[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/ I've been getting into programming and i wanna do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: 1448807143851.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1448807143851.webm
2 MB, 640x640
Hi /g/

I've been getting into programming and i wanna do some javascript stuff. However i'm not really sure how to get started.

I don't know what editor to use, and i can't even seem to find a download for the language.

I usually write codes in groovy, which has and editor and an easy download.

Plz help
>>
Use the general
>>
>>52059854
I dont understand? whats the general?
>>
>>52059975
You're not smart enough to program
>>
>>52059975
/dpt/
>>
>>52059839
damn nigga i would stay laying down until they closed
>>
>>52060025
that's autism i guess.
>>
File: 1442448325582.png (50 KB, 187x211) Image search: [Google]
1442448325582.png
50 KB, 187x211
>>52059839
Women are so fucking retarded they can't even walk.
>>
>>52059839
Why didn't the niglets take her wallet?
>>
>>52060389
or rape her?
>>
Code academy
>>
>>52059839
Such a waste of 5 cents of popcorn.
>>
File: 4L_PCxZAxtZ.jpg (139 KB, 980x1136) Image search: [Google]
4L_PCxZAxtZ.jpg
139 KB, 980x1136
>>52059839
>editor
Use vim

http://vim-adventures.com

>learn JavaScript
Try the book Head First Java script programming
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/mobile/0636920027065.do

It has a chill friendly writing style to it. Good for complete beginners.
>>
>>52059839
OP, what do you want to do with JS?
>>
According to /dpt/ you should just dress as a girl, embed a buttplug, read that book that actually no one reads and code fizz buzz everyday in ANSI C using vim.

The better way is actually having a cool idea or problem, and just focus on doing/fixing that. Then select the tools and learn them.

But for most stuff :
Frontend Webdevelopment: HTML, CSS and Javascript. All of them, but you can cheat using pre-made stuff(libraries/frameworks) and actually don't understand what is going on: not recommended.

Backend Webdevelopment: Python, Ruby, Go, Java. Pick one, but the ones on the left are more recommended because there are loads of libraries and documentation for them. I personally really like Go.

Desktop development: C#(windows), Swift(OSX), Java(cross platform)
I don't have much experience in this field. But I'm sure C# is nice on Windows. Don't know if Swift is ready for use.

Game development: Don't, but if you insist go with an engine. Else you can try C++ and give up after a couple of days.

App development: Java(android), Objective-C/Swift (iOS)

Scientific, math heavy programming: Python, MATLAB

Small scripts : Python, Ruby. For small tasks you shouldn't have to compile.

Hardware Development: C is nice in this field, you can also completely depend on Arduinos and learn a weird dialect. VHDL, too much typing, but catches all your errors, if you like FPGAs
>>
>>52061805
Oh and avoid Javascript as the fucking plague. You're completely dependent on it in the frontend, so especially for personal (full stack blabla) webdev projects you can't avoid it. But that's not a reason to do all the things in Javascript.
>>
>>52061854
Is there something wrong with full stack Javascript, anon?
>>
>>52061898
Yes, because the language wasn't designed for that. But there are probably a lot of resources and documentation for Node, so it is not completely retarded. But it only exists because of frontend devs who wanted to do the backend as well.

I personally really dislike working with Javascript.
>>
>>52061997
>Yes, because the language wasn't designed for that

Funny you should mention that, considering Netscape actually made a server-side implementation a long time ago, called Netscape LiveWire. While it wasn't fantastic, it was part of the vision that Netscape had for the language.

Out of curiosity, why do you dislike working with JS?
>>
@lynda.com..probly is a best way to start..
>>
>>52060389
>>52060541

True nigga gentlmen.
>>
>>52061539
I agree I've learned a lot from the site.
~HTML/CSS
~JavaScript 91% done.
>>
>>52061805
great list. I would like to expand it though.

>Desktop development: Python and C++ is good for this. There is a lot of libraries to use and they are both easy and cross platform.

>Scientific: Python is good for general stuff, matlab is good for visual mathematics.
If you just want to make a quick script that analyses your data so you can make some statistics: R is the language to use.

Hardware Development: NXC (lego) and Arduino is very close to C, but in general, C is the best language for embedded devices.
VHDL and Verilog are hardware description languages used for ASIC and FPGA's.
It is tedious, surrounded with headaches but you learn a lot about how everything works by implementing it in hardware.
>>
>>52061539
fuck. did you just give me a new fetish?
>>
>>52062285
Everyone can look up her skirt and there's nothing she can do about it.
>>
>>52059839
>I don't know what editor to use, and i can't even seem to find a download for the language.
Use Sublime
>>
>>52060005
>lol the "not smart enough to program" meme

you do realize, any half brain idiot can do what you do, only difference is that half brain idiot will find something easy to do, and prefer to do it instead ( like brick layering), but wait theres a catch, if that said idiot is even 1/25 more stupid he will push himself to understand the simple logic of general purpose programing and do it anyway, it might take him half the time more than you, but eventually he will learn.

And to defend my thesis, there is more than one girls out there that do "programming".
>>
>>52059839
Sublime or Atom, both wrecks.
I prefer Atom if I do HTML/CSS/JS at once, but I find Sublime more distraction free and easy on my laptop to focus on one thing.

So just try both or even find something else, like notepad++ or whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>52061805
>Backend Webdevelopment: Python, Ruby, Go, Java. Pick one, but the ones on the left are more recommended because there are loads of libraries and documentation for them. I personally really like Go.

Literally what

The one definitive advantage Java has (not only in web development, but in general) is its massive popularity, sheer amount of documentation, frameworks, libraries and helpful experts.

Not to mention, nothing can rival Spring Boot.
>>
>>52063981
>Implying brick laying is easy.
>>
>>52061679
Is there a plugin for a vim that work like m$ visual intelj?
>>
>>52059839
>picks up the empty bucket and gives it back
Fucking lmao
>>
>>52062798
she can put on pants
>>
>>52064171
I know, but I think as a first language, you can probably do better on backend dev with other languages
>>
>>52060025
>damn nigga i would stay laying down until they closed

It's okay, she's a girl. They probably blamed the carpet for rape.
>>
>>52062798
>Everyone can look up her skirt and there's nothing she can do about it.

It's basically period blood but covering 3 entire blocks.

I couldn't imagine the suffering.
>>
File: img1335.jpg (18 KB, 234x326) Image search: [Google]
img1335.jpg
18 KB, 234x326
>>52063981
brick laying is not easy. i'd like to see you frame a house with traditional methods used before DuPont and all cheap materials "craftsmen" use today.
>>
>>52059839
Gtfo noob
>>
>>52059839
Hijacking this thread

-

What do you guys think about Ruby?
I have some basic knowledge of C++, C# and C, I'd like to try something different, not sure if Python or Ruby would be the best idea

>what do you want to do

Primarily develop Android apps, so I'm already covered by C#, I just really want to mess around with a new language that is comfy and not overly complicated.
>>
>>52064687
Today it's her no-panties day. What an unfortunate coincidence!
>>
>>52059839
please don't full stack with JS
>>
>>52059839
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I would be kicked out from laughting this hard holy shit
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.