[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /g/ have any home security system? Did you set something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1450926337599.jpg (44 KB, 450x327) Image search: [Google]
1450926337599.jpg
44 KB, 450x327
Does /g/ have any home security system? Did you set something up DIY or buy some pre-packaged thing? Got burglarized this morning and someone stole all my stuff the day after Christmas. I just wish I could have seen their face, I live in the ghetto and I'm sure it was a neighbor. ; _ ;
>>
That really sucks, OP. The worst thing about getting robbed isn't the financial loss, it's the loss of security in your own home, and the emotional attachments to the stolen items.

I intend to set up a home security system based around a low-powered server and a handful of webcams. Just going to run USB over cat5 to their locations, and record the last two days or so to a smallish RAID setup.
>>
>>52078075
> living amoing negro

That's what you get OP, stop trying to gentrify the neighborhood you racist
>>
>>52078277

How much would such a set up cost me? Know of any freeware that can be used to upload the footage to Google Drive or some other free online storage? I see there are usb motion sensors, or some security cams that have then built in. I'd just point one at my front door so when they kick it in it just gets a good picture of their face.
>>
>>52078333

Just poor. I hate most Blacks. I think I'll start browsing /pol/ after today.
>>
>>52078360
And vote Trump
>>
>>52078373

Absolutely
>>
>>52078343
I'd budget a grand, but you could get away for less most likely. Call it four decent 1080p cameras so you can actually make out the person's face, ~$400. Put another $1000 down for 1000' of cat5 + USB terminators, and ~$500 for an AMD APU-based computer with three 1tb hard drives.
>>
>>52078530

Ugh, too expensive. How about one 1080p camera, maybe motion-activated, possibly wireless, and some cloud storage to record the next 15 minutes or so? I only got one entrance and exit.
>>
>>52078578
How about two of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016DHUBES and a used netbook to automatically upload the output to the cloud somehow? Not sure how that would be achieved, though.
>>
I set up my own op. I got two WiFi 1080p cams for $70 a piece. Just install them next to a power source and connect them to your WiFi. $140 total. They can send you emails when motion is detected and can be viewed remotely from a browser. That's really all you need. They can be controlled remotely as well. Full range of motion on the x and y axis and they have a mic and speaker for two way communication.
>>
>>52078774

Do you got them set up to upload video? I'm just thinking if they steal whatever the video is being recorded to then it wasn't much help. Uploaded to a cloud or YouTube or whatever would be ideal.
>>
What about a motion detector/camera. Some kind of wide angle shot and put it inside a plant or some shit.
>>
>>52078075
>not having a camera uploading to the cloud when it's detecting move
It's like you want to be raped.
Anyway, I'm happy I don't live in a country as shitty as yours.
>>
>>52078974

Anglosphere? Your country will be shitty soon enough.
>>
>>52078075
A Logitech webcam oriented toward the front entrance.
The software put in "take video when detecting move between 7PM and 7AM".
Automatic upload to a cloud.

Even if your computer get stolen, you'll have the images.
>>
>>52078987
I live in eastern Asia.
I don't have "minorities" problems.
>>
>>52078530
a 1000' of cat5 on amazon is $150 or less. Shit, you can get a 1000' of shielded cat6a for 250
>>
>>52079049
I just bought three 25' cat5e cables for less than $10. If I wanted 1000' It would still only cost me about $130. IDK where that anon got $1000 for 1000'
>>
>>52078854
Yes they also email me video clips.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.