[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do you code on a Chromebook? I dont want to use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: windows vista.jpg (139 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
windows vista.jpg
139 KB, 500x400
How the fuck do you code on a Chromebook? I dont want to use Crouton for this.

All the online IDE's i have tried suck for Java
>>
ctrl-alt-t (open chrome shell)
type shell
ssh into your fav pc.

If you don't want to crouton, you're kind of limited. Especially in the IDE/software dept. Seriously tho, give it a shot, it's painless and being able to switch back and forth without rebooting is great.
>>
>>52048198
It's not painless, there's always something that doesn't work
>>
>>52048214
Suit yourself. I'd wager you've spent more time wading through shit online IDE's than it would have taken to complete the install.

Here's a link in case you change your mind.

howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/
>>
>>52048271
I already have Crouton and Debian running. It's no where near a painless experience
>>
>>52048157
install a normal linux distro on it.
>>
Install the Caret application
ssh into another computer, or use the chrome screen thingy
install chromebrew, install vim
>>
>>52048157
Is Chromebook one of those shitty locked down OS that's just a webbrowser.

Just install Linux, or if you can't buy literally anything and install linux on that.

I'm browsing on xubuntu on a shitty old Acer Aspire One netbook I bought to go travelling with. If I wanted to code on it I could, but I do it all at work or the desktop.
>>
Sell it and get a ThinkPad.
>>
>>52048523
Sell it, and get TWO thinkpads. install linux on both and code different projects with each hand. be super productive.
>>
>>52048586
you guys have the same delusions that /k/ does about mosin prices, about thinkpad prices

theyre not cheap anymore, the stock for thinkpads is drying up as time goes on, nobody uses them in a business setting anymore
>>
>>52048157
you can use remote desktop and just do your work on a more powerful workstation?
>>
>>52048157
No IDE can make Java okay. They can only stem the tide of misery.
>>
>>52048157
install visual studio, it's free ;^)
>>
>java
:')

Go for c++.
>>
>>52048157
>people on /g/ says the future of linux is chrome OS
>they seriously believe it's a real and good linux distribution
>can't figure out how to "code" on it
>>52048198
>first solution is the one we give to winfags
>>
File: 4L_ybgSn0Ob.jpg (15 KB, 300x232) Image search: [Google]
4L_ybgSn0Ob.jpg
15 KB, 300x232
>>52048157
>don't want to use crouton
Crouton is so fucking easy to install and you can always power wash it back if u don't like
>using an IDE
>using a cloud IDE
You might as well code with a touchscreen. Are you one of those feminist coders I keep hearing about?

Don't be a faggot. Use vim.
>>
>>52049695
I guess you send mails as well instead of using online tools to discuss with people
>>
>>52048214
I'm shit at linux and painlessly installed it on my Toshiba chromebook 2 yesterday and in under 2 hours had multiple proper programs already set up and running in it without a problem. Even my touchpad gestures work flawlessly in ubuntu
>>
>>52049787
What is /g/ becoming....
>>
>>52048600
>the stock for thinkpads is drying up as time goes on, nobody uses them in a business setting anymore

But you can buy old thinkpads that are still high quality. and great for coding
>>
>>52049624
>>people on /g/ says the future of linux is chrome OS

Nobody says that here. Only windows fags trying to make a joke because they are too afraid to try linux.
>>
File: 4L_5oPda25R.jpg (41 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
4L_5oPda25R.jpg
41 KB, 480x360
>>52049787
>Female coder detected
Wastes time talking about coding on social media instead of actually coding.

Isn't there a problematic eggplant emoji that you can go protest? Go organize a slutwalk and stop bothering the men who are doing actual coding work.
>>
>>52052047
Lmao. This boogeyman syndrome is worse than /pol/
>>
>>52051721
are you fucking new ? that's been a year that I see more and more faggots buying and using this shit and talking about this OS being a real linux distribution.
>>
>>52049574
>using the smiley with a carat nose
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.