[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/. I'm trying to decide between arch linux and gentoo.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: arc&gentoo.png (171 KB, 1095x479) Image search: [Google]
arc&gentoo.png
171 KB, 1095x479
Hey /g/. I'm trying to decide between arch linux and gentoo. Discuss pls.
>>
Install Trisquel
>>
>>52041239

Do you mind compiling packages, or would you prefer binary packages?
>>
>>52041239
Install Trisquel
>>
install mint
>>
>meme os
>edgy tryhard os
>>
>>52041317
typically binary, though pretty indifferent.
>>
>>52041339
What alternative would you suggest, anon?
>>
>>52041362
Fedora
>>
>>52041354
>typically binary, though pretty indifferent.

What are your specs? For Gentoo you will be have to compile most of your software. Arch has binary packages, but if you're going to be using a binary distro, you might as well go with Debian (for stability) or Fedora (up to date vanilla software).
>>
>>52041373
Why?
>>
>>52041377
low fag laptop. Intel B960, 4 GB DDR3, 500 HDD. Is package handling the main difference between OS?
>>
>>52041239
I'm using Arch, but if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to backup my files, I would switch to Gentoo.
No Systemd bullshit.
>>
>>52041239
I use gentoo in my every day laptop, I like fine tuning and compiling. I have a few machines running 24/4 with Arch its a great distro and the installation is fast so is cheap to install and reinstall in new disks and machines. Both are great distros, I recommend gentoo for the most used computer though if it can get most of you're care, it is worth it
>>
>>52041239
You want to see the world burn.
>>
>>52041461
How much of a benefit does compilation actually provide compared to binary packages?
>>
>>52041439

Yeah, compiling software might be a pain on that. You would want to stick with arch in this case.
>>
Funtoo
>>
>>52041417
Because all the cool kids are using it
>>
File: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (88 KB, 1183x1024) Image search: [Google]
nixos-logo-only-hires.png
88 KB, 1183x1024
NixOS is the only true answer.
>>
>>52041490
some small speed gains but tailoring the software to only what you need really cuts down on package size
>>
>>52041239
gentoo is pretty cool and interesting, but if you have to ask, it's not the right thing for you. not for serious use anyway.
go with arch.
>>
File: 94f.png (121 KB, 680x497) Image search: [Google]
94f.png
121 KB, 680x497
Op, here. Thanks /g/uys. Mostly serious and informative answers.
>>
>>52041493
> gentoo for kids
>>
Gentoo, has a better community and a weaker wiki compared to Arch.
regarding the distros, it's just a matter of choice, if you have the time to learn about a new system a great package manager, and don't mind compiling your shit, then Gentoo is perfect.
Arch is just arch, every year it's user base increases a little untill all people doing lanox will be using it
>>
Why not Sabayon? Literally the best of both
>>
>>52042149

Isn't it abandoned?
>>
>>52041339
>edgy tryhard OS

What does this even mean?
>>
>>52042313
people primarily use arch when they want to stick to those n00buntu fags and fit in with the cool kidz
>>
What about openSuSE Tumbleweed? Rolling release distro with more helpful gui tools such as YaST(sort of like a control panel for your entire system) and zypper package management.

This is more of a contender with Fedora than Arch, as both F & oS are tested, rolling release distros with corporate backing and enterprise usage, whereas Arch is bare minimum.
>>
>>52041239
Both are half-baked easily breakable distros.
One at least isn't a luddite one.
>>
>>52041417
Because is by far the most polished distro.
>>
>>52041555
post your uname -r
>>
I currentlt use gentoo like my own private binary distro. I have an octocore server and a quad core server both running gentoo in a distcc swarm that I've automated to build binary packages for my laptop.

If you have time to setup, gentoo. If you need it now, arch.
>>
>>52041239
dont fall for the meme
>>
File: gdog.jpg (111 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
gdog.jpg
111 KB, 720x960
>>52041239
They're pretty much the same hipster barely usable shit distros. Go for Mint MATE if you want it to just werk or Debian Testing if you want it to just werk + learn about GNULinux.
>>
>>52044178
>barely usable

I know this is bait but once you get Arch set up then there's really nothing else you have to do. It's not some maintenance nightmare or huge timesink, it just werks (unless you do something silly like use AMD's proprietary graphics drivers). I'm sure Gentoo is the same way.
>>
>>52043368
>Easily breakable
Been running Arch for years and it still hasn't broken once
>>
Arch does everything gentoo does faster and easier.

If you dont want systemD install void linux.
>>
>>52045443
Yeah, I don't get that meme. I actually did manage to break X once, but it was just me being retarded, enabling multilib-testing without multilib.
>>
>>52045623
*without testing repos
>>
>>52044178
I don't know about Gentoo but pretty much anyone that's tech literate enough to come to /g/ can install Arch and get it up and running
>>
>not using guixsd
Enjoy your obsolete package managers
>>
>>52045524
>rebuild all packages without dbus is easy on arch
>>
>>52041373
I thought that proprietary drivers were harder to install in Fedora than Arch (AMD)
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.