[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of the Chromecast?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: Chromecast2Angle[1].jpg (46 KB, 848x494) Image search: [Google]
Chromecast2Angle[1].jpg
46 KB, 848x494
What does /g/ think of the Chromecast?
>>
top botnet
>>
Don't even know what it is.
>>
>>52072445
I still have the first version,loving it.
>>
Also have a first gen. Had it for over a year now. Use it every day.
>>
>>52072445
It still have no idea what's it used for.
>>
>>52072445
Anything with that symbol, just steer clear of it
>>
>>52072445
got the newest version when it came out
really handy for streaming things from my phone
hell, I can even use my laptop as long as I use the browser extension
>>
>>52072890
mostly tossing shit off your phone or laptop. great for cable cutters or pirates. netflix, yt, plex have apps that work with chromecast. also for stuff like pirated boxing/mma matches you can launch them in your browser and then cast it
>>
>Google
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzyrc5VCP_U
>>
I just bought an Asus Chromebit this Christmas, ive never used a Chromecast device or any other chromeOS based google product besides the Chromebooks.

I was thinking of either the Chromebit, or about 100$ more for a ChromeBox, but the bit is just convenient based on how much space it takes up.

Decent specs too for what it costs and the fact that its about the size of a somewhat longer USB stick.
>>
>>52072951
It's for TVs, right? I don't have one.
>>
>>52072445
software on "smart" tv's suck ass 99.9% of the time. the other .1% is never updated and eventually becomes glitched/out of date (LOL time to buy a new TV hurf). at least with shit like chromecast and roku you have an software/app ecosystem that doesn't get stale
>>
>>52072970
then get one. enjoying shit on anything less than a 46" screen is for fucking plebians and bent neck poorfags.
>>
>>52072890

This. I've always assumed it's like a wireless HDMI
>>
>>52073004
Sorry, I don't have sighting problems.
>>
File: cTu1U.gif (141 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
cTu1U.gif
141 KB, 500x374
>>52073029
>doesn't deny being a bent neck poorfag or plebian

sorry i forgot you live in a card board box and don't know how to enjoy life
>>
>>52072445

Inferior to Amazon Fire Stick
>>
>>52072464
>>52072890
>>52073015
Luddites need not apply
>>
>>52072445
It's a gimped Miracast adapter anchored to Google products.
What more do you need to know? It's crap for local content, proved to be incaoable of screen sharing in my case.
It handles Youtube videos by creating an entire playlist it can push to the Chromecast so it can handle it locally via its Youtube app.
Not elegant at all.

Was able to stream muh animu in 720p at 30fps. Higher filesizes or resolutions and it just gave up - choppy playback and buffering.
And that was with a third party app, and it's STILL anchored to Google Chrome!

If you never want to use Google Chrome, then don't buy this garbage.
Hell, don't buy it period. Spend another $20-30 and get a Miracast adapter.
>>
>>52073254
>Amazon anything

when will you stop being poor? do you buy no-name or walmart brand shit when you go grocery shopping too. jesus christ
>>
I own a SmartTV with support out of the box for all the apps I need. My TV also supports my portable HDD for watching films.
For those on older TVs it's very handy though. We were able to put a Chromecast in my wife's dad's 8 year old non-smart, non-WiFi TV and play films from a HDD plugged into his old non-HDMI laptop on his TV via Videocast in HD with absolutely no lag and only a tiny amount of buffering before it started.

If you can't afford a new TV, buy one.
>>
>>52073413

Amazon Fire Stick still has superior specs compared to the newest Chromecast

There is pretty much no reason for me to buy anything else and you cant come up for a reason why I should without getting buttflustered
>>
>>52072445
Meh. Works if you have the right router and thats about it. Not really reliable even if you do. Lags for no reason too. Got one for free and still have no use for it.
>>
>>52073464
>no cast support
still no reason for a fire stick
the convenience factor just beats all for most, you just dont get that 'it just werks' out of amazon's
>>
>>52073394
>anchored to Google products.
and any of the numerous apps that support it, an open standard would be best but nothing else has this level of functionality and ease
>It's crap for local content,
plex
>proved to be incaoable of screen sharing in my case.
your phone is shit then
>It handles Youtube videos by creating an entire playlist it can push to the Chromecast so it can handle it locally via its Youtube app.
great for sharing between multiple users, anyone can manipulate the playlist with ease
>>
>>52073464
>getting suckered into shitty wannabe amazon ecosystem no one gives a shit about
>paying money to get ads and walled garden shoved down your throat

LOL
>>
>>52072445
Can you turn off the screen when using it or still have to leave the screen on?
>>
>>52074099
just wait for the next gen of fire phones

LOL
>>
For cellphone loving normies, it's great.
>>
>>52074130
>and any of the numerous apps that support it
None of which can work without gluing itself to Google Chrome as an extension.
>plex
Why did you think I bought a fucking streamstick? To avoid using a media server, if it didn't come across.
>your phone is shit then
>phone
PHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
Thanks for the laugh mate, I'm talking about desktop, idiot.
>great for sharing between multiple users, anyone can manipulate the playlist with ease
Do normies really do this? I have never met someone who links someone a playlist to use with Chromecast, most people just say "the video is called xyz".

I bought a Chromecast to act as a wireless HDMI cable. It failed.
>>
>>52074340
>None of which can work without gluing itself to Google Chrome as an extension.

VLC's Windows app has Chromecast support built-in without anything Chrome. It's more challenging so devs take the Google Cast approach which only required a handful extra lines of code to push pixels to the screen.
>>
>>52072445
I wish it had ethernet, WiFi a shit
>>
File: chromecast-ethernet-adapter[1].jpg (31 KB, 755x492) Image search: [Google]
chromecast-ethernet-adapter[1].jpg
31 KB, 755x492
>>52075571
works well man
>>
>jumping through all those hoops to do what could be achieved with a $10 HDMI cable
>>
>>52075618
Sweet. Would this work with the original chromecast?
>>
>>52075638
>I don't know what a chromcast really does
>>
I do think it's rather expensive for what it's used for. $35 just to stream stuff? I'm pretty sure Google would still make a profit if it was sold for $10.
>>
>>52075650
Yes, it was made for the original but also works for the new one. Also Android phones and whatnot.
>>
>>52075701
>Google Chromecast (2015 Model) + $20 Google Play Credit for $30 + Free Store Pickup

They also give you free movie rentals sometimes.
>>
>>52075739
So it really is $10
>>
So I just use it to stream youtube.

What else can it do?
>>
>>52075701
How do you know the production cost of a Chromecast? Are you a manufacturer of electronics?
>>
>>52076316
Plex
Netflix
Hulu
HBO GO
HBO NOW
SHOWTIME
Google Music
YouTube
Google Photos
AllCast
Pocketcasts
Twitch
Google Play Movies & TV
Pandora
Spotify
Any tab on a desktop or laptop

Those are just off the top of my head
>>
>>52076387
Chrome extension can do the whole screen as well
>>
Thanks!
>>
>>52072445

How much better it is compared to the original? I have the original version, it's a piece of shit sometimes.
>>
It would be better if I was able to cast my whole Chromebook screen to the TV with minimal latency.
>>
>>52076387
The spotify cast doesn't scrobble though and it kinda pisses me off
>>
>>52076484
it's a refresh. not much better. then again these are both like $25-30 devices, so who fucking cares. if you want something slightly beefier then buy a roku 3 or something
>>
>>52076445
Do not say thanks to /g/ you filthy human scum
>>
>>52074099

It has built in miracast support. Firestick with Kodi sideloaded is god-tier for 40 burgers.
>>
>>52078566
kodi is for autists
>>
>>52078580

Giving money to die Juden is for cucks.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.