[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/. I'm starting full time work un Unity in Jan 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 17 me.png (834 KB, 719x960) Image search: [Google]
17 me.png
834 KB, 719x960
Sup /g/. I'm starting full time work un Unity in Jan 2016 and I need to build a workstation. I know what parts I'm getting but since you guys are so autistic over some certain bits of hardware I thoguht I'd get your advice.

Firstly SSDs. I will be using ~256GB SSD as my main drive, plus a 1TB HDD for other stuff. You can try and talk me out of it if you like, but what I want to know is which consumer model SSD I should go for, and why.

Secondly, I've been debating over a 960 or 980 GTX. The 960 is comparable to my previous 680 with very similar benchmark results, and that card was fine, so do I really need to pay over twice as much for the 980?

Bonus Round: Should I take the plunge into Win10? I use Arch, Debian and Win7 at the moment. I'm a lot more comfy with Arch but I don't want any headaches when trying to develop in Unity day-to-day (they do have a native linux beta).
>>
>>52030822
/g/ is not meant for tech support. use the various part picker websites to check your build for bottlenecks and mismatch. Make your own decisions.
>>
>>52030822
buy a thinkpad, install gentoo, drop unity and develop your game from scratch in C + OpenGL API. You can thank me later
>>
>>52030949
Part pickers don't explain why /g/ freaks out whenever someone mentions SSD.

>>52030974
I've got some experience developing C++/DirectX, up to implementing some basic shaders. I'm not interested in writing my own renderer, let alone an entire engine.
>>
>>52031029
Golden Rule: Always do opposite of what /g/ says. They are all fucking faggots who shill for their most recent purchase to prevent buyers remorse.
>>
File: EULA.png (581 KB, 545x711) Image search: [Google]
EULA.png
581 KB, 545x711
>>52031039
No worries senpai, I know how to identify retarded autists who don't offer any solid objective advice. I realise that this place is 50% shitposts and 49% bots, but there is still the occasional person with a few brain cells that might help a coder out on Christmas Eve.
>>
>>52031029
well enjoy your bloated unity and the unusable abortion of a game that will come out of it. Do you think Carmack would have used Unity to make doom?
>>
>>52031029
SSD is fine. It has faster read/write, just avoid putting your pagefile or swapfile on it to maximize the life. Only problem is that I am not satisfied with any of the brands including Samsung. Hopefully Intel may provide a proper SSD in the future.
>>
>>52031120
I've read that the read/write issue is really a non-issue, that current SSDs do technically die over time but it's in ther order of Zebibyte read/writes. Can you argue against this with solid stats? What is it about the brands that has left you dissatisfied?

>>52031118
Nice try.
>>
no reason to install a botnet. just use some flavour of linux since it has a native enviroment for linux. windows 10 is only useful for gaming because of the resources used on the spyware.
>>
>>52031226
Can you vouch for the stability of Unity Linux Beta? Does it have all of the features of Windows version (minus DirectX ofc)?
>>
File: 1450000780520.png (139 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
1450000780520.png
139 KB, 400x398
>>52030822
So, no-one on /g/ actually knows what they are talking about?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.