[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do I get more tech-savvy, /g/? Pls no bully
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: otaku cake.jpg (307 KB, 1058x1300) Image search: [Google]
otaku cake.jpg
307 KB, 1058x1300
how do I get more tech-savvy, /g/? Pls no bully
>>
why do you want to be tech-savvy in the first place?
>>
Step 1: Don't post bait.
>>
>>52025673
True
Step 2: Take up a challenging project. But not one you can't google answers to.
>>
>>52025422
watch more anime
>>
>>52025422
Be more like this guy >>52022631
>>
File: csm.jpg (171 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
csm.jpg
171 KB, 2048x1365
stop being wary of the internet and open all the links, download wares from the sketchy bootleg sites, and run everything.

soon your computers gonna be all fucked up and you can learn how to fix it using google.
>>
File: msc75.jpg (162 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
msc75.jpg
162 KB, 600x750
Install gentoo. No really that will probably help you a bit as long as you dont just paste commands
>>
File: em2ovTu.jpg (725 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
em2ovTu.jpg
725 KB, 1920x1200
I'm also asking the same question.

Do I learn programming languages first or what? Is there a good guide for learning tech.
>>
File: Road.jpg (709 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Road.jpg
709 KB, 1600x900
>>52025489
I want to understand the machinations of modern technology and take full advantage of it.
>>
Nothing thought me more than installing linux. also the "introduction to computer science 101" on udacity.com is pretty much the best intro course to programming. you can be quite useful and do a lot after that course.
>>
File: gotsu.png (8 KB, 135x157) Image search: [Google]
gotsu.png
8 KB, 135x157
Install windows xp and browse the internet without adblock. You're gonna learn how to fix your computer eventually.

t. a person who uses XP even today
>>
File: 4L_L0ymVybU.jpg (78 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
4L_L0ymVybU.jpg
78 KB, 480x720
>>52025422
Installing linux seriously will get you to a new level, even baby linuxes like ubuntu still make you do things that normies would be scared of like opening a terminal window and running $ sudo apt-get update

Running windows, osx , chromeos is like ur a normal car buyer who would never look under the hood and always pays a mechanic to do everything.

Running linux is more like you are the guy who can change your own oil, change a flat tire without calling AAA, etc. And if u get more hardcore u an install gentoo and it's like u built a car from parts.
>>
>>52027299
>guide for learning tech
That's a little unclear. Do you want to be /g/ savey? read some consumer electronics reviews.
Do you want to post in those daily programming threads? learn a scripting language.
Do you want to know how a computer works? get a degree in computer science and computer engineering/electronics.
>>
>>52027411
as a car mechanic this picture triggers me
>>
>>52027412
I want to learn programming, isn't Python the best starting lanuguage?

Thanks, anon
>>
>>52027724
Python is often used in beginner's classes, but so is Java. I think Java, being a statically typed language, teaches you to be more careful with data types.

There are websites dedicated to newbies like you, complete with video courses and exercises that you can do without installing and configuring a runtime environment (which might be the biggest hurdle to get one started with programming).

Try the following
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.codeschool.com/free
https://www.edx.org/

Pick a language, for example Python or Java, and get started. If you think it's too hard, then start with HTML to get a general feeling of how "programming" might work without having to do too much thinking. Then do some CSS and eventually JavaScript.

It's best to buy a hardcopy of some recommended beginner's book. Don't try to read programming ebooks, you likely won't finish them. Pick a book, put it in front of you, read it and try the exercises on your computer. This is how I learn best, so maybe it works for you.
>>
>>52027724
I think python would be a horrible starting language . There are too many abstract concepts and far too many implementation details that you have to know because they absolutely failed at masking away data types.

I'd start with C. It's not the most powerful language, but it has a small instruction set and it helps you learn how things work under the hood. I'd do a wide range of puzzle like projects. Nothing big.
Then move to Java. Java is slow, but highly abstract. It's a better choice than c# because it has real backwards compatibility so online resources are always relevant. I'd suggest something bigger here. Maybe even learn Swing and do a bare bones GUI. Swing is fuck ugly, but flexible.
Then I would move to a scripting language. Maybe learn the basics in a few to see what you like. Personally I like Perl (which is dying) so I'd give the apparently very similar Ruby a go. Python and PHP are also very popular.
Then spend the rest of your life only writing in that one language unless someone pays you to get a degree.
>>
>>52027807
>html
>programming
how many retards are infesting this website pretending to know shit
>>
>>52029244
with you that makes one.
Did you hear that "html isn't real programming" here? because you should be able to tell from everything else he wrote that he knows what he's talking about.
Assuming you have even cursory knowledge of programming languages, of course.
>>
>>52027299

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lern+programing

you're welcome
>>
>>52027807
codeacademy is a shit way to learn programming. better to have a full good course like at udacity.com. where both java and python can be learned. udacity have a free "introduction to computer science 101" that is the best python course anyone has ever made. and most likely the best programming course money can buy, but it's free.
>>
>>52027829
This is where i get lost, all these languages.

I want to make games in my spare time, ive been poking around with c++ but im always wondering if its the right language for the task.
>>
>>52025422
>Pls no bully

The first step is always "stop being a fucktard". Once you got over the le bulli meme, you are good to go.
>>
File: 1450678741196.png (866 KB, 900x602) Image search: [Google]
1450678741196.png
866 KB, 900x602
>>52027450

You think that's bad...
>>
>>52030063
Is that a light bulb
>>
>>52029691
C++ is great for games, but not the easiest language to learn... the thing is, when you know programming and the concepts then it's easy to learn a new language. but if you want to make games C++ is probably the best choice. Unless you want to make android games (then learn java) or ios games (learn swift or objective C)

If you just want to make games as a hobby you might want to learn something like Unity, because it's easier. you won't be making any AAA titles with unity, it is not very memory efficient, but it's great if you don't have a team. many professional games are made with unity as well and it's easy to export unity games to mac, windows, linux, android and ios.
>>
>>52030350
how else do you think gamer PSUs light up?
>>
>>52030426
Thanks
>>
>>52025422
>that pic
>no keyboard
>>
>>52030655
What is leaning on the left side of the desk?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.