[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /g/. I am that guy who coded a webserver and scriptin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: kids-toys.jpg (77 KB, 900x577) Image search: [Google]
kids-toys.jpg
77 KB, 900x577
Hello, /g/. I am that guy who coded a webserver and scripting language suite in QB64 (BASIC).

I designed a new template for my website and am in need of some constructive feedback.

http://www.geekbasic.com/
>>
>>52053299
This looks like a malware site.

You should keep your website as simple as possible, to the minimum amount of information.

And please never use gradients on a website. It looks like you got silly with the hex codes.
>>
>>52053299
with that picture u posted u arent gonna get shit.
>>
>>52053320
thanks.

I am currently attempting to condense the focus of my site. What kind of information is off putting?
>>
>>52053406
Different anon here, but i think the layout of the site map bar thing is kind of... like when you type a url wrong and get directed to a free domain thing, lol.
Also the colors kinda clash and it could use a bit more creativity.
>>
>>52053746
I agree with the colors. I would like to use an actual picture for the background.

May you please further explain the URL issue with an example?
>>
>>52053299
Having widgets on your site like a bing translate, or a live traffic feed makes it look very cluttered. I honestly thought the bing button was an advert.

Also the social media overlay for the website is kinda vomit-worthy. If you want to share the website, at least put the buttons at the bottom of the site where it's not taking up any valuable website space.
>>
>>52053837
I was worried about that. The issue was even worse on my previous template. Your honesty is appreciated.

I will start by removing the floating share widget, which has less functionality than the translator. (I use the traffic feed to keep track of recent visitors out of curiosity)
>>
I'd recommend that you change the menu bar. Why don't you make each of those categories (Account, Information, Sharing, etc.) a section in a menu bar and set it up so when you hover over one it opens a drop down menu with buttons that link to whatever links are under that category.
Also, I'm not a huge man of the whole floating quote thing, its like a preachy pop-up ad.
And yeah, please change the whole gradient background thing, make it one color or a simple image/pattern, but most importantly make it easy on the eyes bright purple and green is makes it feel like Barney is shooting my eyes.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 317x472) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 317x472
Needs p0rn
>>
>>52054804
Thank you. I will save this thread and incorporate your opinions when I return to my code tonight.
>>
>>52053808
Never use images as background. They make the whole website look messy. There are some special cases when it's ok but the general rule of thumb is that it's a bad idea.
>>
website like welcome back in 90's
>>
>>52053299
- Remove gradient background. Maybe make it black like your logo.

- Remove the quotes and "Our Visitors".

- Make the "About Us" bit sound less generic. "We're geeks that like hacking with technology" is a lot more generic and spammy-sounding than, say, "We breathe life into old systems like the Atari 2600 and QBasic"

- Remove that bottom navigation bar. It's rather pointless given the length of your pages

- I'm not sure if I'd do drop-down menus (they're awful for mobile and touchscreens), but you need to make the navigation a lot more compact.

Other than that, it's not an awful start.

Here's some good reading material. It's from 2003, but so long as you don't take it literally it's still good.

http://www.learningwebdesign.com/pdf/lwd2_usable_sites.pdf

http://www.learningwebdesign.com/pdf/lwd2_dos_and_donts.pdf
>>
File: 4L_HNJpyglz.jpg (151 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
4L_HNJpyglz.jpg
151 KB, 425x282
>>52053299
Have you looked at other websites in the last 10 years? Is this a joke?

If you are serious and you care about the way it looks u might want to try using a twitter bootstrap theme or something like that.
>>
File: 1332302699743.jpg (67 KB, 300x345) Image search: [Google]
1332302699743.jpg
67 KB, 300x345
>>52053299
>http://www.geekbasic.com/
is this a joke?
>>
>actual contact emails on the email page
10/10 would contact you before demanding your host suspend your page for hosting phish content
>>
File: 1331524407492.jpg (80 KB, 443x388) Image search: [Google]
1331524407492.jpg
80 KB, 443x388
>bing
>>
>>52053299
Lego was really fun thouse days
>>
>>52053299
Hey breh, /gd/ here. What you need to do is look at websites that you like the look of, find some inspo and then look at 960 grids and webdesign rules. Not to be too harsh a critic but the website needs to be redesigned from the ground up. Drop the gradient. The combination of rounded and straight corners is visually disturbing. Lose the small centered logo (maybe a logo redesign is in order), and please drop that rank/view counter! It looks like you're going for an 80's inspired cyberpunk-esque design, is that your intention?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.