[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are most programmers so dumb when it comes to hardware?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: 1444531343903.jpg (42 KB, 682x728) Image search: [Google]
1444531343903.jpg
42 KB, 682x728
Title says it all /g/. Time and time again I see for myself or hear stories of some software developer talking out of their ass when it comes to hardware requirements or issues.

So why do they do it /g/? What makes some programmers believe that because they can code in Python they then magically understand how processors function?
>>
I soldered a CPU in javascript
>>
>>52076815
I figured you guys would like this pic ;)
>>
>>52076836
I do, very much so ;)
mind if i save it?
>>
every single code monkey i know including my best IT guys are pretty much crap when it comes to computer hardware. they know the basics of what their job requires and they know their software requirements/drivers etc, but they're pretty much oblivious to hardware and how x relates to y.

my IT guy was talking about how he's got two 280x's in CF but he only plays COD. that tells me everything i need to know.
>>
>>52076769

High level languages have been a gift and a curse, where the new generation of programmers think their sloppy code will 'just work' and if it doesn't 'just add more RAM and CPUs/scale to the cloud'.

It really is astounding how much programmers of the 70s-80s were able to squeeze out of the hardware in comparison to today’s programmers.
>>
Because they don't teach you anything regarding hardware in CompSci at uni.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>52076836
Ive got one too guise!!
>>
>>52077005
He's probably just an enthusiast. The CEO can't possibly use all of that 550HP luxury car, but they like it all the same.

>>52077078
Although that explains why they don't actually have the knowledge, what causes them to actually make hardware suggestions when they don't know any better, like >>52077005
said.
>>
>>52076769
software developers != tech support

A better question: "Why are most programmers so dumb when it comes to low level programming?"
Another: "Why are most programmers unable to read, write, patch, or test code in more than one language?"
Another: "Why are most 'computer nerds' so dumb when it comes to anything other than gaming and shitposting?'

Well-rounded understanding of tech takes too much time. People are lazy shits. Or, they just don't give a fuck about what you give a fuck about.
>>
>>52076769
not just on requirements but what they work on themselves. Like
>using a mac for development, ever
obvious exception for using osx is if you need to create a mac or osx app because of apple's retarded decisions. Double standards as hell because if MS was in apple's position or if google tried to pull that type of shit, they'd get brought to a court faster than you can say internet explorer.
>>
>>52077705
OS X is for developers too dumb to use Linux on a laptop.
>>
File: capitalism1414011942717s.jpg (18 KB, 250x114) Image search: [Google]
capitalism1414011942717s.jpg
18 KB, 250x114
>>52076769
because they're trained from birth to pick something and specialize wasting no time or mind on anything else
>>
>>52077705
OS X is fine for web dev stuff, better than Windows anyway.
>>
>>52076769
>Time and time again I see for myself or hear stories
Examples plz
>>
>>52077658
That's actually a really good answer. I agree.
>>
>>52076769
If I have to deal with one more fucking neckbeard autist at my work getting uppity when I say I don't know the specs of the new AnuS Gigalex 420 GFX 69 Edition Cumblaster Mode I'm going to fucking flip.
>>
>>52077131
post a pic of your ballsack resting on top of the bomb
>>
>>52078845
That is a clock
>>
>>52077078

I'm probably the exception in my 4 yr course we've had computer hardware, assembly and logic gates/adders, and basic electronic engineering covered etc. we also had to do a project with an arduino/raspberry bi which was easy but obviously allowed us to understand the marriage of hardware/software
>>
>>52077078
We went through how C is converted to assembly and then how a processor built on logic gates runs the assembly code in my second semester. I never used that information ever again.
>>
>>52076769
Do you like forcing shitty fucking memes like a degenerate faggot with nothing to do?

You do? Good. The first step towards being a better person is acknowledging you're a piece of shit.

Your "CS undergrad XD" meme has never been funny. Never will. Nobody scrolls down the catalog, sees your post and laughs. They fucking ignore it. Why? Because you're a pathetic little 9gag crossposting memester with nothing better to do besides force shitty memes on an anonymous imageboard. Get a life. Go outside. Stop making fucking threads about a fucking CS undergrad. We're sick of this. I'm sick of this." meme has never been funny. Never will. Nobody scrolls down the catalog, sees your post and laughs. They fucking ignore it. Why? Because you're a pathetic little 9gag crossposting memester with nothing better to do besides force shitty memes on an anonymous imageboard. Get a life. Go outside. Stop making fucking threads about a fucking buttrock CS undergrad. We're sick of this. I'm sick of this.

But you know what? No. I won't stop there. Have you ever sat down and thought, "I could be productive?" Have you? If you haven't then here's a newsflash. In that time it took to create this thread you could have called that one girl that looks at you longingly and request a date. But no, you post a fucking "CS undergrad" thread. Ever stop to think about what you could be doing if you didn't waste your life away in your parents' basement posting memes?

You could be an astronaut. You could be the CEO of a profitable company. You could be rich. Or, instead, you chose to post memes.

That said, It's cover does kinda look like christmas anime. Fuck off, meme poser
>>
>>52079663
U mad bro
>>
>>52077005
>he's got two 280x's in CF but he only plays COD
Call of Duty games on PC are poorly optimized
>>
>>52076769

>So why do they do it /g/? What makes some programmers believe that because they can code in Python they then magically understand how processors function?

They're dumb.

But to be fair it's similar to how an EE major knows more about electronics then an electrician, but you would not want an EE major to be the one wiring up your house.
>>
File: 75910559.jpg (98 KB, 339x506) Image search: [Google]
75910559.jpg
98 KB, 339x506
>>52076815
>I soldered a CPU in javascript

You do realize that CPU laptops are soldered into motherboards, right?

You guys have memed yourself so much that you've lost connection to reality.
>>
>>52082315
>>52076815
>>
>>52076769
>they then magically understand how processors function?

Because "programming" is like.. making cakes don't make you a fucking baker, some shitty script doesn't make you a programmer. there is so much to learn but people usually just use what they need and after that they think they know what they have done
>>
>>52078639

There are some pretty good ones throughout the thread, using macs for any sort of development>>52077705,
Over-provisioning resources when you write shitty code >>52077059
Generally making ass hat recommendations (We could save money if we make this in RAID 5, we can't buy those Nvidia Quadros nvidia has no drivers! This is a dell server, that means it will only work with dell ram)

>>52079663
If you look at my OP, you'll see I don't mention anything about being an undergrad. Often times it's the senior programmers making these moronic comments.
>>
Nice inert box fin training bomb in OPs photo.

Worth monies to a collector too especially since that bomb style is long obsolete.

I will now fap to inert training muns.
>>
>>52077705
>>52078499
>faggots calling Ken Thompson dumb
Get over your fanboyism, osx is a way better development environment than Windows with actual support unlike Linux.
Fuck, I don't even own a mac and I can see why people would use it.
>>
>>52077059
>It really is astounding how much programmers of the 70s-80s were able to squeeze out of the hardware in comparison to today’s programmers.
They did it because there was a need to. But now hardware is cheap and it's faster and more practical to just scale hardware instead of super optimizing code.
If you had any real industry experience you'd realize how fucking inane your comment is.
>>
>>52084448
You're just one of the bad programmers. I hope you get a job and have to deal with someone worse than you.
>>
It is a common thing, luckily I grew up with Pcs, and end up solving hardware problems too. As some poster said, CS programmes barely teach you hardware. It is a shame really, like a F1 pilot not knowing how to change a flat tire.
>>
>>52084515
I already have a six fig job and if you can't understand balancing performance and productivity I would never want to work with you either.
>>
>>52084448

>If you had any real industry experience you'd realize how fucking inane your comment is.

New generation programmers are lazy, and expect the companies they work for to cover up their lack of skill by throwing endless resources to run their code. I'm not talking optimization here, I'm talking sane best-practice programming, which you apparently have none of (lol just add more RAM man).
>>
>>52084414

>osx is a way better development environment than Windows

1st year CS?
>>
>>52084677
He's right though, at least OSX is unix unlike winblows. There's a definite advantage in terms of development tools.
>>
>>52084594

Millenials everybody. Round of applause please.
>>
>>52084700

I don't think you quite understand what you're talking about, but I wouldn't expect any less.
>>
>>52084645
>>52084714
Yeah keep jerking off to your outdated view of the industry and talking about how everything should be programmed in C while the rest of us actually does something useful gramps.
>>
>>52076769
How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
>>
>>52084741
What part of what I said doesn't make sense? Oh wait, you're just a little shit that gets his knowledge from /g/.
>>
>>52084773

>you're just a little shit that gets his knowledge from /g/.

Oh the irony.
>>
>>52084756

>while the rest of us actually does something useful gramps

Apparently throwing sloppy code together in node.js is 'useful' nowadays? Ok kid.
>>
>>52084802
Still waiting for an actual refutation of what I said.
>>
>>52084765
None, its a hardware problem
>>
>>52076769
Why are most people so dumb. period?
>>
>>52084765
None, some programmer already made an API for that
>>
>>52084873
Why do people lack common sense?
>>
>>52077078
We learnt how to build up a CPU from logic gates in our first term. Depends on the course.
>>
>>52083793
>being this autistic
>>
>>52082315
my ivy bridge isn't soldered
>>
>>52077005
What does knowing things about consumer hardware like gpu matter? Do you really think that because you built your own pc you're somehow superior to this guy or something?
I'd expect a programmer to know fundamental knowledge rather than if they know which graphics card is the fastest or some shit.
>>
>>52082315
>CPU laptops
>CPU LAPTOPS

get off /g/
>>
>>52084819

You want me to educate you why spending 2k on a Apple laptop is not a good investment if you just want an *NIX environment?

Apparently Linux/BSD don't exist, nor VMs, nor cygwin, nor Windows Service for UNIX. Also, apparently everyone is developing for UNIX nowadays. Brilliant logic there, m8.
>>
>>52085047
>You want me to educate you why spending 2k on a Apple laptop is not a good investment if you just want an *NIX environment?
I make enough money where 2k is not that much of a drop for me especially when it comes to a laptop I'll use for couple years.
>Linux/BSD don't exist, nor VMs, nor cygwin, nor Windows Service for UNIX.
You're ignoring my points regarding OSX. It offers a NIX environment WITH commercial support. Have fun messing with fucking printer drivers on linux. Even Android MTP support was a mess on Linux till some random Russian dude wrote something to deal with it. And cygwin on Windows fucking sucks compared to the real thing.
>everyone is developing for UNIX nowadays
Yes, especially if you look at web dev. Hell look at the laptops issued at most tech companies, they're all macs for a reason. Server related shit is much easier to develop on a Nix environment than it is windows.

I'm not saying you should get a mac, I'm calling you retarded for being so autistic you can't see why people are using macs.
>>
File: autism.jpg (15 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
15 KB, 300x225
>>52082315
>>
>>52085160

>is not that much

Child mentality.

>It offers a NIX environment WITH commercial support.

RHEL exists.

>Yes, especially if you look at web dev.

Soooo ... your a web developer. All the tale tell signs are there, makes sense.

>I'm calling you retarded for being so autistic

Good job.
>>
>>52085238
>Child mentality.
Poorfag mentality

>RHEL exists.
>RHEL
You should just kill yourself if you're even thinking about suggesting RHEL to someone as their desktop os. It doesn't even pale in comparison to OSX in terms of commercial support.

>Soooo ... your a web developer. All the tale tell signs are there, makes sense.
Right, because web development is just all css/html right? Because Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and all those other top tech companies would never do web dev.

>Good job.
Thanks
>>
File: bad device driver.jpg (41 KB, 634x360) Image search: [Google]
bad device driver.jpg
41 KB, 634x360
>>52076769
If they're self taught, they likely know very little about anything computer related beyond what was required to write some scripts. If they're university educated, it's likely because no hardware was part of their curriculum. When I graduated, a Bachelor of Computer Engineering degree included classes in electrical engineering, software engineering, and computer science. You ended up understanding every layer of the computer from the callbacks assigned to a mouse click down to the p-n junction of a logic gate. And since you took physics, you understand why a p-n junction works.

Since I graduated, the Computer Engineering degree has been converted into all hardware while there is now a Software Engineering degree that's, you guessed it, all software. And of course the CS degree doesn't touch hardware either. Students coming out of those programs have no real idea how things on the other side work.

I think this is why device drivers in general are such shit. There are very few people knowledgeable in both hardware and software so whoever writes the drivers has a poor understanding of half of what they're dealing with.
>>
>>52085307
>And of course the CS degree doesn't touch hardware either. Students coming out of those programs have no real idea how things on the other side work
At my school it depends on what electives you take. You can take OS/networking/architecture and all those other lower level classes if you want to.
No offense, but a lot of the CE/EE guys I've talked to have a good understanding of hardware but they're much weaker in higher concepts like algorithm or data structures. They can write c/assembly code but it's some of the worst I've every seen, especially EE majors since they follow some weird NASA guidelines.
>>
>>52076769
i know how processors i saw a video on youtube about it. the paki said whatever is in eip is what happens next
>>
>>52084414
>Get over your fanboyism,
Get over yours faggot.

>osx is a way better development environment than Windows with actual support unlike Linux.
You ever use xcode? It's buggy shit.

>Fuck, I don't even own a mac and I can see why people would use it.
Of course you don't, you just get paid to pull shit out of your ass then eat it with you own hands.
>>
>>52085293

>poorfag mentality
>desktop os
>Google, Amazon, Microsoft
>web dev
>thanks

Child.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.