[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Careers for a dropout in tech industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: college--diploma--hat-jpg.jpg (32 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
college--diploma--hat-jpg.jpg
32 KB, 640x360
Hey /g/, I'm dropping out of college. I'm a sophomore in CS and have good grades-- just don't feel like college is really that useful. What are some careers in the IT field I could get?
>>
>>52032046
go be an IT person in any other field where everyone else is computer-illiterate
>>
Helpdesk @ Everywhere
>>
Yeah u can be a janitor or a help desk monkey
>>
>>52032046
If you have to ask this question, you probably shouldn't be dropping out of college.
>>
>>52032080
>
fair point, but college really doesn't seem like the right move. obviously there's startups which I'll try to get into, but i'm just looking for other paths.
>>
You need to get some certs to show you just aren't some video gamer pleb kid who thinks gaming = tech. "I built a gaming rig before. I can IT". Honestly, without any credentials you are just a bum off the street. I'd recommend milking the system for money and stealing the education.
>>
>>52032094
>fair point
>but doesnt seem like the right move
what?
>>
>>52032094
If you don't think this thing through and don't have a job lined up, you're fucking yourself over. Don't do something you'll regret.
>>
>>52032046
Search for louis rossman on youtube
>>
>>52032046
You can get a job as a developer if you're talented and charismatic enough. No sane HR person will give you an interview with the way you probably look on paper, but if you meet the right people and convince them you can code, you can probably get some work until you build up a resume that speaks for itself.

Do make sure to keep your ego in check when you tell people why you dropped out. "I didn't feel like college is really that useful" is not a winning story for why you dropped out. I used to give that as my reason until I realized that people were getting the impression that I was a green kid too big for his britches (which I was.)

The story I use now is "I couldn't afford college anymore, so I decided to start working as a software developer to make some money and go back. I'm having too much fun with it right now to quit and get my degree, so I'm not sure when I'll go back to school, but I definitely will eventually."

The college degree is the word of God to older generations, so you have to at least pretend to respect and believe in its merit. And honestly, with the story I give for dropping out, people tend to want to hire me even more, if only to support my noble goal of getting a degree (which I will probably never get).

Oh, and get really comfy with JavaScript because it's a good way to get your foot in the door with "trendy" companies that won't mind hiring dropouts.
>>
>>52033693
>>52032046
You people overestimate the value of the degree. It's good thing to add in your resume, and fill your resume. It required to bypass a HR's bullshit filter system too, but it's not the end to be all.

There is many issues with college degree these days. Such as issues with being unqualified for white collar jobs, but overqualified for Mcjobs. Or issues like employers ignoring graduates because they value work experience more. Not to mention the cost college is more then what the job market can actually provide.

Finally you could fuck up, forget about internships impact your job search. Also, you could find jobs with employers who want dropout to get degrees using the pay benefits for tuition .
>>
If i just have high school can i be a full time help desk monkey?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.