[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning how to code.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Java.png (311 KB, 1016x843) Image search: [Google]
Java.png
311 KB, 1016x843
Where did you guys learn how to code? I've been lurking on /g/ for sometime and I am very interested in coding, Java- specifically, and maybe C. I've signed up for some classes on Udemy and made an account on Codeacademy, but I have a gut feeling those two are meme-tier teaching places.
>>
basic java game dev
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL210C2267A8922854
>>
>>52030627

Thank's for the link, though I am not too interested in making games right now- but i'll give it a shot someday.
>>
>>52030496
Another bump.
>>
Read a book.

C Primer Plus by Stephen Prata was my first book.
>>
>>52030826
There's Java books? Mind putting a link?
>>
>>52030843
It depends on how much java programming experience you have.
http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2012/09/18/must-reads-for-java-developers-from-beginner-to-professional-2/
>>
>>52030421
College.

Get a degree, hobo.
>>
highschool/university
>>
>>52030421
Both are meme-tier. Udacity.com on the other hand is world class and they have tons of Java courses even introductory java courses. Their "introduction to computer science 101" course is a introductory Python programming course which I always recommend because it is about as good as I can imagine a course ideally CAN be. But if you want to learn java first they are also good. I recommend "introduction to Java programming" and "introduction to Android development" take both... Gives good introduction. They have many more courses all for free, individual courses are free, just press "access course materials" button when enrolling to the individual courses. It is probably the best available on the Internet, it is the best I have seen in general.
>>
>>52032727
Thank you, Anon. I will soon apply for the free programming course there.

Also, bump.
>>
>>52032941
Personally, I believe that reading is a far more effective way of learning to program than online courses. The information density in a textbook will always be greater than that of a video, and a book makes it easier to return to sections and topics you didn't understand on a first reading or need to reference again because of some forgotten details.

For Java, I would recommend "Absolute Java". Not the greatest textbook in the world, but it gets the job done. Follow it up with "Effective Java", which is just the shit.

Don't learn C unless you have intentions of writing a kernel in the near future. It's such a niche programming language nowadays. If you want to learn a low level programming language you should learn C++. C++ gives you the low-level tools and efficiency of C while providing higher level features that you would find in eg Java.
>>
>>52033018
Both C and C++ are fine places to start. You can learn the basics of procedural programming in C and then move on to C++ for OOP.

That's how a lot of universities did it before Java displaced everything.
>>
Google for good (insert language name here) books, find them in pdf, read. Then write shitty programs. Then improve.
>>
>>52030421
SICP
I
C
P

or htdp
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.