[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Distros for beginners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1449623217219.jpg (106 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1449623217219.jpg
106 KB, 540x960
I just bought and assembled my new new pc, and because i just used all my money building it, i have none left for OS (stupid, I know). Wondering what linux distros you nerds recommend for someone whose only used windows their whole life and is mostly using it for gaming. I want something where I can just start it up, go on steam, and play my games. Thanks in advance.
>>
Mint
>>
Mint, download steam from the repository (kind of like an app-store, or download from the steam website) and there are many games there. But You might want to get windows eventually to run the rest of your games.

Look at different screenshots and take one you think look best. Ubuntu is also great ones to start with. There are different versions. Mint comes in Cinnamon and MATE and ubuntu comes with unity, xfce (xubuntu), kde (kubuntu), gnome 3 (ubuntu gnome, which I use) and some more. the different versions does a couple of different things, but mainly how your OS looks like, so have a look at the screenshots and take one you like most, you can of course change it a lot anyway. Just a little advice.

Both mint and Ubuntu should have steam easily set up and have drivers and such things ready to use. Welcome, feel free to ask questions in our "friendly linux thread" if you have any questions.
>>
remember if you ever install windows, take backup of everything, because windows is completely stupid and will delete everything on your disk if you install. But after installing windows you can install linux again and dual boot. (choose either linux or windows when you boot your computer)
>>
> Built mostly for gaming

Just 'acquire' windows.
>>
Install nvidias proprietary drivers if you want more than 10fps in game
>>
>>52039084
>Linux
http://www.nask.co/W/aLL8VC9lSE
>>
>>52039251
yeah just install "non-free" (free as in freedom) drivers. they are better for gaming. which is also one of the reasons why mint and ubuntu are good choices.
>>
If you can't buy Windows, use something like Dazloader. Linux is good for a lot of things, but it's pretty crap for gaymen.
>>
Just fucking pirate it.
>>
>>52039084
SteamOS, maybe?
>>
>>52039292
the real question is, and the only real reason why I'm not pirating it, is because i want to set a background. So, can I set a background on dazloader. I know it sounds stupid but whatever.
>>
Mint for Debian / Ubuntu type
Manjaro for archlinux type

Both are excellent and have live cd installers.
>>
KMSpico.v10.0.10240.Beta.-.Windows.10.Activation-MG

and windows 10 can be found on sunxdcc.com
>>
>>52039637
merry christmas
>>
>>52039502
It's exactly like using a regular version of Windows.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.