[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm upgrading my motherboard and processor tomorrow and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1450829875211.jpg (43 KB, 481x640) Image search: [Google]
1450829875211.jpg
43 KB, 481x640
I'm upgrading my motherboard and processor tomorrow and I'm gonna need to ditch my old windows license. I've been thinking of switching to Linux (I've had mint in a VM for a few years now) but I don't know if I'm ready for the switch. Should I install Mint over wangblows, and have a pirated version in a VM for muh gaymes, or should I dual boot?
>>
Dual Boot desu senpai, there will come a tired when you will be tired of the linux shit and just wanna do stuff, that's what Windows is for.
>>
File: 1405087201347.jpg (39 KB, 323x267) Image search: [Google]
1405087201347.jpg
39 KB, 323x267
Gentoo
>>
you won't be able to game in a VM, no matter how good your computer is. Dual boot. Just switch to Windows when you want to game. If you have an SSD rebooting into a different OS will be just as fast as booting up a VM.
>>
>>52044511
you can use your license on this new setup. it will disable it on the old setup. just so you only use it on one computer at a time, you can't use it for both.
>>
>>52044528
Good point. Nice go have a backup option. I have a 120gb ssd for windows, and a TB of storage (3/4 full). How could I dual boot with this? I wouldn't want to put anything else on my ssd, but could I (safely) repartition my TB? Or I could grab another ssd..

I was thinking of grabbing a 250gb 850 EVO, which OS should go on which drive?

How much storage does a normal Mint install use (with necessary programs)?
>>
>>52044603
Grab a cheapo 120gb ssd for linux imo.
If you do buy a 250GB use it for Windows.
>>
Just thought of this now...

If I backup my wangblows now (120gb) could I restore it to a new installation on the 250gb?
>>
>>52044650
dude why the fuck do you need a 250gb for windoze?
>>
>>52044749
Idk. I was thinking I could put some other programs on my ssd to have them load faster... I don't think that's an issue though. I'll grab a 120g for linicks.

Anyone have experience with the whole dual booting situation? How does that work? Do you choose the disk from the BIOS? Can you have grub/windows choose a separate disk?
>>
>>52044806
I had dual boot on the same disk before, you just choose the system. I think you can just install the grub on the disk with windows.
>>
>>52044828
I'll do some more research.. I'd be fine choosing from the BIOS.
>>
>>52044555
What is pcie passthrough nigger
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.