[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Another Plan 9 thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Plan9bunnysmblack.jpg (4 KB, 190x222) Image search: [Google]
Plan9bunnysmblack.jpg
4 KB, 190x222
Will keep posting these as long as it takes for some kind of actual momentum to form behind this OS

Summary for new people: Plan 9 is the evolution of the UNIX operating system and should have been what we were using instead of Ganoob Lunix

Last thread
>>51996538
>>
>>52066902
Have you been able to do anything interesting with it latley?

And happy Christmas.
>>
I'd like to interject for just a moment. What you are referring to as Ganoob Lunix is actually GNU/Ganoob Lunix, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Ganoob Lunix. Ganoob Lunix is not an OS in itself but rather another part of the GNU system made useful by other GNU software.
>>
>>52066933
Honestly, not yet. I'm just trying to bring some discussion and give people an actual tech thread to participate in because it looks like we're being raided by /pol/.
>>
>>52067009
Are you talking about those nigger dick threads? Just report and ignore them.
>>
>>52067009
Ah. Your contribution of relevant material on /g/ is appreciated.

For a while I was trying to write some basic programs for it, but then I got side tracked and ended up working on the same ideas under Linux instead. Perhaps I should go back. . .
>>
>>52066902

Am porting miniPicolisp to it since its pretty small language and I need it for work related stuff.
>>
>>52067852
When it is avaliable, please tell us for certain. I would gladly try to use that. Ot give feedback.
>>
Goodness!

>Will keep posting it
>Have you been able to do anything interesting with it?
>No
>...but, you SHOULD have been using this instead of gaNOOB linux

I wonder how this thread could possibly turn out. Plan9, the starbucks hipster of operating systems. A fun little jab, I wonder what your worst nightmare would be. The joke is it would go like

>walk into coffee shop and see everyone using windows 10

But realistically it would be
>walk into coffee shop and see everyone using Plan9
You'd flip shit if other people used this garbage.
>>
>>52069257

Well hopefully mid January since I've been slacking a lot.
>>
it's basically object-oriented unix, after bjarne raped it with his OO ideas

and lacks a standard C compiler

it's shit
>>
plan 9 is shit

lisp machines rule
>>
>>52066973
Very true, Anon. Most people don't know that the GNU kernel (Hurd) was being developed BEFORE Linus started work on the GNU+Linux kernel.
>>
>>52069422
>instead of gaNOOB linux
why not fucking both? Have people really forgotten how to have fun with technology?
>>
Since p9 is overall anti gnu and its community is more or less openly anti Stallman maybe you should consider moving this to lainchan like the lisp general guy.
>>
>>52066902
you're at least a decade late
>>
Plan9 is a great idea, but the dependency on the mouse is kind of a turn off.
>>
File: proliant-ml350-g3.jpg (57 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
proliant-ml350-g3.jpg
57 KB, 1000x750
Made a thread a while back for this but didn't get many replies, is Plan 9 useful for server roles? I'm debating between putting it or Win2k3 on my shed space heater.
>>
Realistically speaking, what use does this have? What purpose? What's missing for that purpose? What actual project exists that needs this?
>>
I want to play around with it, but the focus on mouse use and graphical bitchiness really put me off before I could get a workflow going.
Is there an easy way to get a keyboard only workflow with a vi like editor going?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.