[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A word of warning to any would be linux users. Do not DO NOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: DNS_Comic_11.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DNS_Comic_11.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
A word of warning to any would be linux users. Do not
DO NOT
DO NOT
DO NOT make the mistake that you need to start with a babby distro. If you keep using Mint forever, you'll learn nothing. Sure, you'll be able to use mint, but if you ever have to maintain a real linux system you'll be absolutely fucked.

Good starting distros:
• Debian
• Arch
• Fedora (this has the mint problem of being too easy for you learn, marginally less so though)
>>
Why the fuck would I ever want to maintain a linux system other than the one I'm using?
>>
But I do only want to use GNU+<Linux
>>
File: archlinux faggots2.png (979 KB, 650x4376) Image search: [Google]
archlinux faggots2.png
979 KB, 650x4376
>Good starting distros
>Arch
>>
I started with Ubuntu, kept using Ubuntu, and I'm writing kernel drivers at my workplace now.
>>
File: its a big one.jpg (87 KB, 957x1300) Image search: [Google]
its a big one.jpg
87 KB, 957x1300
>>52046168
> good (. . . ) distros
> not gentoo
>>
>>52046280
this was pretty funny coming from an arch user
>>
>>52046168
From 1995ish I went from Debian to Slackware to Arch to Ubuntu to Mint and have never been happier.
>>
kek
>implying using arch teaches you shit other than how to do partitioning and install DE from CLI
>>
>>52046168
>but if you ever have to maintain a real linux system you'll be absolutely fucked.
this is a problem for so many
>>
Or you could just get a babby distro and pick up a few books instead. Doing Linux+ or RHCSA
>>
>>52046397
What are good books
>>
>>52046397
This, definitely.

Going with *buntu and a few books is the best option in my opinion.

But anyway, with a bit of knowledge, you should be able to use whatever distro you're given.
>>
>>52046168
>DO NOT make the mistake that you need to start with a babby distro.
>If you keep using Mint forever,
these are two unrelated things.

Start with Mint or something else easy. Work your way to more challenging operating systems. Stop when your needs are met, because using an operating system that's challenging for any reason other than to meet needs is faggatronic in the extreme.
>>
For someone who wants to learn Linux, I recommend they learn by following guides to setup a server and its various applications. That way they can learn command line skills that they can transfer over to the desktop instead of relying on the babby mindset of having an aversion to the command line and not understanding what they're doing.
>>
>>52046453
just google Linux+/RHCSA study guide books and pick the one with the best ratings
>>
>Hurrhurr muh guhnuu slersh loonucks! You must LERRRN GUNNEW LEWNEX! GUHNEX LOONUS IS MORE IMPORETANT THAN ANYTHIGN!

>WHO CARES IF IT WORKS? YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND IT(imagine "understand" being underlined, or more capitalized than the rest of this text, thank you).

You cunts are ridiculous.
>>
>>52046168
you can compile from source on mint
you uninstall your de, switch to a tty and reinstall it on mint
you can read manpages on mint
what more do you want
>>
>>52046531
wincuck detected :^)
>>
File: 1361925864819.jpg (16 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1361925864819.jpg
16 KB, 268x265
>>52046531
>>
I'm an arch user, but i will not recommend it to anyone. For me, the best distro to start your linux journey is debian. It just werks.
>>
>>52046617
yeah, except when you need proprietary fimrware for something like wifi
best beginner distro ever
>>
>>52046637
Oh yeah so difficult, like debian tells you exactly what driver he wants and you can download it to a pen drive, insert it in pc in which debian is installing, press retry and it will automatically install
>>
>>52046672
compared to any sane distro it is
>>
Meh, I just want to get away from M$, use firefox, a text editor, occasional spreadsheet, listen to music, manage pics, and a little C programming.
Mint is fine. Not everyone wants to dive into the details of the OS.
I did when I was younger, but not really interested any more, learning other things.
Even my tech illiterate wife uses it, and likes it better than XP.
>>
That's retarded.

If you're happy with Mint, use Mint.
>>
>>52046515
I don't think I've ever seen someone use linux and have an aversion to the CLI. I wonder where this comes from because using the command line is great on linux, you can do so much shit
>>
>>52046168
A good starting distro is none at all.
The only winning move is not to play.
>>
>>52046168
Deepin 2014.3 based on Ubuntu or the new Deepin 15 based on Debian (faster, but still in beta).

>It just werks
>>
I want to run useful software, not babysit my goddamn OS.
>>
No you don't learn anything because you suck, you can compile the kernel on Ubuntu or gentoo ,you can write your own iptables on gentoo as well as Ubuntu or any other distribution for that matter.
>>
this might be retarded sounding... since everything on Mint is all minty green, is there any option to change it to blue?
>>
>>52046862
no
>>
Started with debian (and raspbian guess what...)
Now two, nearly three years later, I start to spend more time in my browser and in my terminal writing things, than anything else.
The time in my terminal is so much more, that I sometimes don't even start the DE/WM anymore. Holy fucking shit you guys made become this....
>>
>>52047587
Welcome to Stallman's army. May you live and die free.
>>
>>52047559
No, if you want a blue Linux you have to install Fedora.
>>
Did I make a mistake choosing Arch as my first distro?
>>
Literally no reason for distro elitism.

Just netinstall whatever the fuck you want.
>>
Op is a fag. Start with slackware.. Its easy as shit and the most unix like
>>
Just use Steam OS you fucks
>>
I actually agree with OP. Using linux really is about becoming comfortable with the command line and learning not to fear your absolute power over the machine.

Too many times I've seen people install Ubuntu to "learn" linux, but they just use it like a Window machine and never really learn anything. They just surf the internet with firefox and mostly never open the terminal.

At least with Arch or Debian you have to at least use the command line to do anything which forces you to become comfortable with it.

I use Ubuntu minimal now btw
>>
File: 1447446062221.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447446062221.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
Fuck off.
I started with debian (which is supposedly a distro for """"""advanced users"""""") and gradually shifted to various *buntus, settling on your supposed "babby mode" Fedora.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with using a distro that works.

I would gladly continue to use Ubuntu (since it has the biggest user base and therefore lots of packages) but I absolutely despite dpkg/apt and *buntu devs managed to somehow make even the most lighweight flavours bloated and slow as fuck.
>>
Yeah fuck off mate, im sticking with my babby distros. They work just fine and do the same things that other distros would.

Harder to use != more rewarding for the user
>>
>>52046168
>babby
baby
>>
>>52046168
>everybody who uses loonix is all about learning it as a fedora hobby and growing their neckbeard skills

lmao. I use xubuntu because its stable, light, and lets me do everything Windows does with a lot more freedom. I can use the command line, but I don't get a lot out of it.

Also the best package support. Otherwise, just go fucking use OpenSUSE it's probably far more stable than Arch and Debian while not requiring you to be a fucking neckbeard to fix your computer
>>
Some people just want an OS that doesn't have spyware as a feature.
>>
>>52046168
Stop shitposting, it's Christmas man.
>>
>>52046168
>We certainly wouldn't want people to be able to just USE their computers, now would we?
Fuck off freetard.
>>
>>52046168
linux is all the same bruh, what you can learn on one distro you can learn on another, it's just a matter of applying yourself. if you gotta have a distro force you to learn linux then linux really aint for you.
>>
>learn some programming
>suddenly terminal not at all intimidating
just do this desu
>>
>>52049165
the problem isn't that the terminal is intimidating, but rather that it's annoying to people who aren't used to it and have no clue about commands. it's fine once you're used to it but a lot of people will ask for a convincing reason they should bother to learn it, and I honestly don't have one other than I like it
>>
Seriously, who's the samefag that's been creating all these distro b8 threads?
>>
>not learning how to linux by loading up a gentoo stage1 tarball

Fucking casuals.
>>
>>52049214
can't disagree there, it is annoying when you don't know the commands
>>
>>52046168
>starting with Linux at all
If you don't start with UNIX you're a poseur anyway
>>
>using linux for everyday use
keking at you niggers/weabshits
all you need is turnkey linux
>>
Lol, linux is so broken that linux tards have to work to keep their shitware operational.
>>
File: arch users 3.png (28 KB, 383x400) Image search: [Google]
arch users 3.png
28 KB, 383x400
>>52046168
>Arch
>Fedora
>>
>>52046168
As always, it depends on what you want to do.

If you want to use a Windows clone, then stick to the babby destos.
If you want to use Linux, then indeed you should start out with purer, harder distros. There's no point in using a hard-to-learn distro if you just want to work, but there's no point either using an easy distro if you want to learn.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.