[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Laptop fight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: laptop.jpg (35 KB, 500x457) Image search: [Google]
laptop.jpg
35 KB, 500x457
Ok /g/ i know this isn't my personal tech support so i came here with a more philosophical question.
My old HP laptop died a few months ago and i should by another one soon. I'm a poorfag, so my budget is quite low. I use PCs mainly for browsing (as everyone) but often i do graphic design, video editing, 3d and other heavy activities. I don't need a powerful laptop since i have a desktop for heavy tasks but a little bit of horsepower and a nice screen are welcomed.
So what do you think is better, a well made used once good laptop with it's high end but old components or a new entry level laptop with it's low end but new components?
>>
>>52032672
also yes, i took 1 minute to realize pic related
>>
>>52032672
OP here, i need to go out for a moment, i hope you'll discuss guys, i'll bump when i'll be back
>>
Man, go for the used one, give it another life
>>
>>52032709
yeah, that's what i was thinking, my old laptop was previously my dad's one and under my reign (even with its shitty specs) it did a lot of interesting stuff, if that thing had a soul i bet it would have fun
>>
Definitely used, check this out:

http://ktgee.net/post/49423737148/thinkpad-guide

There are also HP Elitebook and Dell guides too.
>>
>>52033145
thanks, but help me, what do you consider better between thinkpads, elitebook and dell?
usually elitebook (since they've mostly made with aluminium outside) look better while the more plastic thinkpads and dell looks more used, also they're very cheap where i live (HP is stronger and probably sold more of them to companies) but i heard they tend to overheat
>>
>second hand laptop
>semen
>semen everywhere
>>
>>52033303
yeah i'm afraid of this,but the first thing i'd do is clean it completely
>>
>>52032672
>"i know this isnt my personal tech support"
>asks for tech support anyway
>"w-well it's not REALLY 'tech support' it's a philosophical question"
fuck off narcissist
>>
>>52033347
tech support would be "Hey i need a laptop for facebook and spread femminism on the web what do i buy" or "how to get rid of those ads on youtube".
i'm asking a true opinion, that's different you moron
>>
>>52033261
Honestly they're all basically the same, as long as you're looking at equivalent generation models. Thinkpads have the best trackpoints and great community support. Elitebooks look modern and are pretty durable, second only to rugged shit like Toughbooks. I can't say I know much about Latitudes/Precisions, but a quick look at the buyer's guide shows that they offer actual 13" models. Thinkpads only had a short run with 13" models and Elitebooks don't seem to offer them at all, so if you prefer 13" over 12 or 14, Latitudes would be the place to look. Just get whichever you prefer that you can find the best deal on.
>>
>>52032672
Go for the old and proven always with laptops, especially if you're willing to install linux on it. A proven laptop revitalized with a lightweight linux distro is about the comfiest damn thing. It's like Valhalla for computers.
>>
thanks, another thing that concerns me is performances, what do you think about let's say 1st gen i5? right now as a laptop i'm using my mom's HP wiht a 7w ULV CPU, i like it cause thanks to HW acceleration it seems quite smooth, i can't say the same my old laptop with its C2D, it was faster when doing hard work (rendering) but it looked slower in everyday tasks.
Also, should i aim to those with a quadro GPU for video editing or an i5 is enough?

ok i'm afraid now i'm asking for tech support
>>
>>52034044
I never noticed any CPU bottlenecks when I was using my Thinkpad T510 with an i5 540m, but I didn't push it too hard either. I'd go for a second gen if possible, Sandy Bridge is still on par with Broadwells for performance and since it uses the same socket as Ivy Bridge you're much more futureproofed, although at this point I only know of a BIOS mod specifically for the T420 that lets you actually do this. Wouldn't surprise me if it came to the other Sandy Bridge era Thinkpads, but I wouldn't expect it for Elitebooks or Latitudes, since they don't have the same dedicated fanbase as Thinkpads.

I'm not sure what sort of workload is involved with video editing as the most I've done is fuck around once or twice in Windows Movie Maker for a couple of stupid vidya clips, but generally you're better off with the dGPU than without, especially on those older models prior to Ivy Bridge. Integrated GPUs were really anemic shit before HD 4000.
>>
>>52034312
trust me, i''ve been editing videos for years now and i still don't have a parameter to judge if a CPU is enough or not, basically everything that's not my fx6350 i use on my desktop is shit, things are better if you manage to activate the mercury engine on HW on premiere
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.