[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/alpine/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 2010-12-01-lv-a8280-alpine-xfce.jpg (430 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2010-12-01-lv-a8280-alpine-xfce.jpg
430 KB, 1024x768
>Alpine Linux (not GNU/Linux)

* OpenRC init system
* All binaries compiled as Position Independent Executables with stack smashing protection
* Security enhanced kernel (PaX and grsecurity)
* No GNU by default
* Minimal base image is 8 MB in size

Why are you still using bloated distributions such as Arch GNU/Linux?
>>
>2010

j
u
s
t
>>
Fuck Arch
>>
>>52028098
You forgot, compiled entirely on MUSL, so no GNU C shit either. Pretty cool distro, m8. I wonder if there's a way to run OpenBSD on MUSL?
>>
>nearly 2016

Why the fuck are you using a linux distro? Just using the kernel I compiled here, userspace is too bloated for me.
>>
>>52028477
>You forgot, compiled entirely on MUSL, so no GNU C shit either
Sadly, it doesn't use LLVM Linux, or LLVM. For now at least. Oh, and it uses GNU's bloated inetutils. So yes, it still has some GNU, just not the GNU coreutils and GNU's libc.
>>
>>52028098
>Position Independent Executables with stack smashing protection
Thats basically standard for all distributions
>>
>>52028098
>Minimal base image is 8 MB in size
>Why are you still using bloated distributions such as Arch GNU/Linux?
Because it's 2015. Even your penis should be able to run more than 8MB.
>>
>>52028565
>Thats basically standard for all distributions
I doubt most distributions compile with the hardened USE flag by default.
>>
>>52028553
Aw, shit. I was hoping it was completely free of GNUshit, but it can't be perfect, I guess. Time to wait for MINIX to be usable, or just use P9P on OpenBSD.
>>
>>52028655
It doesn't matter. It's still not GNU Linux. GNU's crap is not NEEDED to run the system, it's just convenient, despite being bloated.
>>
>>52028678
Good point, but if the purpose is to make the entire system, from back to front, suck as little as possible, it's probably best to run stuff that sucks less. Things like OpenBSD and Minix do that.

However, I like battery life more than correctness, so I stick with linux-ck. Such is life.
>>
>>52028098
>Alpine Linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52028856
obvious bait is obvious
>>
>>52028856
>GNU/Linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, Busybox/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Busybox plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Busybox system made useful by the Busybox corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the Busybox system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Busybox which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Busybox system, developed by the Busybox Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Busybox operating system: the whole system is basically Busybox with Linux added, or Busybox/Linux.
>>
Just tried this out, sometimes the system is producing bottom lel tier grsec errors.

It you gonna tinfoil, do it fucking properly ffs.
>>
>>52029001
Works on my machines
>>
noob here, how difficult it is to install? I am using xubuntu dual boot with windows 7.

do i need to take a weekend off for this project? i am not even sure if this distro supports steam and playonlinux.
>>
>>52029071
>i am not even sure if this distro supports steam and playonlinux.
Most likely not. There are no proprietary drivers either.

>>52029071
>how difficult it is to install?
It does have a simple text based installer
>>
>>52029049
I installed x.org, xfce4 then the slim login manager (an extremely small, minimal login manager).

I cannot start slim, it produces shit errors in dmesg.

If you have time, try installing it. I'd interested if the error is "global".
>>
>>52028578
>I doubt most distributions compile with the hardened USE flag by default.
I doubt most distributions use portage.
>>
>>52028678
>>52028655
What's with the GNU hate? Did people really fall for the BSD meme?
>>
>>52029214
>meme
Just because there isn't shitty rolling release that breaks your setup at least once a week (don't lie it does), don't mean its a meme
>>
>>52029177
Honestly I've only been using it for headless virtual machines
>>
>>52029205
>I doubt most distributions use portage.
Are we pretending compilation flags aren't a thing?

https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Mudflap_Pointer_Debugging

>>52029214
>What's with the GNU hate?
I don't like software that comes attached with ideologies. Never mind the fact that it's bloated:

https://gist.github.com/pete/665971

https://gist.github.com/dchest/1091803
>>
>>52029309
>Are we pretending compilation flags aren't a thing?
"USE flags" are specific to Gentoo Portage
>>
Why is this suddenly getting pimped everywhere?

I like the idea of a stripped down distro for container use though, I haven't really really bothered with containers because they didn't seem too different from VMs but now they seem worth a look

If I wanted to run a small REST API could I just install everything I need (Go/Elixir and Postgresql and maybe htop) to this Alpine container?
>>
Hello, Galactus.
>>
Alpine or NetBSD on a Toshiba Libretto 100ct? 166 MHz Pentium and 32 MB RAM.
>>
File: 0002.gif (18 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0002.gif
18 KB, 128x128
>>52028098
Oooo, this is interesting, and I like its attitude. If I was not already happy with Slackware, I would try it. :) TY.
>>
>>52030425
Did you try OpenBSD first?
>>
>>52028098

Quite comfy anon.
>>
>>52030425
>>52031488
Yeah, I'm quite sure OpenBSD ran fine on Librettos from at least version 2.9.

It can only get better from there.
>>
>>52031692
Nice, thanks. It should arrive in a few days, so I'll mess with OpenBSD in a VM before then.
>>
>>52028098
>8MB
>not bloated
That won't fucking fit on a floppy.
>>
>>52032749
Original Amiga OS ported to Docker when?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.