[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning C# For Beginners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: Capture.png (89 KB, 239x306) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
89 KB, 239x306
>>Found Channel9
>>Would like good book to accompany my studying
Any good books out there for C#, possibly up to date. I swear everything I found is 2-10 years old. As a noob don't know whether age is relevant or not when it comes to C# programming. Anyone read this book before? Any good?
>>
2 years old is okay.
>>
>>52045826
C# 6.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference
C# 6.0 and the .NET 4.6 Framework
C# 6.0 Pocket Reference

All new (<month old), easily pirateable

If you want free one that teaches both programming and c# use:

http://www.introprogramming.info/english-intro-csharp-book/

It's pretty good book to learn little of both world. But it's best strength is it's greatest weakness, it doesn't teach GUI programming for example

Your pic in OP post is pure bullshit, don't use it. It's literally written for retards and you'll be pissed off because he spends 10 pages for something so trivial
>>
>OP asks for a book
>disappears after 1 post

thanks faggot
>>
>Visual C#
This is a thing?
What makes it "Visual"?
I've kept up to date with C# 6.0 and all that syntactic goodness, but what the fuck is a "Visual C#"?
>>
>>52046253
Also, I've always used C# In Depth by Jon Skeet. It's up to date with C# 5.0, and since 6.0 released not even a year ago, you should be fine just reading Microsoft's documentation like every other person on the planet.

If it was good enough for all these book authors >>52045904 then it should be good enough for you, too.
>>
File: 17187056.jpg (93 KB, 318x450) Image search: [Google]
17187056.jpg
93 KB, 318x450
>>52045826
Take a look at the yellow book by rob miles

http://www.robmiles.com/c-yellow-book/

It is one of the best books for C# and also contains useful information about general programming
>>
>>52045904
Thank you for input, will immediately be grabbing everything you listed. Will also check everything else listed here. Thank you.
Might get a couple of giant laughs from this, but anyone here ever do some programming for WP? Curious to fuck with it.
>>
>>52046309
>but anyone here ever do some programming for WP? Curious to fuck with it.

That's not laughable, it's the low populated market that has potentially big money in it. It's smart to develop for WP especially when things are going in a direction that MS makes it available to develop for all platforms
>>
>>52046309
WP? Wordpress? Just learn PHP, CSS, HTML ... Good luck, because PHP is shit.
>>
>>52046309
Also curious.
I hate web development, but the lack of a usable 4chan app is steaming.

I'd totally get to it if I knew anything about making a good UX.
>>
File: 54378808.jpg (91 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
54378808.jpg
91 KB, 400x400
>>
>>52046354
WinPhone
>>
File: Animated Gif-221.gif (575 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Animated Gif-221.gif
575 KB, 320x240
>>52046338
You're the first person, I've read, on /g/ to say something like that. It's nice to see someone share the same opinion, real awesome!Honestly, that's why I'm so interested in programming in C#. I am REALLY interested in programming for WP. I keep getting the same comments, "WP is dying" "Won't last long" "Not enough big market share" etc. etc. Honestly, not even interested for the money, I just really want to build apps for WP. I just got my hands on a lumia 950xl and have been playing with it for about 3 days, apart from the battery life being pretty bad, the phone itself and the OS is really fucking good. I don't see why there has been so much hatred for it. I also find it to be far more aesthetically pleasing than iOS or Android, and its menus & start menu simplicity in my opinion is a boon. That being said, I've had Android phones and my phone before my Lumia 950xl was an iPhone 5s that I used until it died and worked great. Again thanks for all the tips, I'm jumping into this shit immediately. If you have anymore programming tips or study material recommendations, specifically pinpointed towards programming for WP 10, I would be extremely obliged ser/madam.
>>
>>52046358
You can hire me for 4.5$ an hours im a great designer
[email protected]
>>
>>52046358
Dude. That's my first project is to create a decent and fucking free 4chan app for Windows Phone. That's why I want to learn C# programming altogether. I'm trying to make it my second mission in life.
>>
>>52046423
Not really hatred, more like indifference. Why invest your time into platform that shows all signs of becoming obsolete soon?
Anyway, if you're that interested - go for it, by all means. Worst case, you still get C# skills that can be reused to develop Win desktops app - and THESE ones aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
>>
>>52046439
I'll pay you $4.5 an hour to teach me to program ^^
>>
>>52046459
My thoughts exactly. So basically you're also saying that WP 10 primarily works off of C#? Nothing else needed to start WP app development?
>>
>>52046448
Remember that 4chan has a API which makes it easier to do.
>>
>>52046470
>not being able to self-learn
not going to make it with that attitude bruh
>>
>>52046491
Never worked with WP, can't say. I guess there's some SDK/emulator or something.
>>
>>52046491
WP10 is designed to work with C# yes, but there's nothing stopping you from jumping through a lot of hoops to use C++.
There's also the possibility to use HTML5/CSS3/JS.
>>
>>52046505
The ^^ implied jest. However, I have zero issues with getting education from instructors. That being said, most of my knowledge has been gained from self-learning, but its nice to get someone to open the door and point you in the right direction.
>>
>>52046253
"Visual C#" is just C#
>>
>>52046423
I don't know how knowledgeable you are already, but when you start learning c#, also learn Entity Framework (basically database programming, it's easier to learn than ADO.NET which is just "low level" database programming) and ASP.NET which is web applications/back end stuff. Also, learn WPF and NOT winforms

All those things are pretty separate from c# in all books that you're going to learn so it's up to you to somehow connect all those dots and make everything unified into one knowledge

Also, quick tip: it's better to write shit code that works than efficient code that doesn't work. Remember that. When you start learning the biggest goal is to make it work, not make it look nice for someone who reviews it. You're not going to school where you have teacher who values your code, you make apps for people to use it, they don't know how shitty the code behind is.

BUT, keep in mind that end goal is to learn how to make everything more efficient because you will sometime make resource heavy programs which can works 10x faster if you learn algorithms and know how to apply it.

It comes down to this: make shit that works but learn stuff not to make shit anymore
>>
Windows and Windows 10 Mobile dev here.

I'll let you pick my brain for 30 minutes, ask me anything.
>>
>>52046535
Read many a posts saying C++ is the way to go, but like you said, involves many more hoops. As programmers, do you think I should just start with C# or give C++ a shot? Again, primary focus is app development for Windows based systems, with WP focus. It's a real pity cause all the channel9 videos I find in regards to WP app development are all from 2012-2013 and only showing WP 8.1 apps.
>>
>>52046561
SHiiit. Ok, what do I need in Visual Basic 2015 community edition to start programming for WP 10? I got the main program installed but currently crawling around dev.windows.com trying to figure out what SDK or download I need for WP 10 in particular. What programming language do you recommend to start with? And any study material, references, websites/books you recommend? I understand the basics behind programming. I have dabbled with Java, JavaScript and HTML. Just started watching and following along with the intro to C# on Channel9 website, but that's as far as my C# experience has taken me.
>>
>>52046572
>all the channel9 videos I find in regards to WP app development are all from 2012-2013 and only showing WP 8.1 apps

...which is the direct consequence of the platform's growing obsolescence. See, even the owners aren't too keen on bringing more people on the platform - and you'll have more of this in the future.
You want cutting edge - go with Android/iPhone; you want WP - get used to holes here and there.
>>
>>52046499
Ok this is another thing I'm totally trying to wrap my head around. I understand the concept behind app development and website development. But building a mobile app that allows you to browse an already existing website like 4chan and utilizing its API is completely foreign to me. I don't understand how you incorporate an API into your Application and vice versa.
>>
>>52046636
>incorporate an API into your Application and vice versa

app loads
API request - get list of boards, get list of latest posts
get response, handle, display
user clicks /g/
API request - get list of latest posts on /g/, images, texts, timestamps and whatnot
user clicks some post
API request - get list of messages & images

rinse, repeat
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97u6eB4X8yU
This is the closes tutorial I've seen in developing for Windows Phone, but again this is for 8.1 OS. I mean, WP 10 is fairly new no? Only out for the new Lumia 950 phones as of now right? So I'm guessing the fact resources and tutorials are so hard to find is that it's still in the initial phase. If anyone knows of some tutorials in regards to WP 10 that I'm missing out on, let me know please! Greatly appreciative. Also, is XAML a programming language in of itself or just complimentary to C#?
>>
If you want to be hardcore you want to read the latest CLR via C#.
>>
>>52046707
>XAML
Markup language - sort of like HTML.
It's used to build/describe GUIs, but you won't be able to do any actions in it (that'd be C#).
>>
>>52046253
>What makes it "Visual"?

Visual is MS's branding for .NET langs. Originally it was "C#.NET", "C++.NET", etc. but that looks stupid so they changed it to "Visual C#," "Visual C++", "Visual Basic", "Visual J++", etc.
>>
>>52046615
Do you have under project templates (Templates -> Visual C# -> Windows -> Universal) Windows universal (Blank App) template?

If yes, that's all you need. You should also download Windows Mobile emulators so you can test (or not, I skipped through the thread, you have a Lumia 950XL? You go to settings, enable developer mode and use the phone).

I held a ton of student workshops and my suggestion if you got some basic programming knowledge (algorithms and data structures aren't aliens to you, and you know basic OOP concepts), I would go this way:
- C# crash course (get to know all the new goodies of C# 6.0, get a grasp on EntityFramework, LINQ etc)
-get familiar with XAML (seriously, writing quality XAML is 20 times easier than writing quality HTML, and it pays off in the long run (if you lay out your app shitty from the beginning, adding additional features to the layout will be hard))
- Learn to use a kick ass framework like MVVM Light or Prism (I haven't shipped an app that didn't start off with one of those in the past 3 years)

After that you can learn how to make adaptive UIs now that apps are universal (here's a nice blog post about it by a friend of mine http://igrali.com/2015/08/02/three-ways-to-set-specific-devicefamily-xaml-views-in-uwp/ )

And that's pretty much it, you're now a Win dev. Jobs are easy to find because there isn't a lot of competition, and even publishing apps by yourself to the market can yield money if you do your job right.

Best of luck!
>>
>>52046721
So learn C# while learning the newest CLR for .NET framework? Lots of info, and great stuff here guys. Thanks again. Christmas /g/ is awesome.
>>
>>52046707
XAML is a markup language, syntactically similar to XML but used to define Windows-based GUIs.
It's only related in the sense that it's the primary method for WPF front-end building. It can be used with C#, VB, F#, C++, etc.
>>
File: church-dance-o.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
church-dance-o.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>52046757
Thank you so much! Seriously super appreciative. Copying and pasting everything written thus far into my notes. Do you have a website or something for your student workshops? I'm guessing you probably teach advanced courses. Regardless, thanks again for your time, and merry Christmas.
>>
>>52046757
What is the difference between mvvm and mvvm light?
>>
WP dev again, skipped some more through the thread, so I'll demystify some more:

- anyone who has done anything with WPF (Windows desktop apps) will have an edge over complete noobs, because the stack is pretty much the same (XAML for UI, C# for the logic)

- Win 10 can be installed for free (no dev accounts needed) onto the majority of Lumia devices over the Insider program. The last Insider builds are the same that Lumia 550/950/950XL are getting officially

- if you've done any WP8/8.1 development, nothing much changed, it just got more universal

- Silverlight is dead, leave Silverlight alone... and so is XNA :(
>>
>>52046757
And yes I do have those templates. I was getting confused primarily because the Windows Phone 8.1 had its own template so I had figured the Windows phone 10 would have its own as well in VS. Once again, you've been awesome thank you so much.
>>
>>52046814
MVVM is the OOP pattern to separate your data models (Model) and business logic (ViewModel) from presentation layer (View).

MVVM Light is an open source toolkit/framework (http://www.mvvmlight.net/) that gives you everything you need to start your app the proper way.

ViewModelLocator is an IoC that contains all your ViewModels, and your Views bind to them (install MVVM Light for VS2015 - Go to Tools -> Extensions and Updates -> left side "Online" and search for it).

After installing MVVM Light, restart VS, and there should be a new template in Universal Apps (MVVM Light template).

Open it and browse a bit around, it's fairly intuitive, and once you grasp the concept, you'll be able to write clean, maintainable and flexible code.

I swear, out of all the platforms, Windows is the cheapest to develop to (science has proven iOS takes 30% less effort than Android (https://infinum.co/the-capsized-eight/articles/android-development-is-30-percent-more-expensive-than-ios) but I swear, WP takes even less effort).
>>
>>52046815
hi wp dev

is it possible to make websites with XAML?
I want to start making some web stuff (for personal use, mainly) but I love C#/XAML too much to want to abandon it
>>
>>52046895
Nope :(

The best you can do is jump on the MVC bandwagon, develop your M and C in C# (Models and Controllers) and your Views in HTML/CSS/JS.

That's why I jumped ship 5ish years ago from Web dev and jumped onto WP7.

So far it paid off nicely. And seeing what's up when it comes to web and all this frontend bullshit, hipster JS frameworks, everything being apha 0.0.2.1 but used in production. Makes me wanna vomit.
>>
>>52046923
Hm, that's a shame. The idea of actually programming a website instead of just designing it (similar to LaTeX v. MS Word from my point of view) always appealed to me, but I guess it's still just a dream.

Guess I'll just stick to making calculators in Qt.
>>
>>52046825
Yes, WP8/8.1 is separate from Windows 10.

Back in the 8/8.1 days, there was a pull to make apps universal, some logic could be shared, but not everything.

Now with Win 10 it's Universal as fuck (desktop, mobile, IoT, Xbox). I Shipped one app that works on desktop, mobile and RPi, only thing I had to do device specific, is the mobile UI.

But yeah, if you're starting to learn now, go Win10 all the way. By the time you ship apps, Win10 will have the majority of the marketshare. Adoption was always quick on Windows Phone.
>>
>>52046923
Could you clarify Entity framework and ADO.NET, i can figure out what to use, is it *either* one or *both* could be used. Is one more current (like winforms and WPF) or are they both used nowadays?
>>
>>52046881
>http://www.mvvmlight.net/
Just did it. Thank you Mr. Dev. Starting tomorrow I'm allocating a minimum of 3 hours a day to learning all this stuff.
>>
>>52046955
How do you make universal app for desktop and mobile, i mean UI is totally different. Is only so called front end different but everything in the back is the same?
>>
>>52046978
Pretty much. Uniapps let you define different UIs for different target platforms - one of the benefits of having XAML separate from C#.
>>
I'm on the same boat as OP. I'm learning C# but i'm struggling with the post-beginner topics because the books I'm reading don't give practical examples on how to use the concept they teach like structs, abstract classes, etc.
Is there any book that gives practical examples instead of just teaching the theory?
>>
>>52047008
is it possible to make uniapps on win7 with vs2015?
>>
>>52046955
>go to install universal app tools
>10GB

fucking what
>>
>>52046978
Yeah, that's one of the main goals of responsive design.

It's good to make w10 apps support small/mobile sizes in general, so that you can resize the window to a small size and still use the app. Groove music is a good example.
>>
>>52047029
http://www.introprogramming.info/english-intro-csharp-book/

not all but it has its fair share of examples
>>
>>52046965
When you pic one, stick to one. ADO.NET is awesome if you're awesome at SQL and can write performant stored procedures, queries etc... EF enables your DB access code to be in the source control, lately it's been updated and is nice when it comes to performance as well...

My pick is EF, love it. Also, never had a project where for some reason, both types of accessing were used.

>>52046978

As mentioned already, take a read at http://igrali.com/2015/08/02/three-ways-to-set-specific-devicefamily-xaml-views-in-uwp/ probably the best blog post when it comes to that.
>>
>>52047052
What do you think about ASP and all that jazz, afaik ASP.NET MVC is pretty goat but somehow i think people like to bash on regular ASP.NET. Also what the fuck is razor?
>>
>>52046491
yes
>>
>>52047052
Are you Santa Claus? Cause you're bestowing a lot of gifts upon us considering the time. Well its PST here. Either way thanks. I finally found the WP emulator as well. Going to give that shot.
>>
>>52047052
I'd like yo point out that as long as your database isn't too complex, visual studio lets you add Database Projects that can track the schema of databases you point it at, script deployments/seed scripts, etc. These can be in source control, obviously. I've seen them used to map existing databases for use with EF, too.

That being said, use EF if you can. If you're more comfortable designing a DB from scratch, use Database Projects to bring it in and use EF to access the data
>>
>>52047083
Razor is the syntax to connect the Model/Controller part with your view.

I love MVC (specially WebAPI for my mobile backedns). I'd never start a blank ASP.NET project tho. There's too much goodness in a MVC project (easy to integrate authentication with FB/Twitter/G+), awesome basic skeleton you just throw some meat on and it lives.
>>
>>52046572
DONT LEARN C++!!! for what you want c# is perfect.you can build terminal apps,graphicsal apps,server back-ends,windows phone apps ,kinect programming,hololens programming and many more shit with it. DONT LEARN C++.
>>
>>52047118
I usually go the code first approach, and just add migrations when/if I change the model.

But yeah, sorry for not stating that. Cheers!

>>52047105
Sharing is caring!
>>
>>52047133
Is there anything you hate or you should think it's about to die in .net?
>>
>>52047172
Winforms should choke on dicks, and web form should join that orgy and die.

Looking forward to the new EntityFramework, and .NET core living on Linux, because Win Server should also choke on dicks when it comes to small projects and spinning up a VM to host a simple backed projects (we will see if this changes now, apparently a headless Server Core is coming that will be minimalistic on resources).
>>
WP dev here, gotta run now.

Happy developing folks, I'll keep an eye on /g/ for threads like this, and an eye on /dpt/ (even tho I hate general threads like the pest). Keep posting questions, you might get answers like today.

Cheers!
>>
>>52047153
Thanks for that before I started reading up and buying C++ material.
>>
>>52046277

THIS!

Don't bother with anything else, this is perfect for getting into C# as your first language
>>
>>52046423
Eh fuck wp I'm in it for windows 10, /g/ can hate on it all they want not going to stop me from trying to contribute a few things to its store while also releasing a few of them on android and ios through xamerian or visual c++ with opengl
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.