[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Linux just as bad as Android?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: whyisheinthecorneroftheframe.jpg (12 KB, 516x285) Image search: [Google]
whyisheinthecorneroftheframe.jpg
12 KB, 516x285
OK so when ask a person why you should switch to Android they basically come up with a bunch of customization nonsense. Fair enough. But then they forget to mention all the completely terrible shit. E.g

No security options for apps
Shitty camera for certain apps
No software updates
General laggy performance after a few years

Then they tell you how to fix it. Oh you could've just done X and installed X and sacrificed the blood of your first born, no big deal. Then you think "shit why didn't I just get an iPhone"

But that's not the point. I just want to know if Linux is a 24/7 maintanace job like Android.
>>
Android is a Linux you fucking dumb cunt
>>
>>52046850
You should properly maintain every system you own, regardless of the operating system.
>>
>>52047360
This

We all know that Apple Just Werks. We also all know that you're severely locked down to the content on the device itself. You're limited to iTunes for most of your media transfer and limited to your App Store for any downloads you want. You can't see what kind of code your device is running and you can't modify or change anything to fit your specific needs.

Which is an okay business model by today's standpoint because the majority of the population are normie who play games, text and browse social media only. Mainly because they lack the knowledge of what their phones are capable of or just don't need those features.

Apart from Apple using brand loyalty to make an army of sheeple and charging outrageous prices for devices that cost pennies and are outdated as fuck in terms of power, they're good products for what they're marketed for.

If you put apple design and "quality control" onto an android phone with flagship specs it will objectively perform better for longer and remain supported far longer.
>>
just get a nexus device
they get OS and security updates always first
the slowing down part is only true for samsung devices
they have bloatware similar to the Apples bloatware for older iOS devices that slows the device down quite a bit
>>
>>52046850
He is in the corner because the scene is supposed to show that the main character is not focusing entirely on him
>>
>>52046850
>OK so when ask a person why you should switch to Android they basically come up with a bunch of customization nonsense
OK so when ask a person why you should switch to IOS they basically come up with a bunch of beauty craftsmanship nonsense
>>
>>52047349
>2016 - a week
>arguing about semantics
He means GNU/Linux you autist, now fuck off.
>>
>>52047431
>limited to your App Store for any downloads you want

this is simply not true. not trying to defend apple, but this is just misinformation. there's a shit ton of software for os x outside the app store.
>>
>>52046850
An OS that doesn't allow you to fuck up is an OS that blocks you even when you know what you are doing. As a babby, yes, Linux is relatively high maintenance. As in, it works OOTB, but if you want to customise things, you're probably gonna break it at first. Once you get more experienced and as soon as you have it configured the way you like, it's a walk on the park.
>>
>>52046850
install gentoo
>>
>>52047702
OS X is not iOS.
>>
>>52046850
android isn't bad at all u fuctard
>>
>>52047734
Cydia

>>52047760
I didn't say it was bad. But you have to jump through so many hoops to do some basic things.

>>52047710
So I'm guessing that's a yes to it being a maintanace job.

>>52047486
Oh really? That kinda makes sense. I'll take your word for it.

>>52047431
Are you sure about that end bit. The s6 is basically a clone of the iPhone and still has the usual Android problems.
>>
>>52047645
No, ios advocates make it about money, because everything is expensive and the phones turns to shit in a years so you need to buy new phones all the time. So if you are in, you have to spend tons of money, if you aren't in then you are poor because you don't have tons of money to waste
>>
>>52048128
>So I'm guessing that's a yes to it being a maintanace job.
Depends what kind of user you are, but assuming you're the average /g/ user and neither an out-of-the-box normie nor a wizard, yes it is, at least for a few months.
>>
>>52048128
> Cydia

Apple have always wanted to make it illegal to jailbreak their phones. And now with CISA it actually IS illegal to jailbreak their phones. I am just waiting for the day they start rounding up jailbreakers and ironically throwing them in jail.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.