[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why people hate gtk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 108831-1.png (203 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
108831-1.png
203 KB, 1024x768
>>
Because they can't write gui proprietary programs for Windows/Mac in it as they can in Qt.
>>
Because it breaks all themes every time they update it and they make shitty decisions.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>52065872
Doesn't gtk support Windows/OS X
>>
GTK code in C is very ugly. I also don't know what kind of engineering you'd need to do to make it look less ugly in C so if you're asking me, I don't know.
>>
>>52065872
GTK3 is LGPLv3 or later. You're allowed to dynamically link to GTK3 then distribute your proprietary part as proprietary software.
>>
>>52065925
thats gnome anon
>>
Because dumbass decision making and changing EVERYTHING in new versions of their software.

Because there's no GTK3 desktop environment light enough to be a decent replacement to aging XFCE and MATE so that ancient at this point GTK2 can die in peace and not be used anymore.

The best option would probably be if we all forgot about the existence of GTK and agreed to use something like Qt, which is crossplatform and that's a big plus.

Or the other way around, forget about qt and focus on making gtk work like it's supposed to work
>>
>>52065359
No resizable thumbnails in Firefox. Apparently we have "list" thumbnails but that is hardly the same.

Just like it's 2016 and it took them this fucking long to get to thumbnails at all. I have to wonder what they are working on constantly with GTK that is so much more important than this basic fucking functionality that Windows has out of the box.

I've tried getting the firefox that uses Dolphin up and running on non KDE distros, but it just never works out properly.
>>
>>52065988
I know what you're talking about and that's the only reason why I run firefox compiled with gtk2.

But honestly, I don't really think someone who doesn't spend his free time posting smug anime girls as an argument is affected by this.

I mean how many people keep 2GB+ folders of unsorted images that they need to look for first and upload one by one all the time?
>>
>>52065975
Mate is working to port to GTK3 while also maintaining GTK2 compatibility. I wish them good luck. XFCE is also working to become GTK3 compatible.
>>
>>52065968
who you think maintains gtk?
>>
File: 1448029848597.jpg (7 KB, 240x237) Image search: [Google]
1448029848597.jpg
7 KB, 240x237
>>52065968
You for real?
>>
>>52066037
Yeah, that's fair.

Also I remember somebody said they had added the functionality to GTK2 somewhere, is that what you are referring to? I saw it in a thread a while back but didn't have the energy to capitalize on it.
>>
>>52065951

Only in theory. In practice, it's hell. Nobody maintains GTK as a multiplatform toolkit, they don't have enough people for that (and they probably just don't care). GTK truly is made by GNOME people and for their shitty DE only.
>>
>>52066367
The GTK team. The Gnome team are closely related but they are not the same team.
>>
>>52066513
you're hilarious.
>>
>>52065988
>I have to wonder what they are working on constantly with GTK

Enforcing their brand identity by removing customizability and implementing cancerous shit like CSD (client side decorations), for a starter.

Also bear in mind it's just a handful of people. They really can't accomplish much.
>>
>>52065954
One problem is that GTK is fundamentally object-oriented, implemented in a non-OO language.

Qt is much more developer friendly in that regard.
>>
I don't see the point in Qt, I can't afford the license (to develop statically linked proprietary software), so I am learning WinAPI and Cocoa instead.
>>
>>52067336
Isn't it free?
>>
>>52065359
No thumbnails in the file dialog.

Unless you consider 20x20px images thumbnails, and happen to have visited the directory beforehand with a GTK-approved file manager that generates the antnails.
>>
>>52065925

Man, that's fucking infuriating. There is only 1 decent "neutral" theme which fits everything and it's abandoned. Which means it looks like shit with the latest version.
>>
>>52067806
It's LGPL
>>
>>52065975
budgie is pretty light weight
>>
>>52066513
#btfo
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.