[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Microphone General /mg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.png (3 MB, 1600x5592) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 MB, 1600x5592
Mic thread, post em fags.

Also, don't use vocaroo. It appears to use compression methods that quite noticeably decrease audio quality. Clypit does, too, but not half as bad, it seems.

Heil PR40 through a Focusrite Sapphire 18i20
https://clyp.it/22jqx0mk
>>
>>52031781
Is there a way to achieve some sort of background noise cancellation, when using a condenser mic? I'm in the market for an AT2020, but I don't want to drive my listeners insane with the background noise from my PC or bumping around from my roommate.
>>
>>52032422
There are noise removal tools in most DAWs, but they're not perfect. Just record a few seconds of silence with your mic on, and you should be able to use that to set the baseline and adjust. In audacity, it's called "truncate noise", in most others, it's just noise removal
>>
>>52032490
Thanks, just looked it up, and that looks really promising. This was really the only concern I had getting this, but it seems it's not much of a problem.
It seems I'm getting a mic this January then.
>>
>>52032608
No problem anon.
No other questions?
>>
I was told here is the best place to ask.
I'm planning to make a few ASMR videos, that's whay I'm looking for binaural microphone, but it seem very expensive.
Is there an alternative? or should I save up for 2000$ 3Dio?
>>
>>52031781
You should add in the Xty mic for the inevitable people that just want a cheap ass microphone for VOIP
>>
>>52032790
OP here.
That's a very specific topic, that I don't feel conformable giving advice about. I belive there's an ASMR subreddit. I hate to redirect you, especially to leddit, but I'm not knowledgeable enough in the topic to give advice
>>
>>52033754
Thanks, I though I could find cheaper alternatives here.
I use a cheap chinese earphones with mic to record and use audacity to edit it.
It's mostly NSFW.
One more questions do mic only plug works on the audio jack for T420?
>>
Hey OP, I had a look at the guide and wondering if there is a cheap alternative to the blue snowball since I feel like that's an overkill for gaming and streaming. Any ideas of what else I could get?
>>
>>52034336
The snowball isn't really overkill for streaming, I'd say it's just about right. If you don't want it, though, any decent headset mic will do, and will actually probably reduce room noise, since headset mics are usually just cheap dynamic mics
>>
>>52034336
http://eud.dx.com/search/xty

I have this mic, its pretty good
Just cut off the headphone cord, and sticky tape it to your headphones
>>
>>52034336
$50 isn't overkill
>>
>>52034597
>>52034583
>>52034566
I already have a headset mic but it's really shit and just sounds bad, but my thing is that it's $50 and that's £45 here. I was just hoping to get something cheap that sounds actually decent. I also have a Logitech mic that's like one your supposed to hold in your hand but for some reason I cannot be more than 3cm away from it otherwise it gets too quiet when I have boosted it maximum in software. Some people said I can change the amp on it but I fuck knows how to do that.
>>
>>52034675
Sounds like the one you have is a dynamic. It's supposed to get quiet when far away. I suppose you could search for something cheaper, but if a headset mic isn't good enough, and you already can't afford a snowball, I can't be much help to you
>>
>>52031781
What do they mean when they say a ribbon mic requires a "clean" preamp?
>>
>>52035098
As in a pre that doesn't make much noise. You'll hear a sort of white noise on cheaper preamps, that gets worse with added gain. Ribbon mics need lots of gain, making the noise much more prevalent. Cleaner pre = less noise at high gain levels
>>
>>52031781
Great guide, op. Been thinking about getting a Scarlett solo and a rode protester anyway and this makes me want it more
>>
>>52035003
Thanks for the advice man, so there is no way I can do anything about making it louder?
>>
So I know this isn't on the list here but I have a Zoom H5 portable mic and I was wondering of you guys knew if there was some way to cancel out lower frequencies so I don't get as much static or background noise.
>>
I'm using the snowball atm but I'm not really happy with it to be honest. Not having gain control fucking sucks, I need low gain to kull background noise so I don't send it all over the ts server.
>>
>>52038751
You use Windows? Go into your recording devices (same place as system volume) and I'm pretty sure you can adjust it, there. If not, try a digital audio cable software
>>
>>52038236
Change the capsule, maybe, but idk what that would entail on a USB mic, and I doubt theres any easy way to supply phantom power to a condenser capsule in a mic that's meant to be a dynamic
>>
>>52038822
I don't know what any of that means, you mean the thick black thing near the USB plug on the cable?
>>
>>52038857
If you don't know what a capsule is, this project isn't for you. I'm not even sure it's possible to be honest
>>
https://clyp.it/k4yrpdgt

at2020 plugged into scarlett 2i2
>>
>>52038889
I am not autistic just never spent time doing anything sound related, if there is thing I could look up on how to do this that would be great senpai I can probably do it
>>
>>52038953
Like I said, I'm not even sure it's possible, but look up mic mods, particularly for your specific microphone, and do a bit of research on parts of the mic and what they do.

>>52038933
Sounds breddy gud, your rooms fairly quiet. I might upload my 4040 in a bit.
>>
>>52038999
I had to set it low because music is blasting upstairs
>>
>>52038999
All right thanks, and if I get the snowball I won't need anything else right, I can just have it like 100cm away from my face and it will sound good right?
>>
>>52039056
No worries, sounded just right. High gain =/= better sound

>>52039064
For what you plan to do, yes, but shop around anyway, man. Listen to mic tests, and look for streamers using the snowball to see if it's right for you.
>>
So /g/, why haven't you designed your very own low budget high performance microphone like NwAvGuy did with his O2 amp?

How hard would it be to create something like it?
>>
>>52039121
All right thanks senpai, if thread is still up I will post what I ended up with
>>
>>52039161
Not hard, at all, if you start with a cheap base. Just buy you own capsule, capacitor, and occasionally even modify the circuit board on older models. Or you can use just the case, buy your own components and create a Frankenstein monster. The replacing the capsule is by far the easiest and most effective mod
>>
>>52038787
You can do that but that's recording level and not gain.
>>
>>52039344
True, but it didn't come with any sort of software controls? Even a soft slider or anything? Idk if maybe there's a way to increase gain via software, but I'd assume there would be something like that, that would just increase voltage that way, rather than via hardware potentiometer
>>
>>52032422
Use a gate.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbmh1xadrzo
is this just placebo?
>>
>>52041201
Yes and no. Lots of people use voicemeeter, but for different reasons. He's going through a lot of hassle for just a little gain, and he's using some half assed settings, but it's still a good program.
>>
>>52031781
Excellent guide op, you make this?
Also that mic sounds sweet, holy shit
>>
>>52031781
Re20 "colors" vocals for a tad too much. I do college radio and it's great for broadcasting, not so much for characters or LPs (if you're into that fun stuff, friend)
>>
>>52031781
Does senpai hate Samson?

I've got better results from the meteorite than the snowball. Both are fucked up in shape, but the samson looks better and takes up a shitload less space, which I think would be better than the snowball for a beginner mic. Same price range too usually. Iunno, at least consider it so that there's some more options for people out there.
>>
>>52043692
Read the disclaimer. "this list is not, and will never be absolute... If you don't see your mic here, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good mic, it's just not as widely known as the mics listed"
>>
>>52042855
Yeah, it's not marketed as anything but a broadcaster mic. It does what its meant to do extremely well, and doesn't claim to be the best for every job; the mark of a great mic.
>>
I'm thinking I'll probably update the list, eventually, to include the Samson. I'll likely get rid of the Apogee, and expand the USB section a bit, since /g/ really seems to like using USB mics. I wish someone would do an interface guide in the same format, since I don't really have the time to do a whole other guide
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.