[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tried to installing Ubuntu onto computer with Windows 10 on it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 598x343) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 598x343
Tried to installing Ubuntu onto computer with Windows 10 on it for dual booting. Now I can't access Windows boot. I used proteus on a usb to see if my files were still there and they are but I can't boot into Windows itself. Help me /g/ you're my only hope . I honestly don't care about my files anymore. I just want a working Windows install
>>
What bootloader are you using?
>>
>>52035039
For Windows? The default Windows bootloader. I'm not really sure what you mean. I have basically no experience with Linux or OS in depth
>>
>>52035025
save all your important files. That is the first thing you should do.

It sounds like something is wrong, and you should probably do something to fix it. to know what is wrong and what you should do then we need any errors you get or a description of what happens and so on.

It should not have been a problem.
>>
>>52035054
>No experience with Linux
>Doesn't install on a VM first.
Really OP? What bootloader is being displayed? It's likely that the windows option is commented out.
>>
>It sounds like something is wrong, and you should probably do something to fix it

great observation desu senpai

>>52035025
post pics of what you see when it boots
>>
>>52035097
I'm not a smart man

>>52035077
I think it's grub
>>
>>52035100
When it boots it goes right into bios
>>
>>52035136
Go to terminal and type less /etc/default/grub and post results here.
>>
>>52035100
>great observation desu senpai

It is the best possible observation a expert can take, OP has not provided any error messages or descriptions of what happens when he boots up.

Anyone who says something other than "It sounds like something is wrong, and you should probably do something to fix it" is talking out of their ass.
>>
>install ubuntu, the most noob friendly linux distro
>it fucks up boot
>28 times backspace quality

Freetards will defend this
>>
OP here! I recovered my files! Thanks soo much for the help, please close this thread.
>>
>>52035136
Check to see that you dont have a usb drive inserted or anything. And adjust the bios to install from your rregular harddrive.
>>
>>52035221
Out of curiosity, what was the issue?
>>
>>52035221
Great do your boot function normally now?
>>
>>52035243
Not actually OP lol
>>52035187
No such directory
>>
>>52035243
>>52035235
I put the HDD in another PC, recovered personal files, then formatted and installed windows 10. I'm just redo loading programs now and then I'm set :)
>>
>>52035283
Probably was just grub skipping the windows partition but if you want to do it the hard way, your choice.
>>
>>52035311
It's not actually OP
>>
>>52035311
I don't know much about pulers, so I'm certain that any way would be "the hard way".
I was mainly worried about all my documents which I have now so I'm happy enough
>>
>>52035283
I wonder what the problem was, never heard about a issue where you could not boot after installing ubuntu even when you did not install over thw windows partition. It should be set up automatically
>>
>>52035025
Get a windows boot disk and use all partitions. Are there people who literally don't know how to click next a few times to install windows who browse /g/?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.