[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wifi reaching a detached basement unit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: apartment.jpg (144 KB, 1078x1239) Image search: [Google]
apartment.jpg
144 KB, 1078x1239
I'm moving to a new apartment, and in my new building, each apartment has its own corresponding "basement" which is basically a single room secured a solid door and a padlock found in the underground hallway, accessible by the stairwell. Most people use these for storage but I've noticed mine is fully equipped with electrical outlets and heaters. It's big enough to set up some sort of office or vidya center (inb4 cuckshed) but I'm not sure how I'll get my wifi down there.

I've seen these wifi repeaters but they seem to be designed for mcMansions and I question if they can penetrate all the metal and concrete between my front door and my basement which is all the way at the end of the hall (pic related). And since repeaters are typically placed at the halfway point between the router and the intended receiver, I doubt I'd be able to set one up in the stairwell or the basement hallway where anyone could steal it.

My budget is about $150 to get a wifi signal down there that's good enough for some console/pc gaming and youtube, but I'd be willing to increase my budget to about $300 if it means getting wifi down there that's damn near as strong as it is in my apartment. I'm just worried about buying a repeater only to find out it can't do the job.

Suggestions? Anyone have to something like this before? Sorry but I don't know the dimensions of the building since I'm not there yet.
>>
>>52067666
A perfect rape dungeon and you're going to turn it into a rumpus room.

baka desu senpai
>>
>>52067699
There's room for that too actually
>>
Powerline adapter maybe, or a really long ethernet cable
>>
>>52067666
Drill hole in floor, insert ethernet cable
>>
File: Piwnica_w_bloku_mieszkalnym.jpg (3 MB, 2304x3072) Image search: [Google]
Piwnica_w_bloku_mieszkalnym.jpg
3 MB, 2304x3072
>>52067666
A commieblock?
>>52067763
>powerline
I guess basement is in a different circuit than his apartment.
>>
>>52067801
That pic isn't far off from what the hallway looks like
>>
>>52067848
Yeah, the one on the pic is like from the 1970s or 1980s. New buildings are cleaner and nicer.
>>
File: powerline.png (126 KB, 972x822) Image search: [Google]
powerline.png
126 KB, 972x822
>>52067763
>>52067801
How is powerline gonna help?
>>
>>52067939
It's not. It won't work at all, because it would have to bypass the usage meter in your apartment.
>>
>>52067763
>really long ethernet cable
So, from my front door, down the stairwell, into the basement, down the hallway and into my batcave?

Sure let me just run this by my landlord
>>
File: wifi.jpg (146 KB, 1078x1239) Image search: [Google]
wifi.jpg
146 KB, 1078x1239
>>52067666
This is the way I would do it, the red is wifi repeaters, or could be routers, the blue is cable, the third red in your basement is optional, depends if you want wifi or cable is enough down there
>>
My first step would be finding out who has a basement from your side owning an apartment on the opposite side and ask if you could swap, reducing the range by half. Save a bunch of money getting cheaper gear or not needing any investment at all.
>>
>>52068140
I mean it's the best idea so far, I just don't think the property managers will approve me running cords or having equipment mounted in the common areas like the hallways and stairs. They are nazis about everything. They don't have A/C and forbid you from using your own A/C units because they're worried about condensation leaking and warping the floorboards. That's how gay they are
>>
File: 1w_80211amp.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1w_80211amp.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>52067666

You might need to set up a cheap machine to do it, but I'd suggest getting a 1W amplifier (pic related), a cheap USB dongle w/detachable antenna, and build out a shitbox w/Linux or even XP to function as a separate access point to your network.
>>
>>52068324
It would require two amplifiers, because with only one signal would reach basement, but hardware in basement wouldn't be able to respond.
>>
>>52068220
that is some pretty good idea. OP take in consideration
>>
>>52068220
I'll consider it. The only question I'll have to figure out is whether or not that space is as nice as mine. I think some of the units are just concrete cells with nothing in them. Plus there are at least two unoccupied apartments in my sector, so there's a chance there will be nobody to ask.
>>
Trips.....>>52067666
>>
>basement

stay classy /g/

now im not sure why, if ever the claim that the apartment is yours (and not a manchild living off his parents) is real, you want to connect the basement unit to internet.

seems illogical to me.
>>
>>52068811
It's cooler there during summer.
>>
>>52068811
To make the most use of the available space that I'm paying for. If you have nothing to store, and there's an extra room with heating and electricity, why let it be empty for years?

I'm open to other ideas for it that exclude an Internet connection. Keep in mind I can't run noisy power tools down there.
>>
>>52067666
Test out powerline networking, you can get outlets with WiFi built in.
>>
>>52068923
so you want a mancave, well nothing wrong with that.

instead of running ethernet cable through the entire building why not first contact teleco to ask them where is the actual gateway of the internet on your building, could
be closer to the basement than your apartment.
>>
>>52069006
And if it is, then what?
>>
>>52068374

yes, you're right. I completely forgot about that.
>>
>>52068973
I just looked into it.
The basement outlets probably aren't on the same circuit as the apartment.
Not only that but what I read says they only work with 110v outlets. I live in Germany now so it's all European outlets

Interesting concept though, thank you
>>
Smh desu senpai
>>
Sneakernet has better bandwidth than WiFi anyway. Why use the internet at all when you can carry a 64GB microsd card full of data from your apartment to the basement? You can just download what you need to the card, walk it downstairs, and then repeat the process in reverse for uploads. Almost definitely better bandwidth than transferring a signal across a series of repeaters.
>>
>>52067666
Get a suitable wireless carrier data plan
/thread
>>
Router bridge.

/thread
>>
>>52067666
Just try a repeater, if it doesn't work then return it. If it doesn't work see if your ISP can run another line for a separate modem. If that's something you can budget.
>>
dont buy a repeater yet ask if you can change your basement to one of the other storage rooms thats much closer to your apartment.try to see if you can get the one that's all to the way to the right so u can just put a repeater outside your apartment wall and like glue it there.
>>
File: 676200114_231.jpg (38 KB, 686x552) Image search: [Google]
676200114_231.jpg
38 KB, 686x552
>>52067666
If the electrical sockets in the basement are on the same circuit as your main house, you can use them as ethernet ports.
>>
>>52072293
Shit, just saw >>52069381, never mind.
>>
>>52070205
>>52070219
helleoslo ! wlecome 2 siamees cuckldrynet®
hop enjoy!
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.