[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are your thoughts on cloud computing, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 1434445999923.jpg (16 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
1434445999923.jpg
16 KB, 235x235
what are your thoughts on cloud computing, /g/?
>>
it's pretty neat when it is your computer.
>>
It gave us The Fappening so it can't all be bad.
>>
>>52022176
in theory it's a good solution for sharing/collaboration however data caps and shit upload speeds make it impractical for heavy use
>>
File: rpi.jpg (1 MB, 2993x2283) Image search: [Google]
rpi.jpg
1 MB, 2993x2283
>>52022176
I better host my own cloud at home.
>>
File: mark-zuckerberg-laugh.jpg (121 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
mark-zuckerberg-laugh.jpg
121 KB, 1200x900
if thin clients (smartphones and low-power tablets) take over the client space, the economies of scale will make it such that vanishing consumer PC sales translate into higher server hardware costs and stagnating technology advances, locking smaller cloud players out of the market and cementing domination for the ruling elite (Google, Amazon, Facebook, and all the usual suspects)

tl;dr: enjoy your cloud-AIDS
>>
It's a meme
A hard drive located somewhere else you can access remotely
>>
>>52023007
this

/thread
>>
>>52023007
>A hard drive located somewhere else you can access remotely

one important thing though: you don't own the hard drive, and you can be denied access to your own files. so maybe you can access it, maybe you can't, depending on the whims of someone you likely didn't pay and never even met.

with cloud computing you don't have the final say, and you don't have control of your computing future.
>>
>>52023007

Except its not, storage isn't what's really referred to as the cloud, at best it constitutes a small portion of 'cloud' use. Literally just hosting files on any foreign machine constitutes cloud storage and that's been around since forever.

What most people refer to when they say cloud is the computing aspect, running code and and scripts on other machines that are better suited for it.

So you retards can pretend that cloud is just limited to hosting and its a normie meme but you're the dipshit that's never had cause to use it to its full extent instead of paying millions to build your own work stations with top of the line equipment.
>>
>>52022176
BUZZWORD
U
Z
Z
W
O
R
D
>>
>>52023269
Oh you mean remotely? Still a meme
>>
here's a good 1 hour talk by Eben Moglen on freedom in the cloud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOEMv0S8AcA
>>
>>52023180
Could say the same thing for all the "free" email accounts.

Fairly obvious to see where technology is going, ransom on a scale never before seen.

>>52023373
Why don't we just revert to locked down dumb terminals again? We only spent the last 20 years getting away from that.
>>
>>52023645
Or you could host your own email
You sound like a corporate shill anon are you a corporate shill?
Cloud based computing is a meme and you're just adding a middle man to systems you will now not even own
>>
fuck the cloud: https://ipfs.io/
>>
The cloud is a ploy by the industry to get people to do all their computing on the web since piracy kills sale of software. The only legitimate use for the cloud is storing data between computers ie Dropbox
>>
>>52023269
>What most people refer to when they say cloud is the computing aspect, running code and and scripts on other machines that are better suited for it.

...because that's what 99% of people need cloud for and why it's being shoved down our throats by the big internet companies.
>>
>>52022176

irrelevant now that mobile processors are powerful enough.
>>
>>52024180
>>
Actually the cloud isn't only as storage service, you can have CPU's, and a big botnet of server that comunicates with each other.
>>
>>52022176
We use AWS where I work because it offers the processing power needed and scales pretty nicely.
>>
>>52024115
ma nigga
>>
The NSA likes it
>>
>>52024709
and how!
>>
Call me when I can use the cloud to let me play vidya that I couldn't normally play due to a lack of resources on my shitty computer.
>>
>>52024951
playon
>>
>>52024951
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive
>>
>>52024951
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNs_D8JxADA

get with the times, grandpa.
>>
>>52024984
I don't think that's even related.

>>52024992
Interesting, but not what I was thinking. I meant that you have the game on your computer and you access outside resources to help you play the game that your own hardware can't fully support. Not streaming vidya from a server that you are technically renting.
>>
>>52025087
Shit. Why is every idea already taken?
>>
>>52025091
For one you'd need a very good internet connection on both ends and there already exists software for what you're asking however if there's no real demand for it it's not going to go very far or quickly
>>
It's stupidity. It's worse than stupidity: it's a marketing hype campaign.
>>
>>52025087
Oh, so you can use it to run behind some guy on a horse? So that's what I've been missing.
>>
>>52023685
Not that person.

You're an idiot if you think Google, Dropbox, Facebook or another huge company would risk losing billions of dollars by locking everyone out of their accounts.
>>
>>52025133
It makes sense and it's also feasible to do.
>>
>>52023007
>>52023057
samefag
>>
>>52025293
But that person was talking about using "cloud computing" for something other than those already existing remote hard drives.
If they had something of "questionable content" on your account they could, and how they find that it is by scanning all of your files daily on their servers which they own and the services you pay for you do not own
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.