[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do the pc builders of /g/ handle operating systems? Do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: Windows-7.jpg (25 KB, 650x407) Image search: [Google]
Windows-7.jpg
25 KB, 650x407
How do the pc builders of /g/ handle operating systems? Do you bite the bullet and pay for Windows 7? Resort to a life of piracy? Become an gentooman?
>>
>>52077221
Pirate gentoo
>>
I still have an .iso from when MS freely gave away Windows 7. I just use daz loader with it.
>>
pay because im not a poorfag and I just want my shit to work the first time
>>
File: 1449448562562.jpg (851 KB, 893x998) Image search: [Google]
1449448562562.jpg
851 KB, 893x998
Microsoft gave me Windows for free because of college.
>>
Currently I am using pirate Win7, but I actually do have a licensed copy somewhere, which I intend to use when I upgrade my system.
>>
>>52077221
Pirate windows 7 and give no fucks.
>>
>>52077282
What's the downside of using a pirated Win7?
>>
I use linux because Windows 7 was too much of a hassle to install when they didn't have drivers for my wireless card.

Installed linux and couldn't be happier.
>>
i have a licensed copy of windows 7 and 10, but i dont even use them its not worth the trouble activating windows on the pcs i have then having a problem with the product key.

so i use daz loader
>>
>>52077235

That's like pirating mental retardation.

Why? It's free with a hit in the head.
>>
everyone here uses GNU/Linux

Windows is a meme

if any real Windows users are here they are either from elsewhere/new or they believed the meme and installed it/kept using it
>>
>>52077341
It's an easy way to hand out trojans.
>>
>>52077365
>Windows is a meme

Linux is a meme.

It sucks at rendering, gaming, and even programming.

The only thing Linux does well is have a decent notepad program.
>>
File: mvwboOwbxfc.jpg (35 KB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
mvwboOwbxfc.jpg
35 KB, 604x340
I've bought a few licenses in my time...but really, because I tinker and fuck up so much - and all on SSD - I do clean installs pretty often with "procured" Windows.
>>
>install Gentoo
>>
I just install GNU/Linux.

If I need windows (which is rarely) I just use an unlocked windows XP, which does the job for what I use it for.
>>
Re-install every 30 days for the last 8 years because I'm still not sure if It's worth paying for.
>>
Got it for 'free' from college.
>>
>>52077345
Had to look up daz loader to see what it was. Why is it marked as malware/virus by web of trust?
>>
>>52077394
>it sucks at program
you are wrong
>>
can you even buy windows 7 anymore

i have an oem copy and i'm assuming they'll just stop letting me activate it sooner or later to force 10 on me
>>
>>52077526
Because Microsoft paid them off
>>
>>52077526
because it goes against corporate interest to do what it does. It's an exploit, plain and simple. Adds a service that runs at the very beginning of the boot.
>>
>>52077221
I pirate.

I only use windows because the software i use is locked into the windows ecosystem and i have no other alternative.
>>
>>52077394
This isn't about "Linux", this is about using anything but Windows. Windows is a meme OS that broke all standards that were set in place and is missing vital parts that other operating systems have. Even Mac OS is infinitely better than Windows.
>>
>>52077547
I don't quite understand what it does
>>
>>52077551
Does pirating still give you all the features?
>>
>>52077730

All that and the added bonus of paying nothing...
>>
I get free keys from a guy who works in tech that I met on grindr because I'm a massive faggot
>>
>>52077264
This. Anyone that is all "hurrr use dazloader, microsoft robs you" are actual children
>>
>>52077780
doesn't it brick your wallpaper black and add the "unverified windows 7" text in the bottom right?
>>
>>52077341
Im not him but ive found No downside
maybe I was lucky i dont know
>>
>>52077221
I got Windows 8 free with my laptop and then received 7/8.1 Pro editions through dreamspark. Recently Windows 10 was added to my dreamspark account.

I don't think I will ever use them now that I am on Linux and feeling relaxed for once.
>>
File: Capture.png (17 KB, 938x79) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
17 KB, 938x79
>>52077808
Nope. I only have automatic updates for important updates and it still just werks,
>>
>>52077808
That's what daz loader is for.
>>
I never used dazloader vefore i used removeWAT haven't had problems in years
>>
pirate windows 10, install that then arch linux and use that as my daily OS.
>>
>>52077826
relaxed? tf are you hiding
>>
>>52077884
i was getting annoyed by Windows 10 thinking it knows whats best for me by updating and removing my applications. Whenever I start Speccy I get BSOD and shit myself.

Then the worry about the future of Windows since 10 is the last release ever, it is only going to get worse. So I keep the current install as it is and dual boot Xubuntu. It started as a joke but I actually liked it.

It has been two weeks, I don't find a reason to boot back into Windows.
>>
>>52077341
If you can't trust Microsoft to not snoop through your shit what makes you think you can trust an anonymous uploadet?
>>
>>52077808
You can turn off activation completely in the registry, its very easy
>>
I buy OEM copies.
>>
>>52077899
did you ever find out why exactly speccy blue screened? also, doesn't any linux interface look like shit?
>>
>>52077221
Dual-boot mint and Win7, use Daz Loader.

If building a system for a friend, just have them pay for a win10 key.
>>
I have a 10 year old computer

enjoy your overpriced wii replacement
>>
File: scrot4.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
scrot4.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>52077980
>doesn't any linux interface look like shit?

pretty much any fresh install OS looks like shit. it takes a bit of work.

the 1511 upgrade does not play nice with speccy. for one it does not show my motherboard temp anymore. the new version claims it has fixed the problem.
>>
>>52078027
osx el capitan fresh doesn't look like shit.....
>>
>>52078054
OSX does not run on non-apple computers as no driver support. windows/linux can run on Apple and non-apple computers with driver support.

OSX disqualified
>>
>>52077341
you'll get scolded on 4chan by all the indian microsoft shills
>>
>>52077370
>he downloads virus.exe from kaaza

muh sides
>>
>>52077271
This. But if not this, I'd probably pirate it.

Or just just the windows insider edition.

I also have OEM keys from all the laptops and desktops over the years with windows 7 stickers on them that I took pictures of.
>>
>>52078095
>just just
just use
>>
>>52077394
It's not bad if you don't hate yourself.

Windows is only good for being terminally slow and security holes.
>>
State uni employee. Windows keys only cost me $8 but we're only allowed to buy one key. I work with a bunch of plebs though so of I need another key I just toss one of them a $20 and use their account to buy it. Office is always free and I hand the installer out to peeps like candy on Halloween.
>>
>>52078095
But, as far as I understand, you can't use those keys on pcs with different motherboards.
>>
I have Windows 7 and I love it.

Would I like Windows 10? Should I upgrade? Or is this a "don't fix what's not broken" situation?
>>
>>52078178
Wait and see if they fix Windows 10 (spyware shit) even if not you'll have awhile before everything stops supporting 7
>>
>>52078174
It's worked on laptops before but I was always using an HP key on an HP or whatever. I'd probably just call them up otherwise and do the phone activation.
>>
>>52078095
I have older towers too, but I'm sure the serial numbers for Windows 7 are oem and non-transferable to new motherboards..

I didn't know that before today and I'm planning my first build so this means more money I'll have to pay...

Or become a Jack Sparrow worst pirate that you've heard of type anon
>>
>>52078027
I think default GNOME looks okay.
>>
>>52078216
The numbers on computers are not used from the factory. There is some leeway on HP key -> HP and I have activated a fujitsu using another brand key before.
>>
>>52078238
so if I currently have an hp computer, and I want to build my own pc, I can use the same windows code as my hp?
>>
>>52078235
Gnome feels smooth but it has no panel to place open Windows by default. The deal breaker for Gnome3 is on laptops it gives the lowest battery of any DE with tlp enabled and reduced brightness, not sure why.
>>
File: 463001390.jpg (147 KB, 396x594) Image search: [Google]
463001390.jpg
147 KB, 396x594
tfw still have unused keys from my personal BizSpark MSDN, and my job's current MSDN account and the expired MSDN account. When I move jobs, I'll pay for another MSDN account and my work will reimburse me. tfw.

Windows 10 LTSB is god tier.
>>
>>52077221
>Gaming?

W7 or W8. Never get W10 unless you like your sockets being penetrated harder than a rockspider in prison.

>Codemonkey?

Pick your distro and swing your dick around in threads on /g/ about which is better. Protip, different strokes for different folks.

>Muh GFX design

OSX. Alot of software is designed around it, You can still use bash.

tl;dr find what you want to do and what you need for it and then do it.
>>
I've pulled OEM keys from windows 8 machines and activated them on different devices. Kinda pointless right now; just use daz, upgrade to 10, then do a clean install of 10.
>>
>>52077221
Mint
>>
>>52078278
Possibly. If you've already used that key on something else, almost definitely no. If you've never used that key before, possibly yes.
>>
>>52078296
Isn't a MSDN account thousands of dollars?
>>
>>52078316
Is the only way to know to try?
>>
>>52078337
BizSpark was super easy to apply for, I don't know if they vet applications now, but my joke startup got me one 2 years ago.
>>
>>52078340
Yup. And if it gives you an error, you can just call in and bypass it using the telephone activation. It's an automated system.
>>
Windows 7 iso + dazloader

Why use anything else? The OS works fine and has huge compatibility.
>>
>>52078408
windows 8.1 or 10 LTSB with classic shell is pretty good.
>>
>>52078379
Do you know where I can find the number to call if that happens?

Have you done it before when switching motherboards?

They granted access through an automated system? wow I was expecting a person waiting for my excuses for why I need to upgrade broken parts :p
>>
>>52077221
Yep, I pirate Windows 7-10. Legitimate keys are still pretty expensive and if you build systems for yourself or others it's just gonna cost more to go legitimate, and using the cracks to activate Windows is pretty simple.
>>
>>52078434
LTSB is enterprise right?
the non spying one, right?
>>52078408
how would you use an .iso if it's a brand new HDD/SSD? newfag here
>>
>>52078674
>how would you use an .iso if it's a brand new HDD/SSD? newfag here
not him but i do all my os installs through VM's, rather than running installers on metal (no vm)
for windows 7 it's just a matter of installing in the vm (with the target hdd attached), then running sysprep with generalize ticked, and when it's done, boot from the hdd directly, as if you just installed normally with a dvd/ufd
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.