[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how did i do, g.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: NK.png (154 KB, 1192x848) Image search: [Google]
NK.png
154 KB, 1192x848
how did i do, g.
>>
self bumb

dual Xeon E5-2670's, in a lenovo thinkstation d30 mobo. 410 bucks.

in total 16 actual cores and 32 threads at 2.6-3.3ghz with 20 megabyte internal cache per cpu.
>>
Why?
>>
>>52041561
To run his mine craft server.
>>
>>52041561

can you be more specific?

i'm going to be running a lot of software at one time. as i learn more about computers i realize its a lot less about clock speed and more about bandwidth and accessability.

that motherboard is actually a lenovo branded supermicro board. it can handle incredible throughput on the busses.

i will never purchase a CPU with a GPU inside of it.

its going to be used for digital signal processing and rendering.
>>
Looks good and cheap. How much does it cost in total? Might spend my tax return on that
>>
>>52041693

410 altogether. the seller i just bought the mobo from listed another and the storefront that i got the cpu's from has dozens of them.

those CPU's cost 1600 new, and that motherboard costs about 800.

what your money gets you when buying used enterprise grade hardware is incredible. i paid 400 for 4000 dollars worth of stuff. i would recommend it to anyone that doesn't just want to run crysis 3 on ultra. a 900 dollar i7 is still better at gaming probably. but i imagine if i felt like it i could run all of the current games on average settings with a good framerate. i don't play games anymore though.

i've spent almost a month researching to come to the conclusion. 2690s are a bit more powerful but cost about 500 apiece, and the X5687s use inferior chipsets. 2689w's are good but kinda hard to find reliably, whereareas the market is flooded with 2670s. they're the 3rd ranking of premier 2600 section and were very popular, and you know, server houses upgrade and just dump warehouses full of hardware on ebay for cheap.
>>
update. thinking about getting a liquid cooling setup for these. the cooler you keep them the faster they go.

definitely not submerging my computer in mineral oil like some people do.
>>
>>52042278
Mineral oil doesn't even cool as well as water
>>
>>52042369
that would depend on how much you invested in making it move over, and radiate, i guess.
>>
>>52042418
also, you can get an inline water chiller.

or just use a cooler chest full of ice and water as your resevoir. keep the computer cool by continually adding ice. also beer.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.