[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MBR vs GPT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: uefi-firmware-settings.png (72 KB, 600x347) Image search: [Google]
uefi-firmware-settings.png
72 KB, 600x347
Is their any clear advantage to using a GPT/UEFI install of Windows compared to MBR?

I'm not even going to be using a large system disk or doing a lot of partitions.

So /g/ what do you recommend?
>>
>>52075401
Sorry m8, you lost me at Windows.
>>
eufi desu senpai
>>
GPT>MBR
>>
>>52075401
nah, it was basically designed to lock you out of your own computer
>>
>>52075498
What do you mean by locking out?
>>
>>52075401
You get protected against MBR rootkits and fastboot is fucking nice ignoring everything but the main HDD/SSD for even faster button press to desktop bootups.
>>
Windows still exists? What year is this?
>>
>>52075576
ignore him, UEFI is based asf
>>
>>52075401
GPT allows more than 4 partition without an extended while MBR is opposite, UEFI is used for security measures for one type of malware that locks the boot loader (all I know)
>>
>>52075896
current year
>>
GPT is superior to MBR

UEFI is superior if you're on a single, windows only installation, or a linux + windows installation using systemd boot.
>>
>>52077399
UEFI as is constantly mentioned throughout this thread is more secure which is why it's harder to dualboot with. The funny thing is that the standard you guys all claim windows is behind is actually a standard developed by a set of agreed upon practices to help protect against rootkits.
>>
>>52077443
how is this relevant to my post
>>
>>52075401
>want to try UEFI install of linux
>forces me to make a fucking FAT partition and fuck around with the bootloader for whatever retarded reason
God fuck that shit. MBR literally just works. My other drive is GPT only because it's 4TB.
>>
File: efisetup.png (26 KB, 765x300) Image search: [Google]
efisetup.png
26 KB, 765x300
>>52077529
that's uefi in general

on bios this would be 3 partitions

UEFI just werks too though, and better if you use a modern motherboard and linux bootloader/windows OS
>>
>>52077529
So you'd prefer a 512 byte segment of directly executed, unsigned x86 code that has to look for magic numbers to find the second section, which then loads the bootloader which then loads the kernel over a filesystem with proper executables of practically any size (including an entire linux kernel) with optional signing?
>>
>>52077399
So if I were to be running a multi-boot system (WinXP, Win7 & ubuntu all in MBR) would it be worth making the Windows 10 installation GPT/UEFI since the motherboard can support it?
>>
>UEFI as is constantly mentioned throughout this thread is more secure which is why it's harder to dualboot with. The funny thing is that the standard you guys all claim windows is behind is actually a standard developed by a set of agreed upon practices to help protect against rootkits.
>>52077443

No it is a great feature for security, impossible to disagree. Where windows fucks everyone, is not allowing the owner of the computer to add their own trusted certificates to the boot process. As implemented, everything has to be signed by windows. Thats completly unnecessary and undermines the entire concept of ownership.
>>
>>52077612
I don't see why that matters. I'll be 0.0001% more likely to get a rootkit? Sounds preferable to having FAT partitions.
>>
>>52077671
lol

unless you enjoy switching your motherboard from BIOS to MBR everytime you need to boot windows 10, no.

Also, a disk can only be either GPT or MBR. Windows XP does not support GPT, at all. So in order for that to work, your Windows 10 drive would need to be entirely seperated from the rest too.
>>
>>52077720
>BIOS to MBR
BIOS to UEFI*
>>
>>52077671
If using multiple drives and you don't mind XP not being able to see your 10 partition, you can, I'd put Windows 10 + a EFI boot manager such as rEFInd to give you a pretty menu on your main drive all on the GPT formatted drive, 7/10 on the second drive as MBR. Ubuntu can be on either.

If you're trying to put them all on a single drive, you have to use MBR.
>>
>>52077720
Most UEFI implementations can start the CSM at the request of a bootloader, so using something like rEFInd you'd just select Legacy Boot and it'll run whatever the MBR points at.
>>
>>52077759
True, but I dont see why go through the effort over just installing windows 10 to BIOS/MBR with a setup like that.
>>
>>52077720
>>52077731
All the different OS are on separate physical drives. Win10 will be replacing Win7. So I was wanting to clean install and now see this option of going with uefi.

The motherboard is quite a recent ASUS one that claims it has UEFI BIOS but from what I gather that's a confusing/somewhat incorrect label.
>>
Does gentoo installation book have a description of setting up EFI boot?
>>
>>52077771
Messing around with GRUB configs or having to spam F8 every time you start to get into the mobo's boot menu vs reasonably competent autodetection from rEFInd, I'd go with EFI.
>>
When did we evolve from a BIOS, a CPU and a Hard Drive controller to a BIOS, a CPU, and a hard drive controller that acts as if it manages the whole entire system?
>>
File: 1447273360583.jpg (6 KB, 211x238) Image search: [Google]
1447273360583.jpg
6 KB, 211x238
>>52080000
When you checked those guads.
>>
>>52080000

what the fuck is this uefi bullshit?
>>
>>52075401
UEFI is garbage, designed to lock you on Micro$oft's land. There's no advantage as in better security or performance.
>>
>>52077612
This is the reason I can't install the os of my choice in many laptops. Great improvement!
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.