[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: D5AVbaA.jpg (917 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
D5AVbaA.jpg
917 KB, 3264x2448
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
This is a trolling thread.

OP
>>
>>52065257
I've never actually read what the OP says in those threads.
>>
>>52065304
then read it. it's the bible after man page
>>
>>52065314
No, it isn't.
>>
Linux noob here, so i've started using Mint a bit and i was wondering how do you display system information in the terminal like in Arch linux , i've been seeing that a lot in desktop threads , so i was wondering if Mint has the same option ?
>>
>>52066130
screenfetch
git clone https://github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch.git
>>
>>52066130
sudo apt-get install git

if it cannot find git
>>
>>52066236
ye , i just found that out , thanks a lot.
>>
>>52065233
How do I fix/replace the GTK file picker when uploading images through my browser?
>>
Hi, I need a distro on which I'll mainly do programming, I was thinking of using Ubuntu since the community is huge and I'd rather have my projects work for the most people's. I also wanted to give a try to Debian, what do you guys think?
>>
>>52066268
So far as I know you can't firefox uses GTK and therefore uses the gtk file viewer.
>>
>>52066280
Doesn't really matter, if you ever get to the point where you're worried about portability in your code you'll have to learn the GNU build system.
>>
>>52066289
I've seen webms of Arch users having a proper file picker though.
>>
File: sugga_my_dick.jpg (283 KB, 1508x976) Image search: [Google]
sugga_my_dick.jpg
283 KB, 1508x976
I asked this in another thread, but got 0 attention because flame wars about distros are better than actual discussion.
How the fuck do i get the *SERVER* cursor to show up on the *CLIENT* with x11vnc?
I broke my laptop screen and I'm trying to use a shitty Android tablet as a ghetto screen until the holidays are over. But the cursor of the laptop, although functional, (i can drag stuff) does not show up on the tablet.
Would you guys at least suggest another solution? The vnc trick is all i could think about.
>>
>>52066382
You need to patch some packages.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
Except firefox now uses gtk3.
>>
>arch linux c++ abi change
I think this is the final straw for me. People are reporting that roughly half their packages are completely broken.

Arch Linux devs are fucking psychopaths.

Any recommendations for another distro? One that isn't run by a bunch of jackasses?
>>
>>52066512

Debian Testing?
>>
Hi, I'm somewhat new to Arch. I've been using it on an old Dell Latitude where everything is more simple.

I just got an SSD and a normal 2TB HDD. I want to install Arch to the SSD and use the HDD as the home directory. What's the best way to do this? I already had a partition table set up automatically by my previous Debian install on the laptop the last time I did this.
>>
>>52066719
man useradd
>>
What's a good way to sync files across a desktop and laptop?
>>
>>52066799
bittorrent sync

otherwise, owncloud
>>
>>52066799
rsync
>>
>>52066892
cp
>>
File: rel.jpg (45 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
rel.jpg
45 KB, 525x700
>>52065233
I posted this in its own thread earlier, and now that it's died, I've only just realised that this would be a good place to post about it.

My sister got me pic related for Christmas, because "hey anon, you're into computers, right?" and I've thought up a use for it.

I want totally portable Linux.

Basically, since this fucker fits in my pocket, I want to see if this is possible. I just wanna plug it into some random computer and have it work, any tips for doing that? I'm tempted to go Arch Linux, but I'm not sure if that's what I want or if that's the exact opposite, there was some debate in the thread I posted, between Arch or Ubuntu.

Also, because this would be pretty easy to steal, I'd like to protect it as best I can, is there anything I can do beyond full disk encryption?

And fuck... I might as well ask, is the thing actually even any good? I know you can get some pretty shit hard drives, and I'm not too familiar with the brands, the thread said it was mostly ok, although they didn't seem to realise that it's USB 3.0 (and compatible with 2.0).
>>
>>52066719
Mount the HDD on /home. Read the Arch Wiki on how to do edit your fstab.
>>
>>52066892
This.Deja Dup if you want an easy gui approach.This is all made faster and easier if you can plug into a switch.
>>
Why is Unity not recommended?
It's the best DE I've used so far. GNOME is a bloated piece of crap, MATE barely works, KDE is a crime against design. I run awesome wm on my laptop but I run Unity on my desktop.
>>
>>52066403
Use synergy, its great and just werks
>>
>>52067094
We hate Unity
>>
>>52066998
I used to do this all the time when I first got into Linux.Usually,at most,you'll have to mess around with some BIOS settings.
>>
>>52067094
People dislike unity because it is heavy on cpu and is somehwat bloated, you can accomplish everything unity does without it but its not as easy to set up
>>
>>52066998
>Basically, since this fucker fits in my pocket, I want to see if this is possible. I just wanna plug it into some random computer and have it work, any tips for doing that?

The computer needs to be able to boot from USB. You need a bootable partition. Dunno what else you need to know

Arch Linux is a piece of shit. Use a 'just werks' OS instead like Ubuntu or Mint
>>
>>52066998
Why would you do anything other than full disk encryption?
>>
>>52067120
This used to be true, but the newest version is much better now. Have you tried it?
I found that a Linux noob might find it very useful and pretty sane in terms of design. I used to run MATE on my laptop and I hated how it's such a god damn eye sore, so I just switched to a pretty spiffy awesome wm setup. Still sticking with unity on my desktop with all the screen real estate I have on that box though.
>>
So I posted in the last thread about fucking up my video driver and its gone and fucked up X.

I managed to get it into recovery mode, but it did not load the WiFi driver. Is there anyway to unfuck my driver? Removed the Linux driver and kernel, but x or gnome still crash.

Also it's still relatively new, I could reinstall and try again.
>>
>>52066998
Seagate hdds have a high failure rate
>>
>>52067134
I'd like as much encryption as I can get, as any /fucko/ thread will tell you, there's ways to get around full disk encryption.
>>
>>52067115
How did you do it?

>>52067152
>Seagate hdds have a high failure rate
What causes it? Is there anything I should avoid doing with them? Or do they just break?
>>
>>52067142
When i first used linux i immediately switched to gnome classic but now im running arch with awesome wm and have never looked back
>>
>>52067172
You plug it into a computer and install a distro, but select the external HDD as the location for the OS & bootloader.
>>
>>52067094
>GNOME is a bloated piece of crap,
What kind of anemic hardware do you have to be using for this to be an issue? I've never had problems with any DE or WM in regards to performance outside of VM's that I didn't configure properly.
>>
>>52067097
I actually tried that. But the vnc client does not recognize it as a mouse. I even plugged in the mouse directly in the tablet and still no luck. With this setup i would have to drag across the screen (think touch interface but with a mouse instead) to move the vitrual mouse on the server, which is retarded. I just want to see the actual cursor on the server.
Does anybody know at least some way of drawing something over the cursor with X or whatnot? Like you see in screencasts and stuff. Would that work?
>>
>>52067159
no, you can't get around proper FDE. unless you somehow fuck up (use weak key, use broken algorithm, ...), cracking the encryption won't be realistically possible.

>>52067152
no they don't
>>
>>52067159
You could have nested encrypted partitions, look up plausibly deniable encyrption, full disk enccyption can only be broken with brute force or cold boot attacks, if your hdd isnt plugged into a pc and decrypted, cold boot attacks arent an option
>>
>>52067232
High compared go other common brands
>>
>>52067200
I dipped my feet in maybe 5 or so years ago. Used GNOME 2 back in Ubuntu 8.04 or something like that. Stayed off Linux for a year and I think I used awesome wm daily after that. Used all sorts of DEs along the way but they never fit the bill for me. I gave Unity a shot on my desktop and it's pretty darn good today.

>>52067225
Memepads struggle to run GNOME, and it doesn't have very good design put into the DE. I hate this touch optimized garbage.
>>
I use a rMBP and 2 external monitors as my collage (computer science)

i don't what to completely get rid of osx, would running a vm give me any real benefits over osx? or would it just slow everything down

osx seems to do everything i need it to do
>>
>>52067172
>How did you do it?
Just install the OS to the hard drive. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>52067265
Why bother? Both are *nix based and can do the same things.
>>
>>52067265
I have a rMBP and I just start using OS X. It's decent enough for the things I do. Get used to the OS X command line and it's gonna be pretty decent. Still prefer Linux though, but my Macbook plays horribly with Linux for some godforsaken reason.
>>
>>52067294
That exactly what i always say,
but everybody on /g/ loves linux so there must have some reason to use it over osx
>>
>>52067275
This is bad advice. Ubuntu and bunch of other distros have retarded installers that fuck up the boot loader on your main disk, but that only applies to BIOS and not EFI.
>>
>>52067306
>everybody on /g/ loves linux
How are you missing all the Linux-hate?
>>
>>52067264
>I hate this touch optimized garbage.
>I gave Unity a shot on my desktop and it's pretty darn good today.
Uhmmm....I don't know how to break this to you but...
>>
>>52067306
Worst thing is how shitty the package managers are in OS X.
Linux style programs are hard to get set up in OS X. Developing on OS X is different.
No tiling window manager which is pretty bad for me.
>>
I have an issue in Xubuntu where there is an alert regarding icon caching. elementary xfce-darkest and numix-light give an error saying there is icon cache, create manually.

When I do that, it says no directory found. Is it something I can ignore or a fix is available?
>>
>>52067306
I became a macfag as of yesterday and can say it's not very different. Linux and OS X are used for different things.

OS X has a pretty awful scheduler that is good with video playback and window management but not compute, whereas Linux prioritizes tasks like compiling or rendering. Linux is easily deployable and can run on anything, whereas OS X is optimized for the hardware Apple sells and has the best trackpad support out there.
>>
tried mint/ubuntu 14.04
GA-Z170x Mobo with Realtek ALC1150
no distro even detects the soundcard, only USB headphones work.
>>
>>52067323
Unity doesn't make compromises to be "touch optimized". And besides, having a top text menu bar for a "touch optimized" DE is downright laughable.
aka unlike gnome 3 everything is a reasonable size and obeys standard design rules
>>
>>52067329
>developing on OS X is different
Only if you want it to be. You can always default to the horrendous autoconf/gmake build system Linux uses.
>>
>>52067094
>>52067142
>>52067264
>>52067355
Nice try, Shuttleworth.
>>
>>52067371
>horrendous
s/horrendous/glorious
>>
>>52067309
If it is a concern, I guess you could unplug the main drive before installing. I've never had an issue with that outside of an attempt to dual boot with Wangdows though.
>>
>>52067264
>Memepads struggle to run GNOME
I have an X200 and it is running GNOME right now. No issues.
>>
>>52067371
The C stdlib APIs being different really got me. Stopped programming in C and got into Rust though, so that took care of itself. So far so good. Though my trackpad started fucking up so I'm kinda bummed out.

>>52067380
I mean give it a shot, but to say two things about Unity that I motherfucking hate:
- default font and gtk theme is an absolute eyecancer. the ubuntu font makes me wanna die. change ubuntu to something nicer and more traditional and the monospace to something like Monaco and it's all good. Switch out the original gtk theme to something like numix and it's all OK.
- workspaces are fucking retarded. when you have dual monitors and you try to use workspaces, you'll see what i mean.

>>52067412
i'll give it another shot then. so far i wasn't impressed at the design direction. i'm not a uiux nigger but i care a lot about my experience working with my desktep
>>
>>52067355
Unity can become top tier like xfce if they remove the side bar and place windows in the global menu. Either that or settle for a dock but it is cancerous to have 2 panels which eat up real estate and are plain ugly.

Unity has serious issues with becoming laggy over time and Compiz is a joke compared to Compton which by the way allowed me to alt+tab out of games like league of legends without crashing my system.

Compiz can't into alt+tab for Wine full screen applications. The worst part about unity is the lack of customization where you can't change the mouse cursor, move the open/close buttons to the right and properly cache icons.

I suffered enormously with Unity with only Numix theme and icons at my disposal. Fucking joke.
>>
>>52067232
>no, you can't get around proper FDE
>>52067238
>full disk enccyption can only be broken with brute force or cold boot attacks
There are some ways, although they're not too practical unless I'm tricked into using a sabotaged machine, which isn't really an issue since I'm only concerned about theft. Anyway:
http://pastebin.com/tUvq8Jzj
>For software-based disk-encryption there are these known attacks:
>DMA-Attacks (DMA/HDMI-Ports are used to connect to a running, locked machine to unlock it)
>Cold-Boot-Attacks (Keys are extracted from RAM after a cold reboot)
>Freezing of RAM (RAM is frozen and inserted into the attacker's machine to extratct the key)
>Evil-Maid-Attacks (Different methods to boot up a trojanized OS or some kind of software-keylogger)

>For hardware-based disk-encryption there are similar attacks:
>DMA-Attacks (same as with SW-based encryption)
>Replug-Attacks (Drive's data cable is disconnected and connected to attacker's machine via SATA-hotplugging)
>Reboot-Attacks (Drive's data cable is disconnected and connected to attacker's machine after enforced reboot. Then the bios-password is circumvented through the repeated pressing of the F2- and enter-key. After the bios integrated SED-password has been disabled the data-cable is plugged into the attacker's machine. This only works on some machines.)
>Networked-Evil-Maid-Attacks (Attacker steals the actual SED and replaces it with another containing a tojanized OS. On bootup victim enters it's password which is subsequently send to the attacker via network/local attacker hot-spot. Different method: Replacing a laptop with a similar model [at e.g. airport/hotel etc.] and the attacker's phone# printed on the bottom of the machine. Victim boots up enters "wrong" password which is send to the attacker via network. Victim discovers that his laptop has been misplaced, calls attacker who now copies the content and gives the "misplaced" laptop back to the owner.)
>>
How do I keep track of shit i've installed on my gentoo box?
>>
>>52067431
>i'll give it another shot then.
If you take the time to learn the shortcuts Gnome has built in, it can be a pretty efficient DE. I'd kill myself if I had to rely on point and click though.I learned to use Gnome in a similar fashion as you would use i3. I will caution that Gnome is unfriendly to ricers however.
>>
>>52067534
don't know. in Ubuntu I don't even need synaptic anymore, just software center can show me all the software and packages installed and I can remove them easily via GUI just like Windows control panel.

Gentoo is not meant for mainstream desktop use.
>>
>>52067549
>Gnome is unfriendly to ricers however
that's a pretty nasty nono, but i don't know the extent of that statement so we'll see. i say that because unity is pretty unfriendly afaik but i still liked it.

>>52067514
to each to their own, i guess. i personally really dig the side panels and i have enough screen to compensate for that. i could totally see how it could be annoying on a small screen though.
never had a problem with the slowdown over time.
>>
Are the black cock threads still up? I don't wanna look.
>>
>>52067588
>to each to their own
each to their own
>>
>>52067588
They need to unlock unity with its complex interwoven components. Imagine removing the global menu or the mail client and you will brick the distro immediately. That is fucked up for newbies who don't know what they are doing.
>>
>>52067431
Yeah that's really bothersome. I wish they could have just used BSD's libc.
>>
>>52067635
thanks fag

>>52067649
they did though, did they not
and linux's libc is actually an extension of the original so if you used linux libc you'll be missing the (nonstandard) functionality
for instance the optional stuff in getopt
>>
>>52067318
Those are just /v/ users and normalfags who need to fuck off.
>>
>>52067521
>http://pastebin.com/tUvq8Jzj
Actually, what does /flt/ think of this anyway? Is it up to date?
>>
>>52067521
all of these attacks rely on the FDE not being properly used. if you just leave your device running with the encrypted disk mounted, of course there are ways to access it. if you enter your key while a keylogger is running, of course someone can use that to decrypt the drive.

there are no known offline attacks against state-of-the-art FDE. that's what matters.
>>
hi
>>
>>52067934
Emm, hello?
>>
>>52068234
what's up
>>
>>52068270
my server
>>
>>52068282
are you sure? does your server run windows azure server framework?
>>
>>52068296

Just got a Raspberry Pi and I'm having my first experiments with headless Linux.

What text editors are good to use through SSH? Or is it easier to do coding here and then transfer and run it from there?
>>
>>52068348

Quote not intended
>>
>>52068348
vim is fine. you can also mount your remote server's filesystem locally using sshfs, if you want to use your local machine's editor.
>>
>>52068348
nano, vim and emacs.
>>
>>52068348
code locally and send the files over. use nano for small changes, editing configs etc.
>>
>>52068348
>>52068387

>code locally and send the files over.
Best way to do this would to use something like rsync.

You can go one step further and mount a directory on your local computer using SSHFS.
>>
Do i mount my windwos EFI partition to /mnt/boot ?
>>
Why are permissions such a nightmare?

Web/FTP/Samba Server and I constantly lose permissions on my own files.
When I copy something via samba the web application can't read the file.

What groups/users/permissions do I need so I can access/create/copy/move files in the webserver-direcotry via SAMBA or FTP and the web applications still can server/read the files?

At the moment I copy everything with root over SCP because it just won't work otherwise...
>>
Are these commands correct for simply installing grub when trying to dualboot?

# grub-install --recheck --target=i386-pc /dev/sdx # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>>52068943
Goddamnit, i fucked up.

# grub-install --recheck --target=i386-pc /mnt/boot
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Is what i was talking about
>>
Aight aight, I fell for the meme and hardware (mostly peripherals) incompatibilities are way too fucking much.
How the damn hell do I actually delete GRUB or get Windows to load before it?

Had a dual-booted machine and deleted my Linux partition then both used boot repair and the fixmbr command (this one on Windows) and nothing will fucking get rid of GRUB, I have to input exit every single time I'm on it to actually load Windows.
>>
>>52069002
sounds like an entry was added to UEFI menu.
when your computer posts at startup enter setup and you should be able to remove the entry
unless its a shitsung, then its permanent
>>
File: OTP.jpg (65 KB, 736x598) Image search: [Google]
OTP.jpg
65 KB, 736x598
Gonna try mint next week, dualbooted with Win 7. How much should I reserve in the disk to be the Linux's system partition?

Also I've heard Linux can't read Window's filesystem and vice versa, is it true?
>>
>>52069221
How much space do you have left after the Win install?
>>
>>52069253
It's an almost fresh install so win itself only took 30gb of my 120gb ssd. I have clean 1tb hdd too though.
>>
>>52069174
Well, it's a Surface Pro 3 but I don't see the option when I boot into UEFI.
>>
>>52068740
set up a group. that group owns all the relevant directories. the users running your web, ftp, samba etc. servers are also in that group.
>>
Am I a regard for using bunsenlabs linux, not even b8
>>
>>52069461
yes
>>
>>52069461
>regard
Fuck autocorrect
>>
>>52069296
Youll have to think about how big Win is gonna get in the future, then partition your ssd and take the rest for linux
>>
> thread about free operating system
> 24 lines of patriarchy

nigger fuck your shit
>>
>>52069551
Yeah, but how big does linux get?
>>
I got a raspberry pi for Christmas and was hoping you guys could help me out with something.

I have been trying to use 2 logitech devices to one universal receiver on my pi. unfortunately, logitech doesn't make software for linux so I found a 3rd party software called solaar.

In the steps to install it says to create solaar.list and to move it to /ect/atp/sources.list.d. After dragging and dropping failed because of 'Permission denied' I tried command line and that too failed me in pic related.

TL;DR:
Why wont this fucking file move?
>>
>>52069659
try the terminal again, but spell /etc/ correctly.
>>
>>52069659
However big you want it to be :^)
Hell, you can probably make a 10gb install.
>>
>>52069718
god fucking damn I'm retarded... Thanks anon
>>
File: IMG_20151226_211357.jpg (306 KB, 959x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151226_211357.jpg
306 KB, 959x720
Do I HAVE to force my grub-install when trying to dualboot windows? This is what happens when i try to install it to my boot DIRECTORY on my root PARTITION.
>>
>>52069785
don't do this. specify /dev/sda not /dev/sda1
>>
>>52069599
depends on the distro, DE, programs you install etc.
10gb is more than enough for a minimal-ish distro with a DE and a couple of programs.

>>52069221
>Also I've heard Linux can't read Window's filesystem and vice versa, is it true?
reading and writing is possible both ways if you use the right programs.
>>
>>52069859
Depending on if I add --target=i386-pc or not, it tells me "will mot proceed with blocklist" or "cannot find EFI directory"
>>
>>52069859
>>52069921
Asking differently does /boot need its own partition when dualbooting?
>>
Lately firefox seems to be using more resources than usual, making navigating /g/ a painful experience.

Any advice?
>>
>>52070173
midori :^)))))(()()))))))0000000000)))))))))
>>
How do I disable Turbo Boost in Mint? These X220 load temps are killing me.
>>
File: C.H.I.P-Pocket.jpg (31 KB, 335x421) Image search: [Google]
C.H.I.P-Pocket.jpg
31 KB, 335x421
I saw that kali has a release for raspberrypi, but I was wondering if any of you know if it will work for pic related? I want to use it for a learning toy
>>
>>52070224
>:^)))))(()()))))))0000000000)))))))))
Are you okay anon? Should I call an ambulance?
>>
debian vs xubuntu...

I'm a new linux user wanting to install it on my X230 thinkpad for basic use. Some tiny gaming here and there.. I'm not afraid of learning how to use linux. I've stumbled through Debian before but I did have problems getting some games to work.

Should I use Xubuntu or Debian and why?
>>
>>52070261
xubuntu comes compatible with more proprietary stuff, it would be less of a headache for a new user...
>>
>>52070261
Xubuntu for sure, or Lubuntu to save as much memory as possible for gaymen/programs.

Alternatively, Korora for Fedora-based or GeckoLinux for openSUSE-based. All of the above just werk.
>>
>>52070261
xubuntu, debian is less nonfree friendly, and you need nonfree to run games
>>
>>52065233
NSA/Windows
My sides.
>>
>>52070348
Adding reasons why:
Ubuntu because the Software Center is the easiest GUI for installing programs in all of Linux.

Korora for Fedora's bleeding edge packages with media codecs and non-free repositories added.

GeckoLinux for openSUSE's stable release, YaST is useful for system settings and you can install programs from the openSUSE website. Tumbleweed for bleeding edge
>>
>>52070348
>>52070290
>>52070357
thank you

So basically Xubuntu because it's easier? If I bothered to learn Debian, would I end up with any extra features or system resources?
>>
>>52070679
nope, the buntus are pretty much just debian with drivers and pre-enabled nonfree drivesr/codecs etc...
>>
>>52070679
debian isn't harder to learn. they're actually very similar, because *buntu is based on debian.

*buntu is easier because it comes with more useful things pre-installed, set up and ready to go. debian is more minimalistic, even if you install it with a desktop environment.
>>
>>52070732
>>52070759
but does buntu come with Amazon stuff installed behind the scenes?
>>
>>52070871
ubuntu does, xubuntu doesn't
>>
File: 1442681038544.jpg (195 KB, 1069x1462) Image search: [Google]
1442681038544.jpg
195 KB, 1069x1462
>>52065233

How is elementary OS?
>>
>>52070902
admitidly it's been awhile but last time I checked, buggy and nothing remarkable
>>
>>52070871
That's only in main version of Ubuntu with the Unity DE, and you can turn it off in system settings. Next version of Ubuntu it will be opt-in only. Most people on /g/ are more likely to install a flavor of Ubuntu like Xubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME than the main flavor.
>>
>>52070902
Freya works well, Pantheon DE is beautiful and fast with great features for managing multiple desktops/windows. No bloat either. My main issue is that the packages are really outdated, being based on Ubuntu 14.04 (April of 2014 vs current version 15.10 October 2015)
>>
File: 1450733188690.png (12 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
1450733188690.png
12 KB, 320x200
>>52068411
>>52068387
>>52068385
>>52068384

Perfect, thanks!
>>
-last question: will I learn more if I install debian over xubuntu?
>>
>>52071028
maybe but only because you'd have to learn in order to do certain things, and having it forced upon you like that, you probably won't appreciate the knowledge
>>
>>52070950
why does anyone ever choose debian then? Seems like xubuntu is superior in every way
>>
What's the best distro for cute little anime girls?
>>
>>52071051
because autism and muh minimalism
>>
>>52071062
moebuntuu
>>
>>52071062
kyuubuntu
>>
>>52071070
admittedly I am pretty OCD about minimalism and saving space/resources, but I feel that if I went debian, it's more likely I'll fuck things up than make things more minimal.

Is that a correct assessment? Also if I ever get a job in IT or CGI or whatever, will time in Debian help me at all?

Thanks for all the helpful responses.
>>
>>52071085
>>52071126
What about Ubunchu~?
>>
My (grandmother) has a shit computer and is too poor to upgrade, What would be the best lightweight distro for a /only/ playing stupid fucking facebook games?
Literally, all it needs to do is have a browser and flash.
>>
>>52071128
I doubt you would fuck shit up, but I get the feeling that you'd just be copy/pasting commands into the terminal to do shit, which there is nothing wrong with but it's no bueno if you're trying to learn

>>52071149
have you considered helpin her out man? for like a hundred bucks you can get a pretty decnt upgrade kit, and just reuse the case/psu/drives. just something to think about
>>
>>52071028
you might be forced to learn more, but it won't make a huge difference either way.
>>
>>52071149
How does it manage to be shit enough to not support stupid flash games?
>>
Is Arch Linux really the fastest (or one of) distro? If its is, how much? Im basing this question on what i found online, could be a meme for all i know.
>>
>>52071051
one reason is servers. debian is a widely used and well tested distro, known for being rock solid on servers.
for desktops, it provides a cleaner, more minimalistic base system than something like xubuntu. basically if you're willing to put more work into it, it's easier to tune the system to your specific liking if you use debian.
>>
>>52071251
There is no fastest distro
>>
>>52071250
It does support them but some retard installed windows 8 when it originally ran XP.
>>
>>52071301
>implying win8 isn't faster on the same hardware than xp
>further implying it's a good idea to let grams use an os that no longer gets security patches
>>
File: Delayclose.jpg (102 KB, 1140x741) Image search: [Google]
Delayclose.jpg
102 KB, 1140x741
>>52071391
>implying win8 isn't faster on the same hardware than xp
It is slower and bloated as fuck, I used this computer and remember how fast it was.
>further implying it's a good idea to let grams use an os that no longer gets security patches
Why do you think I want to install linux on it?
>>
tint2 doesn't seem to save whenever I edit the config files, stuff disappears on me and never comes back even though nothing in the config files has change
>>
I think I need help with my Arch setup

I installed Windope for dualboot (or rather I still have it on the disk)
I downloaded and booted the Arch iso from USB
I set up my keyboard layout, Inet connection and System Clock
I partitioned my SSD (/home, /media, swap and root)
I mounted my partitions to the fitting directories
I activated the swap partition

Now how the flying fuck do I install grub so I can dualboot? I tried different commands, and it either couldn't find /boot, or it wouldn't let me install because of some blocklists.
>>
>>52071468
because you're an autist, you remember it being faster because at the time you originally used it, it was fast for the time, but as computers got faster and more powerful, you're view became distorted so you take what you remember as being fast and compare it to todays fast and then wonder what happened
>>
File: 1447216383835.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1447216383835.png
1 MB, 1366x768
what OS is this?
>>
>>52071944
some flavor of linux with gnome
>>
>>52071944
that's a comfy wallpaper
>>
>>52071944
Mac, obviously
>>
>>52070236
what is that?
>>
>>52072017
not unless you can run gnome on a mac
the little coffee cup icon at the top is for a gnome extension called caffeine, it's basically a one click solution to turning screensaver/sleep off
>>
>>52071944
lovely wallpaper and icons
>>
>>52072071
No dude it's the Dwarf window manager for El Capitan. Stop feeding lies to this poor guy
>>
>>52072088
whatevs bruh
>>
>>52071981
yes I love the wall
>>
Hey /g/, please can you help me with choosing a linux distro for my needs? I have experience with Linux, but now i want something easy and fast to install and configure for my notebook (got nvidia optimus :/)
>>
>>52071849
--help pls
>>
>>52071944
elementary?
>>
>>52072145
did you read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows ?
>>
I don't really know if this is the place to ask, but since i'm using Lubuntu at the moment i wager it could be.

Long story short: the newer version of FF (43) is a bit retarded:
1) Whenever i want to watch a video on youtube the HTML5 player first "crash", then reloads the page and switch to the Flash player. This is solved by setting media.fragmented-mp4.gmp.enabled to FALSE
2) Doing so though causes WebMs to shit the bed since it either can't "find a video with supported format or MIME" or that "the file is corrupted" (happens on 4chan for example)
3)FF also doesn't seem to like Bandcamp since it won't play the tracks on the site

Is there a fix for this other that going back to windows?
>>
>>52071849
Assuming you're installing under UEFI and your SSD is partitioned under GPT, did you make a ~150MB ESP boot partition for Linux?
>>
>>52072178
>>52072238
No I didn't, because I'm sure I read somewhere on the Archlinux wiki that the boot partition for Windows was enough (I misread that, didn't I).
>>
>>52072273
No wait, I know how it was:
I asked how many partitions I should make, and people kept telling me I can have only one partition if I wanted to. So combining my "knowledge" of /flt/ and the wiki I assumed it'd be okay to just make a root, home, media and swap partition.
>>
>>52072273
I used to get really frustrated when setting up a dual boot on UEFI, but it's ultimately fairly simple.

1. Make sure the disk(s) that you have bootable operating systems use GPT partitioning and not MSDOS partitioning (can be checked with gparted or Windows's partitioning tool I think)
2. Make sure every bootable operating system has an esp boot partition (Windows should have this if you installed it on a GPT disk)
3. Set Arch's /boot mountpoint on its esp partition

Then both Windows and Linux should appear on your BIOS's boot menu. If your mobo supports old BIOS booting as well as UEFI booting, it's recommended to disable BIOS booting altogether. Now you can boot to either OS from the boot menu or run grub-mkconfig under Linux to have Windows appear on grub's boot menu (requires os-prober to be installed)
>>
>>52072411
1. done
2. will do
3.will do
When do I install grub to the boot partition/directory? Is it important to install it before mounting, or is there no difference?
>>
>>52072448
I used Architect installer so I had all of this done almost automatically, but I'm pretty sure it's a good idea to mount the partition before installing anything on it.
>>
>>52072411
So you're saying that there should be separate ESPs for each OS? Because I've read some advice that suggested that if you have an ESP for Windows already, you should install grub onto it rather than make another.
>>
>>52072510
Do you happen to know what filesystem the esp has to be?
>>
>>52072597
To me that sounds like a good way to fuck up your Windows installation, but I'm no expert. It works just fine for me with 2 separate esp partitions. If it doesn't work for you, hey, no harm done, you can just try again using Windows's esp.

>>52072605
vfat or fat32, I'm not sure, Arch wiki should tell you.
>>
File: 1450887708588.gif (231 KB, 250x144) Image search: [Google]
1450887708588.gif
231 KB, 250x144
>>52072062
it says on it...
>>
File: IMG_20151227_003529.jpg (310 KB, 959x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_003529.jpg
310 KB, 959x720
>>52072644
It's a good thing both are the same to my knowledge.

Does anyone know how to fix the terminal showing hieroglyphs when typing after trying to cat random files?
>>
>>52072838

reset. tap control-c to make sure theres no junk on the line before you type it.
>>
>>52072838

stop trying to cat .cert files
>>
>>52072838
>after trying to cat random files?
Maybe don't do that?
>>
>>52072871
Hory shet, i love you

>>52072878
>>52072887
I was checking if locale.conf and vconsole.conf were still set after the reboot, and then i tried to do the same for /usr/share/zoneinfo/myzone/sub /etc/localtime
Didnt work.
>>
>>52072953

lol. Ive done it a few times myself. looking at what i think is a script but it turns out its a binary.

file helps if you dont know what the file is.
>>
>>52066512
xubuntu
>>
>>52072838

When you cat /dev/random or accidentally see some weird formatting and any kind of fucking weird behaviour happens on any terminal just type Ctrl C to cancel any possible input, type "reset" no matter how fucked up it looks and hit enter
>>
Alright, i have two efi systems on my drive now, but it still complains about finding none when i enter
Grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
>>
>>52073172
Do you have os-prober installed?
>>
File: IMG_20151227_010154.jpg (399 KB, 959x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_010154.jpg
399 KB, 959x720
>>52073218
I do
>>
>>52073277
Try running grub-mkconfig
>>
File: IMG_20151227_010814.jpg (250 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_010814.jpg
250 KB, 540x720
>>52073309
Well, a whole lot of text with the known errors >>52073277 among is on the terminal now.
>>
>>52073381
Well, like I said, I used Architect so I probably can't help you with that. You probably forgot some step along the way.
>>
Best distro for aspire one 722 with 1GHz APU and 4GB o' RAM?

Read the web and thinking between lubuntu, lxle and puppy

i need it mostly for code review, web and odd document editing

I'm on win7 right now and tearing my eyes out
>>
File: 1451007759271.gif (3 MB, 480x269) Image search: [Google]
1451007759271.gif
3 MB, 480x269
>>52073463
Yeah, cant help but feel the same. I'm gonna try it again from the start tomorrow, but i really gotta go to sleep now.
Baibai, have a nice Arch.

>tfw no sauce
>>
>>52073581
I would love to know the sauce as well
>>
I installed i3-blocks and started writing my own blocks for it.
It works fine, but everytime i click on a field, wich triggers an action, the color changes.
Someone may know what could cause this probleme? here is my code
[mpc]
label=current:
command=/home/max/.current
interval=once
signal=12

[vol]
label=vol:
command=/home/max/.volchange
interval=once
signal=12
markup=pango

[updates]
label=updates:
command=checkupdates | wc -l
interval=100

[ip]
command=/home/max/.ipupdown
interval=30

[time]
command=date '+%a, %e.%B - %H:%M:%S'
interval=1
>>
>>52073811
And, for example, the .volchange file
>_cat .volchange 
#!/bin/bash

volume=$(amixer get Master | grep Mono: | cut -d " " -f 6)
echo $volume
case $BLOCK_BUTTON in
2) amixer sset Master toggle ;;
4) amixer sset Master 2%+ ;;
5) amixer sset Master 2%- ;;
esac

Its occouring in every script that has some kind of action in it
>>
xubuntu or debian, which is more lightweight for older systems and by how much? Will it make a difference on more modern systems?
>>
What happens when I run chkdsk on an external HD with an ntfs and an ext4 partition? I want to back up my linux user files but if I put them on an ntfs partition on linux and run chkdsk with windows it deletes all the files with colons in the filenames.
>>
>>52074170
So Xubuntu vs Debian XFCE?
I'd wager not that big of a difference, assuming defaults, but Debian will look like shit and Xubuntu decent and most likely Debian will consume fever resources.
Debian uses the vanilla XFCE by default, Xubuntu is a themed XFCE distro.
You can ofc customize Debian to look similar to Xubuntu if you so wish.
>>
I'd like to switch distros on a Windows/Debian dualbooting drive (just wanted to mess around with a different one), without touching the Windows partition - best way to do this? Will I have to remake grub from scratch?
>>
>>52070233
please respond before i get housefired
>>
Installed Ubunuon my laptop and holy fuck my home screen and web browsing is all zoomed out. I can barely read what I type into the search bar. How do I zoom in? Tried everything
>>
>>52074730
Ubuntu*
>>
>>52074730
Sounds like you need to adjust your DPI

I don't know how to do that on Ubuntu but I'm sure someone here does.
>>
>>52073381
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
Was installing FreeBSD a mistake? Should I go back to Linux?
>>
How can I drag and drop to save stuff in Firefox?
>>
>>52075578
addons possibly or not at all
>>52075521
if it does what you need then use it, if not then obviously it was a mistake.
>>
Do I need to know LUA if I want to customize the awesome WM?
>>
>>52075578
drag and drop what exactly? Images?
Can't you just right click and save as?
>>
>>52075578
What do you mean drag and drop stuff INTO firefox?
Like drag and drop into the firefox directory?
>>
>>52075661
Lua isn't an acronym.
>>
>>52071981
Search for simon stålenhag, there is more.
>>
>>52072213
Install gstreamer and ffmpeg, try again.
>>
>>52075670
>>52075666
Drag on drop images from Firefox to a file manager to save them.
>>
>>52074623
Install a new distro over debian. (Keep /home though) or do a triple boot and share /home
>>
>>52075820
Just tested it, works on Ubuntu MATE and in Windows.
>>
Okay so I did a fresh install of Fedora 23 on my T60 with 3 gb of RAM and it just randomly freezes..I did the install via USB. What should I do? I tired to switch to puppy but it wouldnt install. Pls halp. What do?
>>
File: eyethk.png (93 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
eyethk.png
93 KB, 1920x1080
So I'm running Ubuntu MATE 15.10 in a VM to test things out and Marco which the MATE compositor keeps crashing randomly. It's never a fatal crash and I appear to be able to carry on with the session unimpeded but I have no idea why these random crashes are happening.

I don't appear to be doing the same thing each time the error occurs either, seemingly random.
>>
Trying to set up ubuntu on an old macbook air. Getting wifi to work is specifically the issue. Broadcom wifi adapter is a total nightmare. Seems like there are a billion forum posts on this but none of them have worked for me. Any recommendations?
>>
any way to make systemd sshfs into my main comp? at startup? (arch)
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-12-26_22-28-39.png (62 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-12-26_22-28-39.png
62 KB, 1366x768
Oh dear god how do I make the fonts better. I installed the infinality-bundle, do I edit the i3.conf to the fonts included in the bundle?
>>
>>52076112
It is a fucking bitmap font, change the terminal font instead.
>>
>>52076112
~/.Xresources
*font:   xft:fontname:size=12:antialias=true:

~/.xinitrc
xrdb -merge .Xresources
>>
>>52075661
Not really, but it depends how much you want to do. There are enough configs around that you can copy and paste things but you can learn enough about lua just from looking at the default config to do basic adjustments. Most external modules/libraries/whatever-they-are-called have examples you can customize easily enough.
>>
>>52076112
Don't install infinality if you have no idea what it is doing or changing. The whole idea of arch is about learning about and customizing your system, not installing bloat because you can't be bothered to do any research.
>>
>>52076507
I figured it out, thanks :^)
>>
>>52066280
I've found Ubuntu to be sort of noisy and a general pain in the ass. I prefer Debian.

I would rather have a fairly minimal UI so if you like... I don't know, animations or something, Ubuntu might be better.
>>
File: 1450382784198 penguins linus-.png (3 MB, 1188x670) Image search: [Google]
1450382784198 penguins linus-.png
3 MB, 1188x670
>>52065233
Anyone use phoronix test suite?

I am trying to get the web gui running, but when I try to start it it get

NOTICE] socket_create_listen(): unable to bind to given address [98]: Address already in use in pts_web_socket:40

How do I do this?

I am tired.
>>
I made a NAS out with the help of samba using a raspberry pi.

I am able to see the folder on other computers on my home network and on my pi but whenever I try to put files into the folder I get denied.

I'm assuming that I just need to give whatever user logs in superuser permissions. How would I do that?

(test.txt is in the folder by me using sudo in the terminal)
>>
>used Linux for the first time not too long ago (2, 3 years), my first distro being Ubuntu
>tried several other DEs
>hopped to several other distros (Fedora > Mint > Fedora again > Debian > Arch)
>comes back to Ubuntu (GNOME) LTS, hoping I could stick with it

Anyone else like me? I'm still just a casual user, with Linux on travel laptop, but still using Windows on desktop.
>>
>>52077050
what is bothering you about them?
>>
So I was installing Arch manually to a laptop using an internal SD card for the hard drive. Things actually went fairly well except for installing GRUB. I had no luck. Moved on since I know you can repair GRUB from a live session.

What do now?
>>
Just installed Fedora.

What are my go to replacements for preinstalled software, if any?
>>
>>52077445
repair grub from a live session
duh
or start over from scratch
>>
>>52077621
arch to replace fedora
>>
>>52077391

Dunno, every distro has some little things that bother me, and Ubuntu's the one whose little problems are smaller for me.

It's not my primary machine anyway, but I'm happy with it.
>>
I really don't understand why people distro-hop.

Do they think their DE is part of the distro, and to try out a new DE they have to change distros? Install an entire fucking OS just to try out a DE?
Do they not know that you can install and switch DE's in a much simpler manner?
Or is it the package managers? I can understand going Ubuntu <-> Arch for that reason I guess.

I have two machines running loonix, one on Xubuntu, that was my first distro trying out, still running, and another on Arch. They're identical in every way, and it takes half a second to set up another machine to be identical.
People don't distro-hop because of anything that has to do with the UI, right?
>>
>>52077719
>People don't distro-hop because of anything that has to do with the UI, right?
I might do this when testing them out in VMs because it takes less time for the torrent to finish downloading and to install it rather than bothering to install the new DE.

Also because not all distro's ship with the stock DE like Debian does with xfce, most DEs are somewhat themed.

Of course if I had a perfectly setup system in place and I want to change DEs obviously I won't distro hop. Usually if I do its because of package management or something to do with the state of repos or kernel availability.
>>
>>52077719
Package manager.
>>
im going to start trying linux and im going to install openSUSE, if i do get used to it is it easily customizable and rice-able?
>>
it's too much work to set up a nice looking linux that just works.... is it possible for someone to just upload their linux blueprint so I have a better starting point? if it's done already could someone link this?
>>
>>52069659
Just for future reference, If you pair the two devices in the unifying software they'll stay paired. So you could pair them in windows and then use them with the pi.
>>
Will Xfce's built in compositor ever be truly fixed? I mean it's kind of embarrassing that the first thing I have to do is setup compton

They should just drop the built in one and ship compton with it
>>
What is the latest google fonts /g/?
I see droid and roboto but which is better or more recent? Are there any new ones?
>>
installed fedora a few days ago and holy shit these repos.
all these codecs, software and bloat to choose from. its beautiful..

no idea where to start though.
>>
>>52078858
NOTO
O
T
O
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.