[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a mechanical engineer. I want to ask a question about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1
File: ka.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ka.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
I am a mechanical engineer.

I want to ask a question about MATLAB.

I don't want to be an academician. I want to work in industry. I want to do manufacturing.

Can MATLAB help me? Can MATLAB be useful for me? What kind of job i may use it?
>>
>>52069563
sucking dicks
>>
>>52069563
MATLAB is pure shit.
>>
>>52069563
Not that useful unless your work is heavy on the calculations.I would suggest you learn some CAD software (Visi, SolidWorks, Autocad etc)
>>
>>52069563>>52069563
No. No. None.
>>
GNU OCTAVE
>>
>>52069563
matlab is good for matrix calculation. you do plenty of finite element analysis, and PDE resolutions, its all about matrix. so matlab is good for you.

but in the industry, 90% of engineers work as administrator not R&D, so you might not use it in that context.

im also en mec eng.
>>
Fookin MS Paint, fuck yur bootleg shite
>>
>>52069563
Nope. Matlab is only used at unis.
My company does mech. eng. and our R&D dept. does everything in autodesk mechanical and inventor.
>>
Can i use it for robotic works?

I am also asking for simulink.
>>
>>52070028
You'd be better off with LabVIEW.
>>
>>52069563
OpenFOAM is considerably more useful, for like pretty much anything.
>>
Matlab is used in industry and it may be worth picking it up if it is available at your place of education. Whether that is so that you get a career that uses Matlab in the future, you get a career that uses relevant skills (programmatic thinking/familiarity) or you might just enjoy it. Personally I would use python but I guess mech eng is more likely to be Matlab.

Where I work it is used in the design and testing of imaging devices.
>>
>>52069563
Well... Matlab means matrix laboratory so it's all about what can be done with matrix.
I'm using matlab for statistics and implementing my own algorithms quickly so I suspect it would be useful for being a data analyst but I'm an academician, not a useful worker yet...
>>
>>52070500
Could you give example about this anon? Which companies use MATLAB in industry?

I know python, beside that i know ardunio also. May MATLAB and SIMULINK be useful really?
>>
>>52069563
>academician

that's not even a word
>>
>>52069563
YES YES YES
If you can't learn it easily within a few months, you inept.
It's a useful conversion tool, and can be rapidly used to test mathematical concepts of design idea's.
>>
>>52071083
Where the fuck do you live anon ?
An academician is a member of the academic corpus. It may be a phd student, a researcher, a lecturer or a professor.
>>
>>52071203

i thought he made it up
>>
> KEKLAB
>>
>>52069563
Same here OP, just a thesis away from my master's degree. The only way you might need Matlab would be for cloud point, Finite element...
Simulink might be useful though.
>>
>>52069563
How is matlab and simulink not mandatory for engineers worldwide? It blows every other numerical computing software straight out of the fucking water. Even knowing only the basics opens up a lot of job opportunities.

Don't listen to the /g/eeks, MATLAB is GOAT tier for actual engineers.
>>
Simulink is one of the best tools for designing control systems. I use it every day as a chemical engineer and I have electrical engineer friend that use it as well.
>>
>>52071965
What kind of projects do you use it? Could you give an example?
>>
>>52069563
no, go with Autocad or Catia
>>
>>52072010
I'm working on pumping CO2 into crude oil wells that don't have enough pressure to free flow and are too viscous. The CO2 mixes with the crude at a point called the minimum miscibility pressure, I'm working on determining that pressure and the flow rate of CO2 required.
Simulink helps in the development of transfer functions for various controllers.
>>
I worked in Hauweis rnd center. We used Matlab exclusively in our simulations.
>>
>>52072907
Are you a mechanical engineer anon?
>>
>>52072968
No, bachelour in CS and master in EE
>>
>>52073014
>bachelour
>>
>>52069563
>MATLAB
>industry
learn how to use excel really well. VBA would be more useful than matlab
>>
>using matlab instead of numpy
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>52070089
I like simulink more. LabView has shit documentation and I've only seen it interact with NI hardware only.
>>
http://www.sagemath.org/
>>
>>52069563
If you're actually a mechE, you would know the answer to this.
>>
I work on a product whose engineers are primarily experts in computer vision and machine learning. Matlab isn't a huge part of everyday life but lots of dudes on my team rely pretty heavily on it to prototype new ideas or quickly plot/analyse telemetry data. Fixed a few bugs myself by writing some *.m scripts.

Before this job I've never needed it outside of some undergrad courses but the nature of our work is pretty R&D-ish, so there you go. Like pretty much every other "what tools/language do I need for industry"-type questions, it depends on the type of work you do.
>>
>>52070089
LabVIEW is shit

>>52070215
Why are you comparing CFD software to a technical programming language? Makes no sense

>>52075603
Numpy is great and all, but if you don't work for a company that's too cheap to buy Matlab licenses there's no reason to use it. It's inferior in just about every way other than being open source

>>52075535
No. Excel is complete shit. If your company is too cheap for Matlab at least use Numpy

AE here btw. Focus on GNC, so Matlab+Simulink is used heavily in industry
>>
>>52069563
Matlab is a bunch of scripts written in 4tran by some asshat during the age of computer mainframes that has been updated only in what language it uses. It would serve you better to grab one of the clones, and learn to use command line. At this point the only benifit of matlab is a familiar gui.
>>
>>52069602
/sci/ pls
>>
Matlab is used by scientists at times wanting ultra convenient calculations for their models and theories applied to engineering
>>
MATLAB is lingua franca for engineers where I'm from. Only some companies seem to use it outside of academia though.
>>
>>52080049
Also for 1st year engineering classes where they teach us to graph sin waves and do matrix calculations with the magic of computers!
>>
>>52075640
My nigga. http://cloud.sagemath.com is a mindlessly easy way to try Sage out
>>
it's shit

this is coming from someone who worked in it for two years

use scipy or something
>>
>>52071223
lol'd imagining the 12 year old who wrote this regretful response
>>
>>52080116
That's because a commercial license is expensive as fuck.
>>
>>52069563
MatLabs going the way of fortran I think. It's something useful to teach young engineers analytical and programming skills. But there's better languages around.

Still, for analytics and visualization, matlab is a pretty fucking powerful tool,freshman year of school we made a ultrasonic scanner that would give the shape of a metal object hidden beneath black gelatin.

I'm a CivE though, so I have a different point of view then what other industries find useful.
>>
>>52069563
Took a class that was not calculation intensive and the instructor used matlab to avoid us finding solutions in other languages. That sucked.

>>52069688
This.

>>52069724
This.

>>52082991
This.

Good luck.
>>
How the fuck did you get an engineering degree without touching Matlab at least once?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.