[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'v fucked up /g/ i accidentally tryed to plug my HDD the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
i'v fucked up /g/
i accidentally tryed to plug my HDD the wrong way while the PSU was still on.

the wire didn't go all the way, but it was enough for the 12V pin to contact the HDD 5V one and cause a shortage.

my PSU and everything else are fine, but my HDD logic board is toasted.

i know that my data are still there in on the disk, how can i get them back.

>inb4 buy the same HDD and swap the logic boards.
>>
Force it open and take the disc out, then bring it to a PC repair shop
>>
File: verbal kint.gif (1 MB, 268x268) Image search: [Google]
verbal kint.gif
1 MB, 268x268
>>52050972
no
>>
>>52050918
anyone ?
>>
>>52050918
Look over the fried board and see how extensive the damage was, maybe replace a few components. Else youll need a new logic board, but i believe they have unique calibration data and it may not work without that.
>>
>>52051783
checked it, no visible damage.
the only think that i noticed last time i plug it is that some regulator start to hear up.
but this doesn't necessarly mean that the regulator itself is damaged
>>
>>52050918
I had the same issue with my friend's hard drive, and burnt it the same way.

If you have a good soldering iron, take a look at this http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/TVS_diode_FAQ.html

and try removing it. For my friends Seagate 1TB Barracuda, I had to solder a wire from a specific pin to a point on the motherboard, I cannot remember the guide that told me to do it, but anyhow, do your research and fix it yourself.
>>
>>52052732
>>52050918
To add on, fzabkar really knows his stuff about hard drive recovery, and removing the TVS Diode should work.
>>
How the fuck did you manage to plug it in backwards?
>>
>>52052732
>>52052760
thanks, looks interesting
>>52052786
like i said, i didn't really plug it backwards (because its not possible duh) but the pins still contacted
>>
>>52050918
Shouldn't you turn off your computer before you start fucking around in it?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.