[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I use my autistic interest in computers to land myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: computer-electronics.jpg (90 KB, 615x408) Image search: [Google]
computer-electronics.jpg
90 KB, 615x408
How do I use my autistic interest in computers to land myself a job and get out of NEET status?

I'm not too great at programming yet, but I'm well-versed in computer electronics, electrical circuits, repairs & upgrades.

Is there anything out there for me?
>>
>>52022713
>I'm not too great at programming yet, but I'm well-versed in computer electronics, electrical circuits, repairs & upgrades.

Sorry pal, hardware has no jobs

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3017196/it-careers/u-s-predicts-zero-job-growth-for-electronics-engineers.html
>>
If you have to ask an anonymous image board, you have failed already.
>>
>>52022766
Shit. What else is there aside from computer/electronics engineer? Repair man? That probably doesn't pay too well, right?

>>52022829
I'm a 24 year old NEET. I'm the epitome of failure.
>>
>>52022713
>>52022859
This anon is right >>52022766 I'm afraid. Everything is far more solid-state now and replaceable parts are declining. There is less of a future for hardware unless you're actually designing the chips themselves.

My advice: Find a shitty stopgap IT/repair/helpdesk role for now, and learn programming in your spare time.

You do not need a degree in compsci to get a solid programming job. You just need a good portfolio.
>>
Do a two year IT degree at a community college and find a telecommute job.

There are shitloads of openings for them. Just do a quick google search. All you need is high speed internet, a computer, and a few basic credentials. You can work in your mom's basement.
>>
>>52022923
Crap. I was hoping there would be some hardware related stuff.

How hard is it to break into the job market as a coder?

>>52023001
Sounds like a solid option, I will look into it.
>>
I started working at Geek Squad when I was 19, starting at 13.25$. 4 years later I'm at 21.75$ an hour. I can live comfortably on it, depends on what your goals are though.
>>
>>52023070
>How hard is it to break into the job market as a coder?

Don't bother

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm

>-8% employment change

Stay away from the technology sector all together. Outsourcing and competition will drive you fucking mad.

Just stay NEET and get autismbux.
>>
File: 1440789582648.gif (883 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1440789582648.gif
883 KB, 250x250
>>52022766
not true. I got a laptop repair job at a middle school recently that pays $20.30/hr, full benefits, retirement, and I get free breakfast and snacks daily
>>
>>52022713
>>52023070

Just do labouring work, it gets you out of the house and gets you /fit/.

Though if you're in Australia there's a ton of work for IT grads
>>
Brother get into MIS. Basically like IT but for business and shit. Managing data centers and Infrastructure and shit.

Know the cool words, know how to work with people who dont have tech autism like us. Thats the big $$ there.

dont be a codemonkey
>>
I work in a field unrelated to tech but do computers as a hobby. I got $50 for putting together a part list and assembling the PC. I made them do the shopping. $50 for a $350 normiebook word processing YouTube machine. One of those a day won't get you out of NEET but it will allow you to get closer to out of NEETdom.
>>
>>52022766
>>52022923

please tell me that article is click bait? i don't want to be jobless when i graduate
>>
>>52022829
This.
>>
Work retail, OP.

I'm a software engineering student right now and work at Frys. At least I can make good money being an in-person shill. Computer and electronic components are things I already know about, so its a good place for me to have generic work experience before getting into a real career
>>
>>52023109
4 years ago I started working desktop support at 17/hr now I make 33/hr. Run away from geeksquad, it looks terrible on a resume.
>>
>>52023410
Fuck off kid. Mis is the term we used for IT in the 80s. What you think is IT is probably retail selling computers
>>
>>52022713
abandon computers and get into electronics
>>
>>52022713
In the same boat as you op. Currently studying comp sci and not doing too greasy in programming.
I love it but I'm just having difficulty understanding a lot of it. I'm worried I might be too stupid for programming and will end up a NEET ;_;
>>
>>52022713
Look into networking careers and get certifications. You will probably need a BS in comp sci for this unlike programming but there is guaranteed money in networking.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.