[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are you /g/entlemen? What internet browser would you recommend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: 1309204994356.png (73 KB, 492x600) Image search: [Google]
1309204994356.png
73 KB, 492x600
How are you /g/entlemen? What internet browser would you recommend for someone who has been using Opera as his main browser since 2003 and is still mainly using Opera@USB v.12.17 for internets? Should I try to getting used to the newer Chromium-based Opera or Google Chrome itself? Are newer version of Firefox any good?

I really don't want to change my main internet browser but Opera (as I know it) is more or less kill and some sites are getting impossible to browse using it. In the end all I want from internet browser is it to be a fast no BS one that simply werks or in other words what Opera used to be back in the day.
>>
File: mes-esam-milleri.jpg (456 KB, 1600x960) Image search: [Google]
mes-esam-milleri.jpg
456 KB, 1600x960
>>52079299
>Homosexual
That picture is as bad as the millers poster.
>>
build chomium yourself and disable botnet and the annoying sign in button they keep shoving down your throat
>>
>>52079403
How bad is the botnet in Chromium-based browsers anyway? Also can fanboys of Chrome tell me the pros and cons of it?
>>
Vivaldi
>>
>>52079299
Newer beta versions of Firefox don't lag with e10s enabled.
>>
>>52079471
/g/ just calls google chrome's search logging botnet because they want to feel intellectual/superior.
>>
>>52079299
New Opera is still the best by far, especially if you like the speeddial. However, it's worse than the old version feature-wise.
>>
Qutebrowser
>>
Midori
Pale Moon
Vilvadi
>>
File: 1368499382350.jpg (30 KB, 475x343) Image search: [Google]
1368499382350.jpg
30 KB, 475x343
>mfw all those retards calling chrome botnet because they can't disable botnet options
>>
>>52080318
Pale Moon is decent. Give it a try before you dismiss it op.
>>
>>52080898
You can turn off the botnet the same way a dairy cow can turn off the milkers.
>>
>>52080898

>>implying that changing settings disables anything.
>>
>>52079299
I would suggest to stop being autistic and update to the last version of Opera
>>
>>52080944
I'm not paranoid about >muh freedums so I don't really give a shit if they collect my data or not. I don't search for CP or anything that's illegal so that doesn't scare me at all.
I don't live in murica if that changes anything.
>>
Firefox is the best. Addons, functionality and the least botnet. Speed? No idea about that, maybe benchmarks show a difference but I don't feel a difference between the major browsers and neither do you, probably.
>>
>>52080318
>>52080919
>Pale Moon
Never heard of this one, I'll give it a go.

>>52080280
>>52080954
I'm not a huge fan of the speeddial but I guess newer Opera versions is the safest/most convenient route to take if I don't find anything better.
>>
>>52079299
use firefox w/ speed dial plugin
>>
>>52081071
> I don't search for CP
Oh yeah, faggot? Let's have a look
>>
>Should I try to getting used to the newer Chromium-based Opera?
No
>or Google Chrome itself?
No
>Are newer version of Firefox any good?
You just missed the boat, I'm afraid, Firefox is officially going down the shitter.

I'm impressed that you've gotten this far using Opera 12 because that thing was a POS back when it was released.
>>
>>52080263

Fuckin this!
>>
>>52079299
firefox is still good, if you take some time to configure it and set up the right add-ons.
>>
>>52081543
I could show you my history but I can't be arsed to give it to a random anon calling me a faggot.
>>
Just use Waterfox and stop complaining
>>
>>52079946
>A javascript browser

GET OUT.
>>
>>52081882
>literally the worst FF fork in the history of ever
>>
>>52080318
nah cyber fox, iridium, sea monkey, midori,.
>>
File: 1448159714992.png (542 KB, 958x1182) Image search: [Google]
1448159714992.png
542 KB, 958x1182
>>52079299
this is better
>>
IE is a cutie :3
>>
>>52079299
Otter Browser is the true spiritual successor to old Opera. It's a QTWebkit re-implementation and is a WIP.
>>
>>52082291
It's a long way away from being even remotely usable.
>>
>>52082333
If that's the case for you, then some version of Firefox that you tweak is probably the best for you. There was a just such migration when Opera dropped Presto.
>>
edge is actually a pretty good browser. I'm just waiting for webm support before I make it my main browser
>>
>>52079471
>>52080263
>>52081608
Here's the one hundred percent legitimate reason why I chose FF over Chrome: mouse gestures do not work on pages that are not fully loaded yet, or on error pages.

Also, no addons similar to Tree Style Tab or Puzzle Bars.
>>
>>52082291
QtWebkit has been deprecated and will be removed in Qt 5.6.
>>
Depends on what you need from the browser.

>Lightweight
Pale Moon - A stripped down version of Firefox. Stays up-to-date with security fixes and rendering support, but looks and feels like FF4 or 5. Has FF extension and theme support, but not all recently updated extensions will be compatible due to interface differences. PM's own site maintains compatibility branches of popular FF extensions as well.
Midori - Probably a better choice for Linux, as I'm not sure about the Windows port. I recall there being some stability issues with this one, which might have been ironed out since the last time I checked.
K-Meleon - Windows only. It's basically a Windows-native port of Gecko, so its memory usage is drastically low compared to Firefox. The trade-off is that you don't have extension support; but a few "essential" extensions (e.g. AdBlock) are built into the browser. Definitely an underrated choice - if you're running Windows.
QupZilla - Can't say much about it, but it gets the job done and has some built-in extensions such as ad-blocking.
SeaMonkey - Mozilla's oft-forgotten Internet suite is still alive and kicking. Even though SM is a complete Internet suite and not just a browser, it does use substantially fewer resources than Firefox. Extension compatibility is hit-or-miss, but you should be able to install more popular extensions like AdBlock.

>Bleeding edge, don't care about memory usage
Firefox - Get ready for some serious bloat. I suppose the memory usage is not as bad as Chrome though. Firefox thankfully does not split every tab into a new memory process like Blink browsers do.
>>
>>52079299
CYBERFOX + FVD SPEED DIAL
>>
File: desktop.jpg (505 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
desktop.jpg
505 KB, 2880x1800
Safari with extensions here.
Feels great.
>>
>>52083232
My only problem with safari is it doesn't support webms.
>>
File: selection.png (364 KB, 1718x1330) Image search: [Google]
selection.png
364 KB, 1718x1330
>>52083436
The few times I want to watch a webm I just open it with mpv.
It's really not that big of an issue when it has things like a tab overview and smooth performance.
Not to mention it just looks better.

Use these extensions.
>>
>>52079299
>hurr durr opera has no market share
>implying market share means anything for quality

waterfox and iceweasel have far less market share and /g/ shills those all the time.
>>
>>52083620
The difference is that waterfox and iceweasel both are compatible with Firefox, meaning sites, extensions, etc. all work just fine with them.
Opera doesn't have that support base.
>>
>>52079299
Avant browser is good since it allows you to switch between trident, gecko and blink rendering engines.

otter is the spiritual successor to opera 12, but it still has a way to go.

vivaldi is made by the older devs from opera, before opera cleaned house and abandoned presto. their goal is to recreate opera 12 using chromium and blink. they're not quite there yet. further along than otter.

both of these browsers are not only inspired by opera 12, they both can be run off a usb stick.
>>
>>52079299
>Firefox
>slow
Nice bait
>>
How does chromium compare with chrome with regards to muh botnet and muh memory memes?
>>
>>52080936
By not being pregnant?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.