[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think social media makes people unhappy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5
File: facebook.webm (147 KB, 460x356) Image search: [Google]
facebook.webm
147 KB, 460x356
Do you think social media makes people unhappy?
>>
>>52055943
Yes.

Everyone tells me they are unhappy being on there "but it's what you have to do in 2015"

Except not really.
>>
File: 1447812592647.jpg (10 KB, 257x331) Image search: [Google]
1447812592647.jpg
10 KB, 257x331
>>52055943
Probably Facebook, seeing as how most people post only their highlights, giving the impression their life is literally 24/7 perfect and shit.
>>
>>52055943
Yes. It's all so much stupid bullshit.
>>
It certainly does for me, but I have self esteem issue.
>>
>>52055943
Social media is nice for keeping up with friends that you still meet regularly. Delete everyone you wouldn't have a face to face conversation with. Delete your bloated ass facebook lists. Stop using social media to compare yourself to others.
>>
Thank god i live in a city where not having Facebook is cool
>>
Yes. Left in 2012 and never looked back. Granted I only joined in 2010.
>>
>>52055943
I study marketing and organizational communication at Uni in Sweden. A lot of what we learn is about social media, and especially Facebook.

The more we learn and understand Facebook the more I am against it. As of right now, I only use it because it's a great tool for communicating with friends and organizing events, plus as a uni student without Facebook you're severly handicapped socially.

Instagram and shit I don't care too much about because it's so simple, but Facebook has become so ingrained in peoples lives now and honestly if it was only a simple, easy chat tool and event organizer I think people would be happier. When everything comes at you at once in that format, not only do people subconsciously compare themselves to others, they compare themselves to everyone else at the same time. I myself have felt that when I'm feeling down looking at Facebook just makes shit worse.

I won't be sad the day Facebook disappears.
>>
File: 1439050148855.jpg (12 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1439050148855.jpg
12 KB, 258x245
>>52056872
>Sweden
>>
>>52056913
dumb frogposter
>>
Yes. Even this site makes me depressed.
>>
>>52055943
yes, it's dehumanizing and trivializes interactions between people
>>
>>52055943
No, it's a great tool. If people use it to watch stupid articles and share stupid shit it's their problem. You are free to not look at the feed and only check pictures or talk with your friends through Facebook.
>>
>>52056071
Yes, which is why I deleted my accounts because I don't have any irl friends.
>>
>>52055943
Yes.

Watching my family and peers showing pics from all over the world on their trips. And their expensive new toys. And even when I have success I'm too modest to lost online.
>>
>>52057182
>Sweden
>yes
>>
>>52059910
4chan makes people unhappy. theory confirmed.
>>
>>52058056
>implying human interaction wasn't already trivial
>>
>>52059910
>4chan is social media

I'd argue that it is closer to antisocial media.
>>
>>52055943
>implying the corporations running social media websites aren't running emotion experiments on their used* to induce such feelings on purpose

also op is a faggot
>>
>>52055943
I believe facebook and similar sites are shit, and they do on average make people very unhappy.

I don't have a facebook, because there's no point. I don't want to post what I ate for breakfast, etc. I don't want to be told what one of my friends ate for breakfast, etc. either.

If someone wants to tell me, they can call, text, or email me. They can even message me on IRC if they know the channels I lurk in.

That's plenty of ways to contact me. If they don't want to do any of those, then they must not want to talk to me bad enough, and probably aren't my friend anyway.
>>
>>52056872

>The day when Facebook disappears

I long for that to happen, seems like it's going to take decades though people already are growing sick of it and I heard more and more are abandoning it or choosing other platforms. One thing which puzzles me is how it's managed to survive so long without adding nothing new to culture whatsoever, anything it has taken and tried to pass off has been recycled from elsewhere or is another marketing tool, the entire service is nothing to exist to make people more miserable than they already are.
>>
>>52056872
sweden yes
>>
Yes Facebook. Nobody remembers small tweets or instagram posts. Why I don't talk to anyone from school days on fb I got bored of everyone's mundane lives
>>
>>52055943
this is a no brainer
of course it does
>>
File: 1427198636421.jpg (26 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1427198636421.jpg
26 KB, 600x450
>>52055943
It sure makes autistic/socially challenged people like me unhappy.
I mean it suck to be home on Friday night doing nothing with a back pain while watching how they are having a blast in clubs and just drinking and having fun,or on weekends while I see people going places doing stuff.
All I do is go to uni,get back home,study and repeat.
Not a single friend,and 25 and never had gf.
Fucking autism man
>>
Yeah, it teaches you to share everything that happens in your life

kinda like communism to be honest family
>>
>>52063030
Do you know what is responsible for this? 4chan.

You spend most of your time here arguing whether blue vs red; amd vs nvidia, mac vs windows vs linux, android vs ios vs WP versus that new indie os.

It's not some disease. You're just addicted to this stuff.
>>
>>52063055
>arguing whether blue vs red; amd vs nvidia, mac vs windows vs linux, android vs ios vs WP versus that new indie os.

I have that shit filtered long time ago.I just dont fit in.
>>
>>52063086
Have you actually tried?
>>
>>52063138
Oh yes many times.
Now Im at my fifth and final year here at uni,and honestly i tried my best to find friends the first two years,I mean I was constantly trying to chat up with people in environment,and to some degree i succeeded.I was called to few social events but all that stopped when they realized that dont want me or that Im no fun although Im down for anything.
Had a chance to get gf twice but they both pulled off in the last second.
After a while I stopped trying and started to laugh at my misery.
>>
>>52056095
Where mate? We could make it into a paradise.
>>
>>52055943
nothing makes makes me happy, so, probably yes
>>
>>52056095
2 things
1) do you mean "country"? because there are no cities that are localized pockets of resistance against the facebook behemoth. there are countries where another social networking site is more popular, and there are backwater/third-world locales where the internet isn't that mainstream in the first place, but those are all different things.

2) the discussion is about social networking sites in general, not facebook in particular. don't jump to another conclusion.
>>
>>52063214
I really think you should keep trying to at least find someone who shares your interests. Then they might introduce you to their friends etc.
>>
I'm 30 and I despised myspace when that was the thing too. Girlfriend and other people I knew would spend at least half their time on there. Seemed like only drama and stupid bullshit came out of it. I never signed up for facebook either. When I was a lab assistant in college I'd walk into the computer lab to see 30+ kids doing nothing but dicking around and playing games on facebook. Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>52063214
>Had a chance to get gf twice but they both pulled off in the last second.
you make it sound like they ran away at the altar.

dating among ~20-year-olds is about easing into things. that's what "netflix & chill" is about. she comes over to watch netflix - a deliberately low-stakes activity - and then you "chill", which is also low-stakes. Something probably will happen, but you're not calling it a date or courtship or any of that crap.

Ask someone if they want to hang out. then after hanging out ask if they want to hang out again (both times with something real, don't just vaguely ask if they want to hang out because that smacks too much of "would you like to date me"). then ask if they want to come over and "watch netflix or whatever".

don't hype this shit up so much.
>>
>>52055943
it made me unhappy

but then deleting my facebook account didn't help and made me even more unhappy because it meant I'd probably never talk to any of my high school friends again
>>
>>52063407
damn bro, what would you do without netflix?
>>
>>52063432
culture has changed in the last 10 years, and 10 years ago it was different from the way things were 10 years before that, and on and on 50 or 100 or 1000 years back.

if you're trying to date in 2015 like you're a young man in 1955, be prepared for people to be creeped out. the proposition of dinner as an explicit "date" weirds people out. they're perfectly happy with the thought of eventually being exclusive, later moving in, and maybe someday marrying you, but the way you open the door now is different from the way you opened the door 20 years ago.

but to answer your question more concretely, you'd ask a girl if she wanted to get coffee or, if she's a co-worker or somewhere thereabouts, ask if she wants to get lunch. things most people do.
>>
>>52063462
lol, I'm not the guy you were replying to. I just found your post funny and was giving you shit.
>>
>>52063407
>you make it sound like they ran away at the altar.
Lold,but you are probably right.
The fact is that i never learned how to behave around people,part of that influence is my household manners and how parents though me,part is that i was going in a very very bad school as a kid.
I would say Ive come a very long way knowing where I was before,but that doesn't mean that I can learn how to get with people overnight,if ever for that mater.
Thanks for the advice anyway.
>>
>shitty job, accept as much hours as I can
>soul literally sucked out of me
>make music as a hobby
>coworker tells me about Twitter
>fuck it
>make an account
>upload music to bandcamp
>share music on Twitter with a bunch of hashtags
>start getting a couple of retweets and people start buying my music
>not enough to make a living but enough to remove a couple of hours from my job
>get noticed by an indie game company
>flash forward a couple of years
>quit my shitty job, making music for games and movies
>travel the world and share my experiences on Twitter and Facebook
>met a local girl on imgur
>we've been together for a year now
Reeeee, I know, but social media saved me from a downward spiral of depression.

Sage because blog.
>>
>>52063650
Post music or it didn't happen
>>
>>52063845
this

if it's shit i'm going to say VERY mean things about it
>>
>>52063845
>>52063938
Don't want to spread my personal info on 4chan.
Orchestral, classic, ambient and trance.
>>
>>52055943
Yes. The only reason they don't rename Facebook to www.all-your-friends-are-in-a-relationship-engaged-or-married-and-youre-not.com is because it would be way too long to type.
>>
>>52055943
I have never fell for the social media meme and I'm a very happy person, so I guess yes
>>
>>52055943

No. People will find ways to be unhappy.
>>
>>52063285
Nah i meant city. It's Milan.
Here everyone is obsessed with advancing to the next level of hipsterism. Since everyone is using facebook, more and more people are starting to get bored of it.
We came to a point where my classmates at uni (qt girls included) were impressed with the fact that I don't have a Facebook account and stated that they know its just a time wasting machine. Some of them deleted their account. None of my close friends have it anymore, and I hear about a lot of people giving up on it.
Twitter was never a big thing here
>>
>>52056872
>as a uni student without Facebook you're severly handicapped socially
>implicerar implikationer
>>
File: 1401404685429.jpg (23 KB, 490x480) Image search: [Google]
1401404685429.jpg
23 KB, 490x480
>>52063407
>streaming
>>
>>52064351
I wonder what will replace it, they have to use some way of contacting each other, besides regular calls/texts
>>
>>52055943
Yes, I think it does.

>>52056872
pretty true, but really it's not so terrible.
You only really need to use the chat. No need to install the FB app on your phone just messenger and you're good to go.
>>
>>52064514
I'm first year in Uni, it's frightening how true that statement is, and here I thought that studying CS would would translate into less ignorant people around me.
>>
>>52055943
yes
>>
>>52065576
>I thought that studying CS would would translate into less ignorant people around me.

lel, have fun with winblows fags, iPhone fanboys and nuthing to hide retards.
>>
>>52055943
it makes people like me unhappy

>see everyone happy with friends
>their highlight reel is 1000 times better than my highlight reel
i uninstalled it after a year when i realized i don't use it and nothing positive has happened from using it
>>
>>52064607
>No need to install the FB app on your phone just messenger

nigga it's the same thing
it's still facebook no matter which features you strip from it
>>
>>52055943
Made me unhappy seeing that someone who went to the same Uni programme as me got a 3mo salary as a christmas bonus while I got some candy. I don't even know why I chose this startup desu.
>>
>>52055943
just addicted
>>
>>52063407
Netflix and chill is unspoken code for hooking up. What are you, retarded?

Offer to meet at a park or something and walk around on a nice day, public and non-threatening compared to "come chill on my couch alone in the dark bebeh, heuheueueu"
>>
>>52066305
Everyone who joins a startup knows that they are in it for the equity upon a successful exit.

What's the name of the startup?
>>
>>52055943
Makes weak people unhappy.
>>
>>52066542
h-heh
>>
You have to be a special kind of stupid if you let social media lower your happiness level.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.