[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THINKPAD RETRO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 15
File: thinkpad-retro.jpg (40 KB, 650x880) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad-retro.jpg
40 KB, 650x880
Why in the mothercunting fuck is this not for sale yet? What is taking these brain-dead assholes at lelnovo so fucking long to just make this shit already? YOUR NEW THINKPADS ARE FUCKING GARBAGE AND THEY DON'T SELL BECAUSE YOU RUINED THE ENTIRE FUCKING DESIGN YOU FUCKING SHIT COMPANY YOU'RE NOTHING COMPARED TO IBM.
>>
>>52020145
>not for sale yet?
Apple's hogging up all the 16:10 panels.
>>
OP you're way too mad but I too think that is a beautiful laptop
>>
not even going to respond to your shitty op fully but most consumer products take at least 12 months to fully design and test
>>
>>52020349
go fuck yourself with your apple pencil or whatever faggot shit you have
>>
>>52020720
lel getting this ass blasted over someone calling you out on your shit
>>
>>52020145
Because it's just a marketing campaign to get people talking about Lenovo, it's not a real product.
>>
>>52020145
>FN key location

JUST
>>
>>52020175
Who the fuck didn't vote for 4:3?
>>
>>52020851
It's where it has always been
>>
>>52020851
kys idiot
>>
>>52020145
Why did lenovo make the shit apple copies
>>
>>52020906
all those weirdo sane people.
>>
>>52020988
they're a retarded company that doesn't understand who thinkpads are for
>>
>>52020906
Honestly 4:3 screens are not very functional anymore. Because everything is geared towards widescreen. If you just want retro for the sake of retro, get yourself T60/X60 and refub it.
>>
Why would you ever buy a Lenovo laptop after the Superfish debacle?
>>
>>52021054
because they never affected thinkpads
>>
>>52021019
ok i will
>>
>>52021019
Almost every website is better the taller the screen is. The only thing that it's not good for is movies and TV shows, but only autists give a shit about black bars.
>>
>>52020349
>>52020746
But they HAD the design, for fuck's sake. They actually took the time to change it when they could have just used more modern hardware and a better screen with the same barebones.
>but people wanted thin
EVERY single brand on this planet that produces laptops are producing them for an (imaginary) market that wants thinness and lightweight above all else. Seriously, what is Lenovo bringing to the table on this? Yet another laptop with 16:9, shit keyboard, undervolted CPU and everything soldered to the motherboard? Basically every single laptop in 2015?
ThinkPads had a different appeal, they were made to be sturdy, have great battery life and be very easily serviceable, and this is why companies bought them in mass. They were made for everyone who doesn't mind a bigger laptop that comes with removable everything, huge battery life and goddamn milspec build quality.
I squat 180lb, I seriously don't give a shit about a slightly bigger laptop. Everything needs to be paper thin because that's the only metric consumers can understand. They don't know what a gigahertz or 1920x1080 are, but inches and ounces - that they can relate to, like the ignorant farmers they are.
>>
>>52021092
16:10 a best
>>
File: Lubuntu_on_x60s.jpg (2 MB, 2560x2199) Image search: [Google]
Lubuntu_on_x60s.jpg
2 MB, 2560x2199
Why would I want this when my trusty 1500Yen X60s still works fine?
>>
>>52021249
Autist detected.
You don't actually care about having a good laptop, you just want something to be a hipster with.
>>
>>52021301
X60 is sexy shit
>>
>>52021335
>le autist hipster
Wow, you sure showed me with your 2010 4chan memes.
>>
>>52021352
It really is. I only wish the processor in it was more energy-efficient. Virtually any 60$ chinese tablet you buy these days has a better battery life AND performance than this old piece of junk. But then again these tablets can't run a free OS, don't have a clitmouse and lack any sort of connectivity.
>>
>>52020145
It wasn't the design, you fucking moron. It was the reputation of the company that built the original device.

Without IBM, Thinkpads are fucking nothing.

I still don't get why people still back the Lenovo-made (ie: chink outsourced) Thinkpads.
>>
>>52021381
>Keyboard
>Patented clitmouse that beats anything dell and sony ever tried
>connectivity
>easily serviceable
...and the list goes on and on
>>
>>52021249
>ThinkPads had a different appeal, they were made to be sturdy, have great battery life and be very easily serviceable, and this is why companies bought them in mass.

>made to be sturdy
even the old ibm ones had hardware issues, don't whitewash their history

>have great battery life
come on now

>be very easily serviceable
i'd agree with 'easily serviceable' but there's machines out there that are easier to work with

at the end of the day, companies care about total cost of ownership and nothing more
>>
>>52021381
>I still don't get why people still back the Lenovo-made (ie: chink outsourced) Thinkpads.

R&D still happens in Japan, with the ex-IBM team.

Hell, manufacturing was outsourced by IBM in 2002-3.
>>
>>52020145
Calm down, Louis Rossmann, Jeez
>>
>>52021461
>even the old ibm ones had hardware issues, don't whitewash their history
Yet you can run an IBM thinkpad with a pickup truck and it will boot fine. I can find a way to fuck up a tank, doesn't mean all tanks have shit build quality.
Also my 14" T410 (Lenovo before they went full retard) has more ports than any 17" laptop I've seen, let alone 15.6" (4 USB, 1 DP, 1 ethernet, 1 VGA, 1 e-SATA, 1 mini PCI-E, 1 optical drive which can be used for an SSD, 1 microSD, 1 small one I don't recognize, a fingerprint scanner and even a fucking phone line), plus a better keyboard than any laptop made this year (apart from that MSI monstrosity with Cherry switches) which is removable, a trackpoint and dedicated mouse buttons (I never realized how shitty clickpads were before I used this). Finally they have great hinges, 16:10 screens, physical buttons for audio and airplane mode and even water drain holes. No laptop made today has this.
>come on now
They do, unless you're obviously comparing a Pentium IBM thinkpad to a modern laptop, because then lo and behold the one with the 15W TDP and SSD wins. It's not magic, modern laptop hardware uses less power, so the same battery will last longer. ThinkPads have huge batteries, and if you add that to a Broadwell CPU they will last for a day with wi-fi. Also I don't know any other laptop with a 9-cell removable battery, at least not mass-produced.
>but there's machines out there that are easier to work with
Such as? Genuine question, I'm curious.
>companies care about total cost of ownership and nothing more
This entire thread is about why Lenovo has a narrow vision and took something unique to make thin-as-fuck-laptop-with-shit-screen-and-battery-life #652412

Anyway, my point is that if you use current hardware with the old design you'd have the space for good cooling, tons of ports
>>
>>52021759
>1 small one I don't recognize
I think that's the abomination called firewire
>>
>>52021381
you're a fucking retard, legitimately.
>>
>>52021796
What's wrong with firewire?
>>
>>52021759
>drive a car over an elitebook
>it survives
https://youtu.be/dCj7KKqyOSo?t=43

>drive a car over a thinkpad
>the display cracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mersM1P7R5c

>also killed by a 13 ton truck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBcW90ngh4g
>>
>>52021840
>nothing uses it
>slightly faster than usb2, much slower than usb3
>direct connection to pcie, allowing bad things to happen
>>
>>52020175
Does anyone besides Apple even make laptops with 16:10 screens anymore?
>>
>>52021854
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXsDfuVctFk
>>
>>52021759
>No laptop made today has this.
HP Elitebooks/Zbooks
Dell Latitude/Precision

Come on anon, do your research at least.

>Such as? Genuine question, I'm curious.
Elitebooks/Zbooks have a tool free bottom door.
Latitudes/Precisions have one bottom door.

I can instantly change out most of the components in the machine (WLAN/WWAN cards, drives (2.5"/mSATA/ODD), even CPU and heatsink.

Compare this to the TP where you have to remove the keyboard and palm rest to clear out the fan, or swap out the wireless cards.

>>52021938
>EMC/EMI compliance test

Pretty much every laptop undergoes this. Nothing special.
You need to pass this to legally sell your product.
>>
>>52021489
>R&D still happens in Japan, with the ex-IBM team.
Well sorta, first not all members went to Lenovo; ie. Sapper and Yamazaki have never worked for Lenovo, and when Lenovo opened the new R&D facilities in China IIRC 2012, some work migrated there.
I think the revamp is coming from the Yamato team though.
>>
>>52021881
Nope, but luckily more are starting to use 3:2 which is even better than 16:10.
>>
>>52021966
Elitebooks are now Macbook Air clones, they were only good up to a few generations ago - exactly the same thing Lenovo did in screwing up a great professional line. They "are good" in the same sense that ThinkPads "are good": if you buy old models. That's not a counter-point, it's just another example of what this thread is about.
I'm not going to nitpick on every little thing these don't have and old ThinkPads do, but starting with the drain holes and ending with the 3-cell battery (there's a 1.800$ Latitude 7000 with a 4-cell battery, way to go Dell) we both know they don't come close.
No clue about ZBooks or Precisions. Frankly the only laptops I'd buy now are Zenbooks which have a lot of the flaws I mentioned, but are essentially the "least bad" I've seen with modern hardware.

>Compare this to the TP where you have to remove the keyboard and palm rest to clear out the fan
I'll give you that, but can you do that with current models?
>>
>>52021966
>EMC/EMI compliance test
>Pretty much every laptop undergoes this. Nothing special.
>You need to pass this to legally sell your product.
This so much. It just shows the faggots who post and praise this have absolutely zero idea on how physics works.
>>
>>52022092
I've noticed that too. I know that the Surface line and the Pixel use 3:2 screens, but does anyone else?
>>
>>52022159
Everyone else fights for scraps in the laptop industry. Nobody would buy an Acer, Dell, Asus etc. if they were more expensive. Because of that, those companies have less to spend on buying more expensive parts to make their laptops.
>>
File: IMG_1910-Version-2.jpg (857 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1910-Version-2.jpg
857 KB, 2048x1365
>>52022098
>Elitebooks are now Macbook Air clones

Like it or not - everyone fucking hates carrying around a massive laptop, it totally defeats the point of 'mobile' computing. IT departments do listen to what their users want, and this is fed back to the manufacturers.

If you look at the average office drone workload, the best thing you can give them is an SSD as that'll have a real perceptible performance boost.

We're at the stage where 15W ULV CPUs are good enough for 99% of people. You don't need a 35W full voltage dual core for office and internet browsing.

I know the elitebooks have a battery slice option though. Not sure about the new latitudes but the E6540 I evaluated a few years back had a 9 cell.

If you want thick and full power with more i/o than you'll ever need - mobile workstations still exist. They aren't going anywhere soon.

>>52022125
Yeah, it annoys me as well.

For interested anons, here's a tour of HP's R&D offices:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/backstage-at-hp-ars-sees-how-the-sausage-gets-made/

Here's the specific photo of ESD testing. You 'zap' your device under test with 30kV and see how it responds.
>>
>>52020851
You can swap them in the BIOS.
>>
>>52022259
>If you want thick and full power with more i/o than you'll ever need - mobile workstations still exist. They aren't going anywhere soon.
But that's the thing: why do we need to split the world between stupidly thing and light netbooks, and 17" docked workstations? The T410 I'm using is a great compromise. It has tons of connectivity and swappable parts, yet it's 14" and doesn't weight that much. I shouldn't have to pick between a 500g netbook with 2 USB ports and a Qosmio. It's like we only have extremes, and the middle-ground are 15.6" 1366x768 Acer models.

>everyone fucking hates carrying around a massive laptop
That's the thing, it's not massive. 14" 5lb is perfectly acceptable for everyone who isn't a little girl. Gaming laptops are bigger and weight more, yet those still sell.
>>
>>52022439
>business laptops
>gaming laptops
>comparable demographics

Just shut up while you're ahead.
>>
>>52021249
Every one of my coworker liked my ThinkPad Carbon compared to the other laptops I had.
You're retarded if you think people don't want thin laptops.
>>
File: hp-elitebook-840-g1-h5g31ea.jpg (353 KB, 1920x1077) Image search: [Google]
hp-elitebook-840-g1-h5g31ea.jpg
353 KB, 1920x1077
>>52022439
Talking about swappable parts: it's totally possible to have an ultrabook that doesn't sacrifice.
>>
>>52021249
>I squat 180lb
Not gonna make it brah
>>
>>52021073
Not that guy you're replying to, but how can you be sure?
>>
>>52020145
It looks so good. I just wish they'd at least make the FN and ctrl keys the same size so you can swap them out.

Also, the x series of tablets also needs some retros. the twisty screen is a whole lot more useful than one that just flips backwards.
>>
>>52022701
some bullshit that I don't remember, but it's pretty easy to figure out if you know what you're doing, and the guys that do know how to figure it out do so constantly because they're all insane.
>>
File: macbookproram-550x381.jpg (49 KB, 550x381) Image search: [Google]
macbookproram-550x381.jpg
49 KB, 550x381
Why don't other manufactures do similar silicon level design as Apple, their MBs are really fucking well designed and the part placement is really thought out.
>>
>>52022756
looking pretty doesn't mean it's doing its job
>>
>>52022485
Workstations are business laptops that weigh as much as gaming monsters. Different demographics, both have sub-segments who are willing to carry around big laptops that serve their needs better. L2read.

>>52022622
How recent is that Elitebook?
>>
>m-muh electronic fedora
>muh laptop aesthetics

Kill yourself
>>
>>52022773
>design is just about looks
wew
>>
>>52022756
>their MBs are really fucking well designed and the part placement is really thought out.
Source? I really don't see what's special about painting everything in shades of grey.
>>
>>52022812
the faggot in >>52022756 is literally only saying it because it looks organized, which is not how electronics are supposed to be laid out. ask fucking any tech that works on apple shit. they're garbage.
>>
File: frbrwoaexos5p1kwb4bf.jpg (947 KB, 1920x1448) Image search: [Google]
frbrwoaexos5p1kwb4bf.jpg
947 KB, 1920x1448
>>52022787
you can buy one now

840 g2

this is the old fat one, 8470p
>>
>>52022787
Workstations are also known as desktop replacements, just like Gaming laptops.

The demographics are not comparable to what most users of business laptops want or need. Again, quit while you're ahead. The majority of people don't get a laptop to have a powerful heavy machine, they often get it as either a lightweight mobile compliment to a standard desktop set up or a day-to-day driver because they don't need all that much power.

For fuck's sake the ULV C2D in my X200s is perfectly adequate for most daily tasks, let alone modern Core i processors.
>>
File: Smiling_redhead_girl.jpg (102 KB, 391x437) Image search: [Google]
Smiling_redhead_girl.jpg
102 KB, 391x437
>>52022756
>well designed
yeah man can't put a fucking vent to keep it from getting to 90c but yeah you're right what a good design oh my fucking god just kill yourself you fucking waste of space
>>
>>52022839
sort of this

2gb ram with a C2D t7300 seems to handle everything I throw at it on Lubuntu, don't know how it'd handle Windows 7/10, though.
>>
>>52022868
It'd probably handle it just fine provided you're using an SSD and disable a bunch of the bloated special effects.

I've got 4GB of RAM and an SSD in this one, so I mean I'm fairly confident that if I cared enough, it'd run Windows 10 like a champ.
>>
>>52021019
>>52020993
squarer displays are way more useful for information processing and other real work jobs you would be doing on a portable system

put down your shitty TV shows and movies for once and do something productive, they'll still be at home when you're done
>>
>>52022773
>>52022822
>>52022823
>>52022843
You guys are so salty, why?

It's pretty hard to dispute what Apple has done and how successful their take has been.
I wouldn't own one, but I don't hate them, the users on the other hand..

Thogh sometimes I think TP lovers are worse then Apple fags..
>>
>>52022839
>blah blah blah processing power
Anon I never said we need 4700K's in laptops, I have no clue why you keep bringing this up. My point about bigger laptops was to accomodate for better cooling and more battery and connectivity.
>blah blah blah the majority
I never said everyone should use a ThinkPad, or even most users. For fuck's sake, if you're not going to read my post properly, don't bother arguing Most people use sedans, should we stop making SUVs and trucks because of this? Most people use use 200$ phones, should we stop selling flagships? Most people use 30$ shirts, is Rick Owens foreclosing?
Your whole point is that most people want light laptops, and my point is that we don't have to only sell what the majority wants because that's already a very competitive market: every single brand already manufactures those, and often better than lenovo.
>Again, quit while you're ahead.
Jesus, stop spouting your meme, no one's impressed.
>>
>>52023022
dell e6440
t440p

better buy one quick as they are going to die out soon
>>
>>52023018
>exactly 0 points as to what's impressive on a pic of laptop insides painted black
>LMAO U MAD WHY U H8 APPLE
Macfags, everyone.
>>
>>52021759

As someone who owns a small collection of older thinkpads (T, A, G, X, and a few Z series thinkpads) they had fucking hardware issues, dude. T42p models with the ATi FireGL GPUs had their fucking southbridges desolder after enough use, and the only way to fix it, is to reball the fucking GPU/Southbridge combo. Not to mention almost all T4x series Thinkpads had other southbridge issues that caused failure, eventually.
Docks and replicators for the G series (As well as other early thinkpads models) couldn't do more than 1280x1024 over DVI. Comes from bad TDMS transmitters. Over VGA or other video sources, they could output more.
G41 thinkpads had issues with overheating from cheap thermal paste being used that dries up over time.

Thinkpads had their fair share of issues, dude. Yeah, some were built like tanks, and I like them for that. And I loved their no-nonsense attitude to design and specs. But don't try to claim that Thinkpads were bulletproof designs when it came to quality. Cause nobody out there has made a zero-issue laptop. Not IBM, Not Lenovo, Not Apple, Not Asus, Not nobody.
>>
>>52023022
>better cooling and more battery and connectivity.

You don't need a bigger laptop for that. My 8 year old x200s weighs around as much as a Macbook Air, has adequate processing power and cooling, has access to just about any connectivity option I could want, and has damn near 8 hours of battery life. Barring situations where you need more power, what's the point of making a laptop that much bigger?
>>
>>52023052
>Cause nobody out there has made a zero-issue laptop.
I never said they were perfect. Hand-crafted laptops would have issues, let alone mass-produced ones. I just said they were way better than average.

>>52023082
If someone sold an x220T body with broadwell insides, I'd be all over that.
Also I always felt that 12" was too small, especially in 16:9. 14" is a small improvement, but noticeable. So if you're going to make the body bigger to have a bigger screen, then you can use that extra space for all of that.
>>
>>52023154
The X200s isn't 16:9. It's 16:10, 1440x900. Lovely little machine.
>>
>>52020145

Definitely buying an x92 whenever it comes out. It seems like it will be the the logical upgrade to the x220, fixing the obvious flaws (touchpad, screen resolution, outdated processor).
>>
File: dell-xps-0212.0.jpg (288 KB, 2040x1360) Image search: [Google]
dell-xps-0212.0.jpg
288 KB, 2040x1360
>>52023154
Why not put a 13" screen in a 12" chassis.
>>
>>52021759
>MSI monstrosity
Actually I've heard it's not that bad, assuming you can get past the way it looks
>>
>>52023196
Do you have a link for this?
>>
My T61P had a 1920x1200 screen and it was great. Granted, it still had a Core 2 Duo, but it was nice.
>>
>>52023022

>better cooling

Don't need good cooling if you're not generating much heat to begin with

>battery

small laptop with 9-cell == same size/weight as big laptop with 6-cell

>Connectivity

3 USB ports, a video out and *maybe* an ethernet jack cover 99% of all business uses.

You are part of the vanishingly small percentage of users who wants to play Fallout 4 or compile firefox in the middle of a cave or something.

I love old thinkpads too, I'm using one right now. The truth is that a 5 lb laptop with 2 hrs of battery life is not the best option in 2015 for your average excel drone.
>>
>>52023314
>*maybe* an ethernet jack
>maybe
fucking kys sincerely me
>>
>>52023253

No, just assuming there will be an x92 and a w92 to go with the T92. If I'm wrong I will be very surprised, and extremely disappointed
>>
File: mr-bean-magic.gif (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
mr-bean-magic.gif
3 MB, 480x360
>>52022823
>it looks organized
>which is not how electronics are supposed to be laid out
From an engineering standpoint, you'd figure organization would mean better maintainability? Wouldn't hurt, I bet. Enjoy your spaghetti circuits.

>ask fucking any tech that works on apple shit.
It's shit if you don't do your tech work at the Apple Store. Anything remotely too complicated just means you just replace the fucking thing with a new one.
>>
>>52023332

I work at a major manufacturing facility, I guarantee you've heard of it.

Most of the factory floor is not wired with ethernet. The plant managers carry their laptops around from station to station as problems arise and for impromptu meetings, discuss process flow improvements, etc.

If you're doing something that needs more speed and security than strong crypto over enterprise AC, you're probably not using a laptop anyways, or you're part of the 1% I was talking about.
>>
>>52023332
Go back to bed Grandpa
>>
>>52023491
>tfw only use ethernet
master race reporting in
>>
>>52023052
>Cause nobody out there has made a zero-issue laptop.

Of the four ThinkPads I've owned, my W520 has been the only one that didn't go back for service. Which is weird, since it's the only one that didn't have an IBM logo. For comparison, my T21 had two screen replacements because the backlights kept dying.

I hate what has been done to the design of the new ThinkPads, but that needs to laid at the feet of the design team. Not necessarily Lenovo.
>>
>>52021000
fukken this
>>
>>52020145
It's because they are releasing P50 and P70
>>
>>52021301
Vape/10
>>
>>52020145
All they need to do is get the t450 and put that keyboard in and a 16:10 panel.
The t450 is almost perfect but it's missing those two features.
To make it legendary tier it would require two ram slots and a cpu like the MacBook pros have.
>>
it's a PR stunt for Chinkovo and it's not going anywhere
Do you really think they're going to waste resources building a retro Chinkpad when they moved away from that manufacturing style years ago?
We've been meemd
>>
>>52020145
you people are just as bad the XP nostaliga faggots. let it go, all good things come to an end.
>>
>>52021301
I know this probably isn't the place but man, my X60 heats up like fucking crazy if I run it for an hour or so. Not sure about you but despite my love for the thing, it gets too damn hot to use daily.
>>
>>52026088
>heats up like fucking crazy

I assume you've taken it apart and cleaned the fan blades and heat sink vanes?
>>
>>52024640
This
Apart from screen ratio the p50 is everything a "retro" thinkpad should be and then some
>>
>>52021092
Black bars aren't the problem. A 4:3 screen doesn't have as much horizontal space unless you buy a fuck huge screen.
>>
Hold out for retro or get T60, boyos.
>>
>>52026086
>windows

wrong board retard

>>>/v/
>>
>>52026366
Indeed. I've seen people suggest replacing the wireless card but I haven't gotten around to updating/flashing the bios.
>>
>>52026369
Really? I'm looking for an upgrade for the x220. Smaller and lighter with more RAM would be a dream.
>>
>>52022988
Nobody makes 4:3 screens anymore. No matter how much it's wanted, 4:3 was never a viable choice.
>>
File: better_even_inside.jpg (288 KB, 800x1360) Image search: [Google]
better_even_inside.jpg
288 KB, 800x1360
what is your excuse thinkfags?
>>
>>52028136

We already covered this. Read the thread before shitposting.
>>
File: hot_chinkpad.jpg (176 KB, 3262x574) Image search: [Google]
hot_chinkpad.jpg
176 KB, 3262x574
>>52028159
> muh shades of grey
> muh overheating Macs
Macbooks only overheat if you're a normie running shitty bloated malware and can't even install smcFanControl to personalize the fan speeds and keep if fucking cool, right now my fucking quad-core haslel i7 macbook is running at 36ºC, probably cooler than most dual core thinkfags here. Why is it so cool? because Apple manages to put two fans inside, while lenovo sticks with only one fan. Apple manages to fit more fans and a bigger battery, that makes a fucking quad-core laptop with great battery life (9 hours, more than double the average thinkfag).

Thinkfags will never comprehend this. Lenovo is shit!
>>
>>52028225
Sure but it's still a Mac.
Almost useless to engineers.
Macs are good if you're a feeble bodied webdev cûck. You know the kind, glasses, long hair, super skinny and pale, less muscle than a freshman girls basketball point guard. They're nice looking laptops though.
>>
File: pluto_cheer.jpg (180 KB, 780x520) Image search: [Google]
pluto_cheer.jpg
180 KB, 780x520
>>52028298
epic xD upvoted and subscribed

> pic related is the new horizons team cheering during pluto approach
>>
>>52028316
that's the communication team
>>
File: thinkpads everywhere.jpg (108 KB, 620x432) Image search: [Google]
thinkpads everywhere.jpg
108 KB, 620x432
>>52028351
how do you know that? Do you work there?
>>
>multi-coloured thinkpad logo

i don't want this
>>
>>52028047
3:2 is fairly popular
>>
>>52028394
>>52028316
Nasa uses mainframe-designed Russian rockets to do everything.

Are mainframes better than macs?
>>
>>52028408
They had surveys on the final design if they were to make this where everyone pretty much unanimously agreed that was a shit idea.
>>
>>52028394
because it's the communication team. idk how else to explain this to you. i've been following the new horizons project since they launched
>>
>>52028424
Please note that they can't design working spaceship for the past 2 decades.
>>
>>52028427
i don't understand your post
>>
>>52028439
Sorry I'm tripping I shouldn't have posted lol
>>
File: P1000909.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
P1000909.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
>>52020145
Why is it missing back/forward buttons ?
>>
>>52028433
Lol not true they've literally designed space shuttles on these laptops you know shit
>>
>>52028485
i can't comment on what laptops they used, presumably they used many different laptops, some tasks being better suited for one device over another
>>
>>52028471
XD
>>
>>52028507
Don't.
>>
>>52022787
my m3800 workstation weights just under 5lbs
>>
>>52028485
>Lol not true they've literally designed space shuttles on these laptops you know shit

go kill yourself
>>
>>52022439
the new p70 is quite nice:
xeon
64GB ECC
2xNVWe + normal SATA
good display with calibration

http://shop.lenovo.com/at/de/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p70
>>
>>52021301
Do you use the broadcom crystal HD card for watching videos?
>>
>>52021759
>>>52021461
>>even the old ibm ones had hardware issues, don't whitewash their history
>Yet you can run an IBM thinkpad with a pickup truck and it will boot fine. I can find a way to fuck up a tank, doesn't mean all tanks have shit build quality.
Every single T61 I've owned has died due to the nvidia issue. My T42 died due to the fans dying after 4 years.
>They do, unless you're obviously comparing a Pentium IBM thinkpad to a modern laptop, because then lo and behold the one with the 15W TDP and SSD wins. It's not magic, modern laptop hardware uses less po
>Anyway, my point is that if you use current hardware with the old design you'd have the space for good cooling, tons of ports
I agree with keeping the old design, just update the monitor and ports. HDMI and the new USB instead of modem and the old VGA connector.
>>
>>52028935
>2000-5000€
No
>>
>>52021301
>original and actual digi-fucking-mon
thanks for making me feel old on christmas eve, asshat.
>>
>>52030188
At least you don't have a fucking surgical drain stuck in your side.

>tfw probably won't even be able to go to any family Christmas dinners

At least I've got my X200s, a 1TB drive filled with around 300+ GB of backlogged anime, and a comfy couch.
>>
File: 1240236749520.jpg (100 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1240236749520.jpg
100 KB, 640x480
>>52028476
this

Do they really HAVE to remove usefull features?
Like, does it cause them pain when we have nice things?
>>
>>52029463
you don't need one. the x60s can play 720p x264 10-bit even using an intensive player like mpc-hc with madvr. never tested 1080p, no real point considering the screen and no digital output. I even got the same video playing (mostly) smooth on my x41t using the old smplayer2, mpv probably works even better. that crystal HD card is only useful for really underpowered shit like an acer aspire one.
>>
>>52022756
>apple
It's as of they altered the ideal efficient design because it 'looks pretty', how unusual for them
>>
>>52028471
enjoy! I understood your post.
>>
>>52021249
oh you squat 180 lb? wow im impressed :-O
>>
>>52021301
>two scars in the display
Like a true war-torn hero

Respect
>>
>>52028316
>>52028394
>they work with rockets and thus know everything! ThinkFags BTFO!
>>
>>52031299
To be fair as a child those buttons would frequently be mis-pressed but I'm sure now I would appreciate them.
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.