[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I learn to do the Linux? I'm looking to learn enough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: linux.jpg (214 KB, 998x679) Image search: [Google]
linux.jpg
214 KB, 998x679
How can I learn to do the Linux?

I'm looking to learn enough to where I can replace Windows with it eventually on my laptop. The only game I play is CS: GO.

Everytime I end up installing Ubuntu, I end up getting pissed at small things. Things like the mouse sensitivity being weird, it being slow, or the install getting fucked after changing nothing. It just seems unstable in general.

I also need help in picking a distro, I heard Ubuntu is shit and noob friendly. If I am going to put effort into learning this shit, I might as well learn a good distro.

Things I need.

-Decent FPS in Steam games
-Proper Nvidia drivers (with optimus)
-3840x1260 Support with scaling
-Proper multitouch touchpad gestures
-It be snappy

Right now I am just fucking around on distros in a VM, is this fine? How is Driver support with a Lenovo Y50?
>>
>>52026992
Either use a VM to run different linux distros to try them out or use a usb installer to run linux off of a usb.
>>
>>52026992
Arch in a VM with xfce
Spend a few days setting shit up, customising it
Migrate the install to your computer

Xfce and arch is bretty comfy op
>>
>>52026992
>I heard Ubuntu is shit and noob friendly. If I am going to put effort into learning this shit, I might as well learn a good distro.

Just run Linux Mint, which is branched off Ubuntu, but without the weird Unity UI. No distribution comes close to the support of the Ubuntu community and forums.
>>
>>52026992
Mint running MATE
>>
>>52026992
I would say "install gentoo" if I wanted to meme you, but since you're a nice guy, I'll tell you what I really think deep down, in all honesty:

Install FreeBSD
>>
>>52026992
Use Arch Linux.
>>
File: reimu_walk.jpg (103 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
reimu_walk.jpg
103 KB, 600x600
>>52028162
+1 to this. The only thing running a no-batteries-included distro will get you is pain and grief if you don't at least have a little bit of an idea what you're doing.
>>
>>52026992
I'm in the same camp as you.

> I also need help in picking a distro, I heard Ubuntu is shit and noob friendly. If I am going to put effort into learning this shit, I might as well learn a good distro.

No, just use ubuntu or a variation of it like xubuntu or someshit. Most things support ubuntu so unless you want to fuck yourself...

> Everytime I end up installing Ubuntu, I end up getting pissed at small things.

Yep, linux says fuck you, DEAL with it. Linux is pretty retarded most of the time.
>>
>>52028291
no GUI / DE...
yeah loads of fun getting that shit in there...
sound still fucked after years of tears...
I'm CAT-5, but still fucked up wiFi too...
fucking Lye Nucks fucks...
get the basic shit locked in for chrissakes.
wifi in 2015? sound? much? multiFUCKmedia era. ringing any bells?
>>
>>52026992
Just use some version of Ubuntu or mint. Some people are trolling you and trying to get you to install arch, but you are just going to spend the next year trying to get it to work if you are not a expert. Ubuntu Linux and mint are easy to install and configure. Mouse sensitivity can be changed
>>
I'm using xubuntu at the moment. Babby's first distro. It's good. As far as learning it, there's tutorials for terminal and you're going to want to learn a language, something like python which is apparently easy to learn.

Good luck friend.
>>
File: images_of_swastika_35701000082.png (80 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
images_of_swastika_35701000082.png
80 KB, 900x720
>>52028162
> No distribution comes close to the support of the Ubuntu community and forums

except arch.
>>
Here's the thing OP

You hear Ubuntu is shit -because- it's noob friendly. That doesn't mean it's shit and some people are ok with it.

Also, by learning how to install Arch and use it, you... learn how to install Arch and use it. That's it. You want to learn something, I suggest getting into a programming language instead. Nobody's gonna hire you on knowing how to use pacman.
>>
>>52026992
>Linux
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 1448507384283.png (9 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1448507384283.png
9 KB, 493x402
>>52028761
>>
>>52028739
The arch wiki is shit and assumes that you already are a Linux expert. It does not explain anything for regular Linux users.
>>
>>52028779
sub 100 IQ detected.
>>
>>52028779
If you need your hand held that tightly you might as well be running OSX.
>>
>>52028980
Getting a master degree in physics and engineering is apparently easier than following the Arch wiki. And most people would even consider something as simple as a master degree in physics to be tough.
It is a shit resource it's like only having Wikipedia when trying to learn calculus. It can be done, but it's a pain in the ass and it is assumed that you are a expert
>>
>>52029019
I used arch for years and the arch wiki was still a badly written pain in the ass that almost never was helpful. The installation guide for beginners still assume expert knowledge of networking and file systems. And the problems in arch are always so strange. It is a badly documented time sink. Changed to another distro and I am much happier now.
>>
>>52026992
To completely disable any sort of acceleration/deceleration, create the following file: (on ubuntu/mint its /usr/share/X11/...)
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
EndSection

Thats if your xinput --list-props "YourMouseID" shows Evdev as the input driver. this fixes the "stupid mouse movement"
>>
File: img_4549.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
img_4549.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
>>52028779
>>52029141
>>52029095
> expert knowledge my arse, you fucks just can't read.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.