[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is my computer trying to force me to upgrade to windows 10?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: Screenshot (54).png (2 MB, 2640x1056) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (54).png
2 MB, 2640x1056
Why is my computer trying to force me to upgrade to windows 10?
>>
>microsoft
>forcing updates
wow who would have thought
>>
Please read the sticky before posting.

/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

For tech support/issues with computers, use >>>/wsr/.

For simple/small/stupid questions, use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the /sqt/ thread.
>>
>those fucking jpeg artifacts on that yellow windows 8 wallpaper
What was Memesoft thinking I have no clue
>>
>>52065820
A E S T H E T I C S
>>
File: Screenshot (55).png (230 KB, 2640x1056) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (55).png
230 KB, 2640x1056
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies anon, is anyone else dealing with this?
>>
>>52065848
Install windows 7 and disable updates.
>>
>>52065869
>Install windows 7 and disable updates.
that won't work I need security updates. I'm not asking for tech support, this is a tech related discussion, just wondering if anyone else has this going on their 8.1 machines
>>
>>52065788
>windows 8

In your case, Windows 10 is actually an upgrade.
>>
>>52065788
Because you give away your freedom by running a closed sourced OS. These kind of things are expected to happen when using closed source shit. If you don't want shit like this to happen than you need to start using freedom respecting, FLOS, software.
>>
>>52065892
Look man, this isn't philosophy class, I'm glad that you've got a hardon for Gentoo, I do too, but I didn't ask for a FOSS recommendation.
>>
File: windows10upgrade.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
windows10upgrade.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>>52065878
yes it feels really good
>>
File: wat.png (217 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
217 KB, 600x512
>security
>windows 10
>>
File: Kt6uO.jpg (28 KB, 450x305) Image search: [Google]
Kt6uO.jpg
28 KB, 450x305
OP HERE conclusion: you guys are a bunch of wannabe nerds

Nevermind I ever asked, I'm going to just look it up and not get trolled.
>>
>>52065989
Install gentoo fgt
>>
>>52065989
>Why is windows forcing me to upgrade?
Because microsoft wants to profit from you.

faget
>>
File: Screenshot (56).png (317 KB, 2640x1056) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (56).png
317 KB, 2640x1056
>>52066009
JOkes on you
>>
>>52065788

because you told it to

my Windows 8.1 isn't telling me anything
>>
>>52066061
hory sheet it's a free upgrade...the bar is low gentlemen
>>
>>52065788
Better question: why have you made a shitty thread about it here?
>>
>>52066086
I didn't make a shitty thread. I made a thread. You filled it with shit. It could have been filled with gold, some knowledge about the rollout schedule, anything besides trying to troll me...
>>
Click that little X in a red square on the top-right corner of the message.
Your welcome OP.
>>
best you can do is create a bat file to uninstall certain updates
>>
>>52066096
>some knowledge
Its called "Google" around here, you type words and it give your answers, pretty magical stuff.
>>
>>52065800
Fucking wannabe mod faggot, fuck off you will never be a moderator, this poor guy is just confused, if you're not going to help him then just fuck off.
>>
>>52066431
>Spoonfeeding retards who can't googe
Neo-/g/ is real.
>>
>>52066449
Of course he's retarted, but that's why I pity them.
>>
>>52066471
Go pity your fucking mom on reddit faggot
>>
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8218
Here OP look at this.
>>
>>52066488
Thanks for le upboat kind sir :^)
>>
>>52066488
Go suck some more dicks.
>>
>>52066081
they don't make bank from sales moron
>>
>>52066504
>Implying I didn't sage
>>52066505
I would but OP is fucking sucking them all!
>>
>>52065878
Do what anon says and MANUALLY install updates. You can still do it yourself, just uncheck the win10 upgrade when you install them.
>>
>>52066096
They're trolling you because we had obscenely in-depth threads about all of this 4 month ago, and them trolling you is saying "lol, you're late to the party".

>You filled it with shit.
I'm pretty sure you baited the shit yourself. Maybe unconciously.
Posting about the Windows 10 upgrade is sign language for "i want a shitflinging thread pls come and shitpost". Now you know for next time.

>some knowledge about the rollout schedule
Rollout schedule? According to Wiki: General availability July 29, 2015; 4 months ago
Their strategy is to get as many on Windows 10 as possible to please shareholders and boost their stocks. That is why you got the Get Windows 10 App (gwx.exe), it's why it popped up in the corner, and it's why it's now a literal popup.
They want you on Windows 10 at all costs, because it promotes their modern ecosystem and the other reason stated above.

The upgrade process goes as follows:
You install a certain Windows Update, the one containting gwx.exe.7
It starts downloading the full extrated Windows 10 ISO in a folder located in %systemdrive%\$Windows.~BT
When you affirm your consent to upgrading, it launches setup.exe and kicks you into WinRE when it's ready.
WinRE keeps your old Windows installation and renames the folder to Windows.old and has Windows 10 install in a new Windows folder.
When it's done upgrading, the Windows.old folder autodeletes after 30 days. You will have a GUI button in Windows 10 to downgrade to your old OS.

So, to put an end to your misery, >>52065788
>Why is my computer trying to force me to upgrade to windows 10?
Because you blindly install updates without reading what they do. Uninstall kb3035583 and you're rid of the nagging.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583
>>
>>52066646
WinRE is the fucking recovery image that boots when you fail to boot 2 times or you press Shift when rebooting, windows update process do all you said about it.
>>
>>52066735
Take it from the fucking Microsoft guy himself.
https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/BRK3307

Dingus.
>>
run gwx control panel and cripple it.
Then just install all the security updates you want, carefully examine anything not claiming to be a security update, disregard all the ones mentioning telemetry, upgrading or is on a list telling you not to install it.
Then you disable the service and once a month let it run for more security patches.
>>
I'm glad. Maybe IE 8 and 9, maybe even 10 and 11 will finally die out now.
>>
>>52065878
I get notifications about it every time I start my computer, but I just turned off automatic updates and manually install only the security updates.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.