[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick question, when looking at HWMonitor, I have a different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: pic.png (42 KB, 1152x793) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
42 KB, 1152x793
Quick question, when looking at HWMonitor, I have a different temp for "CPU" and for "FX-8350." What's the difference? Which should I monitor when watching my cpu temp?

<------------- pic
>>
i dunno m8 LOL
>>
>>52058916
thanks

bump
>>
>>52058906
as far as i know, AMD CPUs don't have real temperature sensors anymore. the bottom one is some computed value that has basically nothing to do with reality. the top one is a sensor on the motherboard, near the CPU. in the socket i think.
>>
Cpu is the socket temp. Package is the actual cpu
>>
>>52059112
After 40 degrees C the amd temp sensor is accurate
>>
>>52058906
One value, the only accurate value displayed there, is inside of the package. AMD abandoned on die temp sensors years ago, and they rely on a bunch of complex circuitry and math to calculate current leakage, thermal properties of the materials on die, and etc to quantify a metric they call thermal margin. Its far more accurate than a simplistic temp probe, but is far more abstract as well.
Nothing but AMD overdrive will output correct values for this. It isn't a single degree value, its a rating of how much thermal margin is left until the chip begins to throttle.

>>52059162
No.
>>
>>52058906
CPU temp is a diode on the motherboard under the CPU, basically like >>52059147 said.

Package/core temps are done by diodes in the CPU.
>>
>>52059469
For reference:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1330946/amd-temperature-guide
http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information-and-guide

>>52059492
Again, no.
>>
>>52059502
>"CPU Temp" is read by a sensor in the socket of the motherboard.

And of course core temps are on die as they state.

The principle of measuring temperature on CPU dies is the same as it is with any diode, and all diodes have accuracy margins.
>>
>>52059555
>I literally cannot read whatsoever oh god I'm such a stupid faggot please rape my face
>>
>>52059572
>i have no idea what is actually going on ill just link articles and say people are wrong
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.