[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this make you feel? http://arstechnica.co.uk/infor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9
File: mint.png (72 KB, 657x474) Image search: [Google]
mint.png
72 KB, 657x474
How does this make you feel?

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/12/review-mint-17-3-may-be-the-best-linux-desktop-distro/
>>
>arse technica

Not surprised really.
>>
>>52028821
Sounds great actually. Like it or not, Mint is the most used GNULinux distro. Period. And it's great to have a distro that is actually normie-friendly, lightweight and stable.

Gonna run the MATE version to see how customizable it actually is, merely out of curiosity.
>>
>>52028821
Awesome, more people are finding uses for Linux everyday and its operating systems like this that are helping enormously.
>>
>>52028917
According to the steam hardware survey Ubuntu is much more popular.
>>
Daily reminder that you can completely kill Mint 17.3 by clicking your mouse a few times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFR7C6peQhY
>>
>>52028932
Dude, Mint IS Ubuntu.
>>
most beginner firendly != best

it's good babby's first loonix distro, but far from the best
>>
File: xd.jpg (31 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
xd.jpg
31 KB, 320x320
I'm waiting for normies to discover that the developer of "ubuntu mint edition" is second Ben "Montana Merchant Mangler" Garrison
>>
File: 1448029848597.jpg (7 KB, 240x237) Image search: [Google]
1448029848597.jpg
7 KB, 240x237
>>52028948
>floppy drives
>clicking over and over again for 5+ minutes
That's like complaining you can kill Windows by deleting system32
>>
>>52028966
still, it's a bug that should have been caught
>>
>>52028948
what is with loonix and all these repeated-actions-bugs?

>grub: hit backspace x times, receaive shell
>gnome: hit escape(?, can't remember) x times, screensaver crashes and unlocks machine
>mint: click x times, crash machine
>>
>>52028957
what is it know, most beginner friendly(!) = best, or it's far from the best?
>>
>>52028957
not far really. The "just werks" distros diserve a place among the best. Sure, Arch is super light and bleeding edge when you actually get it to work, and Debian is this super stability behemoth, but an easy to use distro ment for people that don't care/have time to comprehend how a computer works is also something to admire.

Not everyone that uses a PC has to be an IT Engineer.
>>
>>52028985
>it's a bug that should have been caught
It's a bug related to floppy drives.

For someone to catch a bug you have to encounter it in the first place, especially when it comes to community maintaned stuff like Cinnamon (he said in the vid this problem doesn't exist on Unity/Gnome.

The first problem with it is >2015 >floppy drives
And second problem is who exactly tries mounting again if the first attempt FAILED and they didn't do shit to figure out why?

I know that on the magical planet called Normie World clicking a button 3234 times in rapid succession fixes every problem, but I was subscribed to his channel for quite some time now and he's hardly a tech-inept retard.

So once again, complaining for the sake of complaining.

And of course I'm willing to bet your ass he despite catching a bug that could possibly be fixed in the next version didn't bother to file a bug report.
So yeah.
>>
>>52028917
>Period
can't take people serious who type that out
>>
>>52028917
>Mint is the most used GNULinux distro
I though it would be Ubuntu or whatever web servers use
>>
>>52028948
Hardware access is root access, you're gonna remove the hard drive and stick it in another comp, not click like a maniac on GRUB.
>>
>>52029076
MINT is just Ubuntu with another graphical installer and no forced Unity
>>
>>52029076
>I though it would be Ubuntu or whatever web servers use
Debian is the most popular distribution for web servers in use (the small and amateur ones), seconded by Ubuntu.

Desktop wise it's
Mint
Debian
Ubuntu
openSUSE
Fedora
>>
>>52029067
OK buddy.

>>52029076
It's the most popular personal use distro among non-server users. Among server users, it's a tie between Debian, Gentoo and Arch.
>>
Feels bretty gud
>>
>>52029090
Ubuntu is just Debian with ass-backwards developers
>>
>>52029123
Debian is just GNU with some code packed on top of it
>>
>>52029090
>forced Unity
please just off yourself
>>
>>52029152
GNU is just Stallman staring at his laptop while being angry at the world because of Javascript
>>
>>52029158
>using ubuntu
>thinking he's not part of the amazon botnet

nys familia
>>
I like mint
so this a :3 for me
>>
>>52029163
Stallman is just aspergers with meat attached.
>>
Debian master race here

I'm OK with the existence of Mint, and so should you all you elitist oh-no-pacman-broke-everything-again loli archfags.
>>
>apt based distros

jfmsu desu lad
>>
>>52029190
this 2bh.
>>
>>52028917
>Mint is the most used GNULinux distro
It's not. Distrowatch clicks =/= usage.
>>
>>52028948
>completely kill Mint 17.3

ctrl+alt+backspace if enabled, changing tty if not

wow it's nothing

>>52028985

it's a bug on one of thousands of distros for a niche desktop operating system that literally won't affect anyone unless they're looking for it specifically

windows has had thousands of these types of bugs that affect explorer

>>52029098
>Debian is the most popular distribution for web servers in use (the small and amateur ones), seconded by Ubuntu.

ubuntu is the most popular distro for web servers, followed by centos and then debian

>>52029106
>Among server users, it's a tie between Debian, Gentoo and Arch.

>Among server users
>gentoo
>arch

>server
>arch

can you please stop spouting bullshit
>>
>>52029119
i dont understand wy anyone finds that font appealing..
>>
>>52029210
https://brashear.me/blog/2015/08/24/results-of-the-2015-slash-r-slash-linux-distribution-survey/
>>
It is the best desktop distro.
>>
>>52028821
anyone tried it with skylake cpu's?
i heard the kernel is way behind the current one
>>
>>52029253
Well why don't you just get the livecd/usb and try it yourself.
>>
>>52029190
but apt is literally the best, most fully featured pm out there.
>>
>>52029230
>all those redditors running arch on their servers
makes me physically sick

also cinnamon is the most user friendly DE
>>
>>52029276
not at home right now, thought this was a helpful informative image forum, were people enjoy sharing their views and opinions about technology and help one another.
>>
>>52029210

> ubuntu is the most popular distro for web servers, followed by centos and then debian

Non-pro detected.
>>
I love watching my hot girlfriend use my PC, she doesn't even realise that she's using Linux, all I had to do is add a string 'Start' next to my launcher menu button in the bottom left corner. Mint is awesome
>>
So, should you use mint or cinnamon?
>>
>>52029016
That's because of the faggots who insist on programming everything in C.

No matter how good you are as a programmer, no matter how many years of experience you have, no matter how good static analysis becomes, no matter how many people review your code before it is merged: C is a language that has always and will always produce broken, exploitable and memory leaking programs.

Just "gitting gud" is not enough. Seriously. The people who write these programs are as good as you can possibly get. Everything is reviewed for months before it is merged.
>>
>drinking your water from downstream, so much that it's almost unhealthy

No, thank you.
>>
>>52029792
I use MATE because it's faster and easier on resources
>>
>>52029928
I see. That makes sense.

How much ram does Mint use for you? How does it compare to Windows 10?
>>
>>52028821
I installed Mint 11 (or was it 12?) on my netbook back in 2011. In 2014 I gave that netbook to my mom and it's still working perfectly. Okay, Firefox still lags, but whatever. Mint does its thing, and I don't want to ask for more.
>>
>>52028948
>a few times
>>
>>52029972
I only have Firefox and Skype open, Firefox using 750MB right now. No idea about Win10
>>
>>52029210

There's nothing wrong with using Arch for your servers. It's not like you have enough packages installed on a server for it to cause any problems.
>>
>>52030005
I realize being easy on resources doesn't really mean anything on this beast of a laptop, but on my Thinkpad T61 with 3GB ram it's godly
>>
>>52028932
>dumb ass
>>52028949
>>
>>52029229
>>
>>52029253
>i heard the kernel is way behind the current one
They literally talk about it in the article
>>
>>52029792
Mint is the OS
Cinnamon is the default desktop environment of that OS
>>
>>52030327
Yeah, sorry. I obviously meant MATE instead of mint.
>>
the best meme fork of Ubuntu
>>
Since this is a mint thread, how dafuq do I change these I fly silver window borders? Themes from the theme manager don't change them.
>>
>>52030907
Dunno what you are using. Mate, Cinnamon, ...? Look for Window Manager or something like that. Theme manager changes the inside of the window but not the frame.
>>
>>52028821
Well, I managed to completely fuck it up just by trying to upadte gtk+ so I don't think that stable is really the word to describe this.
>>
>>52028821
Happy, they deserve all the praise they're getting desu senpai. It's the only distro that keeps improving with every release.

Mint > Obangoo ever since memeity was released and canonical went full retard.
>>
>>52029816
Yeah no
>>
>>52029163
>because of Javascript
you can't really blame him
>>
>>52030009
You're better going off from scratch than placing your server in the hands of a distro maintained by 12 year olds...
>>
>>52028917
Mate version is boss.
>>
>>52031439

Just update as needed instead of during every release and perform proper backups.
>>
>>52030907
Would also like to know this. Spent an hour last night trying to figure it out.
>>
>>52028821
it does not make you less retarded.
>>
>>52029816
> C is to blame for all the problems!

yea, no. it's due to buggy/bad code, not due to the language. the fact that you're actually blaming C as the "core" of all the problems shows your lack of actual solid programming experience in it. if you seriously think C is to blame for exploits or even memory leaks for that matter then you've never spent much time programming in it.

jesus, the fact that you're throwing the brain-dead "memory leak" meme just shows it clearly. I've been programming in C and C++ for 20 years, and I've not once had an issue with memory leaks, even in pure C. if you seriously can't free/close your shit properly in pure C then you are an amateur at best. but I'm guessing you're probably some stroustrup devotee who blindly believes everything he says even while he's bashing dennis' cold dead corpse.

incoming moving the goal post in 3.. 2.. 1
>>
>>52028821
mint is great till you realize it cant dist upgrade
>>
>>52028866
This. I've never understood their name and always pronounce it like Arse.

Butt technical.

Fanny tech

Posterior scientific

Proctologist
>>
File: 20151224152335378.png (45 KB, 1328x530) Image search: [Google]
20151224152335378.png
45 KB, 1328x530
>>52031932
>>
>>52028949
>DUDE WEED LMAO

Don't think so, Tim.

Mint may be Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is not Mint. Give me a site that shows Mint and Ubuntu side by side and we'll talk.
>>
>>52031953
Cool. I'm still gonna say Arse though. It makes me laugh.

Yes, in a child at heart. I still laugh when my wife's radiologist says Scrotum.
>>
>be me, install this
>everything seems to work good, actually impressed
>wifi detects router, connect to my router.
>it drops the connection
>"okay maybe if i restart it it will go away"
>restart
>doesn't work still, connects to router but drops it every time
>decide to try other distro, same fucking shit
>get tired of this, go to windows 8.1

Fucking linux. Never again.
>>
>>52031999
>wife's radiologist

Wow he most likely fucking her. Why aren't you the radiologist for your wife?
>>
mint is a really good OS for people who just want to use their stuff and have everything installed, nothing wrong with that. I still prefer LMDE over it and Debian testing over LMDE.
>>
>>52029253
not sure how it is right now but skylake needs 4.3+. debian testing hit that today.
>>
>>52032137

Should I get a prebuilt x-ray machine or build my own?
>>
>>52032225

build your own with cool LEDs.
>>
>>52028821
I'd agree if it didn't have archaic packages thanks to its stupidly old LTS base.
>>
>>52032137
Idk we having a baby. The woman who did the ultrasound. She said scrotum and I laugh. Is there another term for ultrasound person?
>>
File: hackerman.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
hackerman.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>52029229
The first time I used Linux I got a headache from the font rendering. After a while of use the headache went away and now I can't look at Windows font rendering without cringing.
>>
>>52032022
>being retarded
>>
>>52031608
Then there is literally no reason not to use debian
>>
>>52029990
Falcon, kinda unrelated but we need to talk about logicalincrements mexico prizes.
>>
>>52034752
prices*
>>
>>52028948
What the hell did he expect? Fucking retard...
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.