[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why you're not using Slackware, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: slackware-logo.png (15 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
slackware-logo.png
15 KB, 128x128
Why you're not using Slackware, /g/?
>>
Slackware is the true patrician linux distribution. BSD style package management. Linux hardware support.
>>
>>52064934
why the fuck should I use Slackware?
>>
>>52064970
because you care about getting work done in a comfortable usable environment rather then installing linux as a meme and bragging about how 1337 arch is.
>>
>>52064982
literally any other distro provides me with roughly the same experience
>>
>>52064982
How does Slackware achieve this comfortable usable environment in a way that other distributions fail to?
>>
>>52064934
I'm not a slacker.
>>
>>52064957
>BSD style package management.

You've clearly never used BSD.
>>
>>52064996
Base installation includes all packages at install. So you don't have to install anything. If you do install/update things you'll likely be doing so from source. Which is nice since then you'll only update things you use, and become more familiar with that tool and its features.
>>
>>52064934
Can I install it with a gentoo or arch install cd?
>>
>>52064996
The only supported install is a full one bloated to shit to make up for the fact that it has no dependency management.

They claim it's for simplicity but it's not, it inability to make good tooling so instead waste massive amounts of time accomplishing what is simple task elsewhere to feel smart.
>>
File: 0002.gif (18 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0002.gif
18 KB, 128x128
I love Slackware. yay!
>>
>>52065021
So, as I read it, it has a higher learning curve than Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora or the other easy to use distributions?
I do not see how this results in a comfortable usable environment to get work done, but I do see how this results in you becoming more familiar with the tools you're using and its features.
>>
>>52064934
Because I like compiling gentoo
>>
>>52065062
That's the cycle really. Learn tools get more comfortable. Eventually you can distro hop without an issue. But slacking is a great way to force yourself to learn a lot about the CLI environment.
>>
Because I have a job.
>>
>>52064934
Because I'm not 83
>>
Can you update the whole system in slackware? My ignorance of it leads me to think it's an install-once-and-it's-ok-for-a-few-years kind of distro.
>>
Slack is a shit.
>>
>>52065917
(optional)
slackpkg update gpg

slackpkg update

slackpkg upgrade-all

>>52065046
"muh bloat"

Retard, 'minimal installs' are a meme and cause more problems than they're worth. Its better to have everything available off the bat than be forced to install 40 different packages and all of their bloated dependencies (which they probably don't even need to run). For example, look at this shit:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/140246/how-do-i-resolve-unmet-dependencies

This is your OS on apt.
>>
>>52064934
I like the desktop environment on OS X

Dont like my reason? Ok. Well your opinion wont change mine.
>>
>>52067247
>http://askubuntu.com/questions/140246/how-do-i-resolve-unmet-dependencies
>This is your OS on apt.
That's hardly normal. Using an extremely edge case as an argument is pretty lame.
>>
File: os.png (249 KB, 900x279) Image search: [Google]
os.png
249 KB, 900x279
>>52064934
But I'm using it :3
>>
>>52064934
Because it is prehistoric and there are superior alternatives (like arch or void)

Why would you NOT want rolling release?
>>
Too user unfriendly. I like Salix OS, though.
(Slackware for lazies) However their repository is too tiny.
>>
praise bob
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.