securtiy and encryption in mind?

Thank you.
>>
>>52090878
>I pressed every F key but forgot to try Del
I'll show myself out
>>
>>52090927
Thunderbird?
>>
>>52090857
become enlightened. install xubuntu
>>
>>52080596
>what decides default configs for DEs and WMs and such?

It's a goddamn mystery.

I refuse to believe that the people who go out of their way to make new DEs/WMs have zero design experience or taste. I'm convinced that they choose ugly defaults so that people are forced to personalize their setups.
>>
File: reallifepepe.webm (1 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
reallifepepe.webm
1 MB, 320x320
>>52090976
You know what? I will.
I was trying to install Arch dualbooted with Windope for the last 4 days, but GRUB would never even find my EFI partition.
I'm done. I'm weak. I will become stronger. And in a couple of months I'm gonna try again and be victorious.
>>
>>52091071
>create a 200mb vfat partition at /boot
>install grub to /boot/efi
It's not that hard.
>>
File: kek.png (109 KB, 960x531) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
109 KB, 960x531
>>52091071
>>52091104
>Using grub at all when the Linux kernel can be compiled as an efi executable.
>>
>>52091104
Literally doesn't find it.
I mounted /dev/sda8 (200MB vfat) to /boot
I enter grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
>error: cannot find EFI directory
>>
File: 1450579822888.jpg (165 KB, 421x389) Image search: [Google]
1450579822888.jpg
165 KB, 421x389
>>52091071
>I'm done. I'm weak. I will become stronger. And in a couple of months I'm gonna try again and be victorious.
AHHHHH this literally hurts to read. Arch isn't "better" than other distros in any way shape or form. No major distro is any "better" than any other major distro, they are only different.

ubuntu/debian is not weaker or more lame than arch. it's just different. They do more things "out-of-the-box" than Arch. They try to fix problems because you experience them.

Arch, on the other hand, forwards the debugging and fixing process onto user. This is called The Arch Way. It's not better than other *Ways*, it is just different. Do you want a minimal distribution that you can make into anything you want, we no predefined functionality out of the box? Then Arch is for you. Again, this isn't a bad thing. It's just different. This is what makes it a popular distro for ricers because they don't start with any default themes and can rice their own.

Until you've learned this you will continue to distro hop like a true noob. Don't look at those desktop threads and think that Arch is the only way to use GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52091287
>They try to fix problems because you experience them.
I meant to say BEFORE you experience them.
>>
>>52091287
you can isntall debian or even *buntu minimally though.
>>
>>52091287
Arch is also useful if you have like a really slow, old thinkpad, where a light distro that can be customized to exactly fit the hardware (though Gentoo would be even better for that), hence it's popularity with /g/.
>>
>>52091222
/boot needs to be the first partition on the disk.

>/dev/sda1
>>
File: trolley problem 2.jpg (82 KB, 506x632) Image search: [Google]
trolley problem 2.jpg
82 KB, 506x632
>>52091287
I never meant to say that Arch is the true way. All I was implying is that I'm simply not good enough yet, since this would've been my first ever Linux distro.
>>
>>52091426
You aren't good enough to read a Beginners Guide and copy and paste commands? There is literally nothing impressive about installing Arch, given that the user can read
>>
>>52091153
>gentoo
>with systemd
>>
>>52091423
since I'm dualbooting, Windows already takes that space. It didn't seem uncommon to create another boot partition for the parallel Linux distro though.
>>
>mpv's man page is 11474 lines long

what the literal fuck
>>
I'm on mint 17.3. Some unicode characters are missing, for example
>>
>>52091759
just install bomi player and save yourself from the autism of configuring mpv while reaping all of the benefits.
>>
>>52091765
Inconsolata, noto and Dejavu
>>
Is Linux dependent on GNU? I mean, I know that a lot of Linux programs depend on GNU, but is the OS itself dependent on GNU?
>>
Do any of the popular Linux music players allow you to view your collection in directory structure? Foobar2000 does this and it's really handy.
>>
>>52091808
GNU is a cult. Linux is a kernel.
>>
>>52091808
no, it's not dependent, just the most common setup. at least for desktop and server uses.

android is linux without gnu.
systems on embedded devices often use busybox instead of gnu software. openwrt for routers is a good example.
there's also alpine linux.
>>
>>52091802
You don't need to configure mpv. >>52091808
Linux is a kernel, GNU is the userland. linux can be used with another userland (for dxample busybox) and GNU with another kernel (for example kFreeBSD). Linux is one piece of software while GNU are a lot of programs.
>>
>>52091808
Well Linux is a component of the GNU operating system so yes in order to see how amazing the kernel is, its important to have the rest of the operating system aswell
>>
So im running xfce4 on debian and want to change my window manager from xfwm to i3, how would i do that?
>>
>>52091835
>GNU is a cult
You mean the FSF

GNU is not an organization, it's just a collection of software.

>>52091808
>Is Linux dependent on GNU? I mean, I know that a lot of Linux programs depend on GNU, but is the OS itself dependent on GNU?
No, many embedded/lightweight systems use a different userland like busybox for example.
>>
Best linux for a inspiron 9100?
They want to update to win8 or 10 (wat) but I really don't think that's an option.
I told them to just buy a new computer but they still want me to put something other than XP on it because xp is not getting updated....
>>
>>52091918
Who is "they"?

Give them a decent antivirus, tell them not to be a retard, and send them on their way. Otherwise, I don't think a Windows XP -> Linux transition will be right. If they want to learn the utter basics, then give them Xubuntu.
>>
>>52091918
Why would they need a new computer?
Whack on ubuntu or mint and they'll be fine.
>>
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove categories from the whisker menu in xfce, I want to remove the recently used category.
>>
>>52092014
I'm sure they'll love the screen tearing when watching youtube and movies.
>>
>>52091918
anything with a light weight desktop environment.
>>
>>52091812
should be possible with deadbeef
>>
>>52091918
>Best linux for a inspiron 9100?
Debian or Ubuntu fork with XFCE.
>>
File: 1447046019571.jpg (29 KB, 395x344) Image search: [Google]
1447046019571.jpg
29 KB, 395x344
>>52092044
Maybe I misjudge the average computer user but I like having a powerful, responsive computer.>>52092014
but they specifically want XP gone...
>>52092079 is >>52092044 even close?
>>
>>52092105
xfce is pretty good for light weight user friendly, you can install xubuntu or xfce mint.
>>
>>52092053
have you tried menu libre?
>>
>>52092155
Ok, cool. Thanks.
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=181
Going for it, looks like the correct distro.
>>
>>52092175
It doesn't work with whisker menu, just the default xfce4 menu...
>>
>>52080299
>"eye", "laws", "dug", "aim"
Am I supposed to be saying something funny?
>>
File: 1387134660501.jpg (277 KB, 650x620) Image search: [Google]
1387134660501.jpg
277 KB, 650x620
Hey /flt/

I love you
>>
>>52091878
>>52091890
Fuck off GNU/shill.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.