[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best work laptop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 051-07.jpg (40 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
051-07.jpg
40 KB, 480x360
So I saw a bunch of people here use the Think Pad laptops, and was wondering what would be the best one to buy for my dad, who budget is $1,000.

All he wants is a large HDD (or ssd), for all his work.

Would there be any better alternative to the Think Pads? Macbook maybe?
>>
>>52054559
ThinkPad T450 is excellent.
>>
MACBOOK? hahah... Thinkpads are best, but unfortunately the new "thinkpads" are shit macbook wannabies.

HP elite books are the best NEW laptops, and there are currently two of them under your budget http://-tinyurl-.-com/jmwkjba (remove dashes (-) press "view options")

Possibly other places that have cheaper Elite books. Depends on what he does you COULD get him a solid used thinkpad x200 and just buy a new battery and upgrade RAM and a new SSD.

There are some driver problems with windows 10 on thinkpad x200 though.
>>
>>52054819
what about the Dell XPS?
They look very nice, and seem like they can do the job nicely.
>>
>>52054559
Think pads are solid, highly recommend them.
Macs are fine, but the operating system takes a while to get into. My mom bought one and got rid of it less than two months later.
>>
>>52054867
the xps13 and 15 with infinity display are not exactly robust
>>
>>52054559
I am using an L450 right now with 500HDD + 128GB SSD. It's a decent laptop desu. I don't understand why so many recommend the T450 though. I see little difference between them except the weight and battery.
>>
>>52054559
What is the general opinion on the X230? Worth the price for one?
>>
>>52055538
Materials, I don't know the details on the L series but the Edge series is made out of some cheap plastic while T series uses stronk reinforced carbon fiber. Given that the L series is another cheaper alternative to T I'd bet it cuts corners in similar ways.
>>
>>52056301
Ye I heard some bad things about the Edge series. I guess the T line is made for some rough usage. My L450 is probably 100% plastic, but still feels druable after 1 year in action.
>>
>>52055585
Depends, you can get them quite cheap. It's a decent machine
>>
>>52054819
Even a x250 with Linux?
>>
>>52054559
HP Elitebook series
Dell Precision or Latitude series
Thinkpad T or X series
Everything else is subpar.
>>
>>52058110
Shit keyboard
Shit trackpad
Shit case
Mediocre screen
>>
>>52054559
Get him an X220T. Add a 2TB ssd for storage. Add 500GB msata for os. Add ram if necessary.
>>
Had a t450s. A single 5-feet drop killed the screen. I probably expected too much from a thinkpad to begin with, but that was a huge letdown considering the fact that they are marketed as durable.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.