[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/entoomen, does anyone here use scsi drives? i recently got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (102 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
102 KB, 600x600
/g/entoomen, does anyone here use scsi drives?
i recently got a dell poweredge 2600 for a ridiculous deal of $20, but no drives, for security purposes.

i see a scsi drive on amazon for pretty cheap, but i can only buy one. so my question is, does scsi need to be in raid, or can i use just one scsi drive on the server?

its uses shouldnt be more than a plex server
>>
>does scsi need to be in raid

you've got to be joking
>>
>>52021933
i take that as i need two drives.

i just wanted to know if i could use the server with only one drive
>>
SCSI drives are dinosaurs with awful 320-pin interfaces. There's a reason they were replaced with SAS and SATA.
>>
>>52022169
i dont think theres any possibility of me getting a sata drive to work in this thing. scsi is all i can do.

hell i might just put it on craigslist and hope someone buys it off me.
>>
>>52022325
throw it in the trash, it's way too fucking old, hot and loud.
>>
>>52021848
>does scsi need to be in raid, or can i use just one scsi drive on the server?
You can have anything from one to seven devices on a single controller.

>>52022169
Why are they awful? Sliding in an SCA drive is no different from sliding in a regular SAS drive.

>>52022325
You can grab a cheap PCI controller, but I wouldn't bother. U320 drives are cheap as fuck and fine for what you want to do.

>>52022361
I still run NetBurst shit for OS testing, for what he wants to do it's fine.
>>
>>52021980
No you most certainly don't need RAID on a SCSI drive.
>>
As long as you have at least one drive and a terminator, you good. Or a SCSI software.
>>
I have 600 SCSI drives in my closet, you can have a few for free if you want to pay for shipping.
>>
>>52022374
You don't need a 4u space heater to be a plex server.

It's a waste of money.
>>
>>52022393
Gonna need some picture to confim
>>
>>52022434
What if he just wants to do it for fun? Not everything has to pay for itself (and tech sure as fuck won't)
>>
>>52022437
Not going to dig that shit out unless someone is really interested. Here is some sorta-proof, its the closet.
>>
File: rx2660_13.jpg (48 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
rx2660_13.jpg
48 KB, 800x600
>>52022483
are those HP itanics? or did they make proliants with the same enclosures?

those diagnostic displays are cool as fuck
>>
>>52022563
Proliant DL380 G5s. Dual quad core xeons, 16 and 32GB RAM
>>
>>52022169
>320 pin interface
You don't have any fucking idea what you're talking about do you.

OP:
What SCSI drives are you looking at exactly? When you plug the SCSI drives in you'll need to configure them in the array controller, either in a RAID or not is your choice. It's a good idea too.

They'll be fine but be aware that they've largely been replaced with SAS drives and newer systems.
>>
>>52021848
It' seriously a piece of shit. It's not even worth $20 really, and I am saying this as a massive hoarder of old computers
>>
>>52022393
helll yeah that sounds good anon
>>
>>52022718
buft some nigger will think its a gold mine. right?
>>52022374
i have 6 1TB sata III drives (seagate) that a friend gave me, i dont want them to go to waste, so if this server thing doesnt pan out i figure i can build a pc and download tons of shit
>>
>>52021848
That's $20 that person should have spent tossing it in a landfill. Old servers are taboo in that they aren't reliable, expensive to keep on, slow, and without a support contract aren't worth anything.
>>
>>52022361
Much like OP himself
>>
>>52021848
Protip save some money and buy a mini itx with onboard cpu, literally you'll save yourself alot of noise and headache + power bill
>>
I have a PowerEdge 2500, With all it's drives. It's loud as fuck, Heavy, Slow and hard to work on.. But it's stable as fuck... Was using Win 2k server and it's uptime was over 350 days before we had a power failure that my UPS couldn't last for (18 hours without power)

Now it sits in my garage collecting dust, because it cost too much to run the damn thing.

Would sell it, but they aren't worth dick.
>>
>>52023131
Don't really know how that system would do with such a large drive, just look for some 146-300GB U320 drives.

Sounds like you should have just gone with >>52023514 in the first place, those things are fun to play with but if you're not looking to tinker with the shit you'd be better off with a cheap ITX build, just craigslist it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.