[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is one of my classes next semester. What can I expect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
This is one of my classes next semester. What can I expect?
>>
>>52050965
Basic Linux commands, Regex, and most likely some Perl.
>>
>>52050965
download an linux iso, install to a virtual machine. you are now ready to pass this class.
>>
>>52051005
Will I have to remember commands?
>>
>>52051022
Remember? The point of it is to memorize them by heart, so that you are able to use a distro with ease, just like you do Windows.

It's really easy, just takes a whole getting used to it, any above average user will get used to it in no time. Even if you don't like it, if you can't handle basic Linux usage, you're most likely not fit for a job in the area.
>>
>>52051075
would this work on ubuntu?
or do i need something like debian
>>
>>52051210
once you get to the command line all the basics are the same on most any distro. At most you might have to apt-get something.
>>
>>52050965
What the fuck is Unix/Linux? Are they teaching Unix or are they teaching Linux? Or are they just teaching bash? Fucking retarded. Just as bad as C/C++.
>>
>>52050965
Expect 90% Linux. Real Unix will be touched tangencially.
>>
>>52051294
i want to mention its an online class btw
>>
>>52050980
>Perl
Doubtful in a modern Linux course. It's probably going to be all Ubuntu shit.
>>
expect to memorize stupid shit like vim keyboard shortcuts and permission numbers, the same type of stupid shit the kids on /g/ feel superior for thinking they know
>>
>>52050965
literally tells you what to expect. Are all CS students this retarded? I wouldn't know, I was smart enough to study mathematics
>>
>>52051874
>Are all CS students this retarded?
In my experience yes.
>>
>>52051874
>Are all CS students this retarded?
He isn't a Computer Science major.

>Students are expected to install, maintain and troubleshoot a stand-alone Unix/Linux machine.
>>
>>52050980
>>52050965
At my school, this is a year 3 course. Basically was history, bash scripts, how the Unix system tree works and looks, config files, and using a lot of gcc and gdb. We also covered some memorry management in C using valgrind
>>
>>52051874
>CS
It's an IS course
>>
>>52050965
Expect to have many opportunities to interject for a moment.

What they’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>>
Class sounds like a fucking joke.

git gud 
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.